What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put in a starter clutch from ideal. The bolts were got long enough to peen over
So I mushroomed them in place,used generous amounts of locktite. one broken bolt head
So I drilled it down the center and tapped it out. The final technical method of removing the flywheel was to place the motor on the compression stroke and strike a half inch drive on the ratchet on the handle without over riding compression stroke using a two foot two by four.
ten whacks and it popped right off. User grade 10.9 bolts from bulldog hardware on the puller.l

Just finished putting fork seals in. I need to get oil for them tomorrow, and then put it back together. Can't wait to try out the progressive springs, thanks again Sean!!

Put in a starter clutch from ideal. The bolts were got long enough to peen over
So I mushroomed them in place,used generous amounts of locktite. one broken bolt head
So I drilled it down the center and tapped it out. The final technical method of removing the flywheel was to place the motor on the compression stroke and strike a half inch drive on the ratchet on the handle without over riding compression stroke using a two foot two by four.
ten whacks and it popped right off. User grade 10.9 bolts from bulldog hardware on the puller.l

I use 12.9 grade as i stretched 10.9 on a 40k mile vmax before.:bang head:

Just finished putting fork seals in. I need to get oil for them tomorrow, and then put it back together. Can't wait to try out the progressive springs, thanks again Sean!!

Night and day!

Let us know how you like them.

I ordered a new battery today. The "new" one that was put in prior to my purchase just sucks. I don't know if it has a bad cell or what so I ordered a Motobatt MB16AU today. It'll be here Friday, just in time for the weekend.

Steve-O put new progressive springs with a 2"lowering kit in my front forks and slid them up an inch in the tree's for a total of 3" in the front and I put 11.5"progressives in the back last year. What a difference, I'm 5'3" and could only manage to get my toe's on the ground with both feet down. Very difficult to do a proper burn out without more leverage to hold the bike back......not anymore. Just smoked up my parking lot and surly pissed my wife off but that was the best burnout I've ever done without the front tire up against a curb.

Good, glad that the bike feels better. I met Steve last year when i went to New York. GREAT guy, and with Steve doing it, you know that its done right.

Steve-O put new progressive springs with a 2"lowering kit in my front forks and slid them up an inch in the tree's for a total of 3" in the front and I put 11.5"progressives in the back last year. What a difference, I'm 5'3" and could only manage to get my toe's on the ground with both feet down. Very difficult to do a proper burn out without more leverage to hold the bike back......not anymore. Just smoked up my parking lot and surly pissed my wife off but that was the best burnout I've ever done without the front tire up against a curb.

Nice..
Would steve o do that for me?
I got the springs..but not all the tools that seem to be required for an efficient spring job..
I offer beer and or cold hard cash..and megaprops on the forum that seem to be beyond monetary value.
;)

Whatever happened to these 'tech days ' ive heard tell about?

Not that i have muxh to offer cept a 2 car garage beer/food /$ etc..

Seems like all the new england maxxers ive ever hung out with (all 3 of them) dissapeared from this site?..

There i go derailing again..my bad.

T $

Raining here today. I've been waxing, polishing and detailing the bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I guess this is more what I did 'FOR' my max today.
Recieved my order that i place to exactrep a few days ago. :punk:

Morgan Carbtune (insteada that clunker of my uncles)
And a lil more cosmetic 'enhancement'...

Photo attached..
T $

Attachments

• 20170622_131743.jpg
    20170622_131743.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 21
I guess this is more what I did 'FOR' my max today.
Recieved my order that i place to exactrep a few days ago. :punk:

Morgan Carbtune (insteada that clunker of my uncles)
And a lil more cosmetic 'enhancement'...

Photo attached..
T $

Nice choice on the v-stax. Same ones I bought. You can see them in my avatar.

I picked up a set of works shocks for the 86. I got them cheap enough so rebuilding them isnt an issue. I bought them from Don "Old Man" Smith. I always enjoy chatting with him, because I always learn something.

Attachments

• 20170623_124345.jpg
    20170623_124345.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 26
It's strange how all the works shocks are so different, even though they only list two models for the v-max. That's the 3rd configuration I've seen.

It's strange how all the works shocks are so different, even though they only list two models for the v-max. That's the 3rd configuration I've seen.

Well they only have 2 configurations, but its the options that they have that makes them different. I uploaded the latest PDF of the various options for Vmax. Those are even 14 inch shocks. I will have new rods put in, and put back to 13 inches.

Attachments

• Vmax works.pdf
    57.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Finally installed chrome res covers.
Hardware dint have stainless screws that size..so these will do for now.

Not bad for 7.99...

Removing the original screws...wow. good times.
Ive been dreading the removal for well over a year..and it wasnt as bad as i feared.

T $

Attachments

• 20170627_212501.jpg
    20170627_212501.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170627_212451.jpg
    20170627_212451.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 24
Replaced my stock upper throttle cables with some Motion Pro Stainless Steel braided lines. They look good up against my Galfer Stainless Steel braided brake/clutch lines.

I usually use a tight-fitting Phillips & an impact driver to bust them loose. I think that the larger dia of the impact driver makes it easier to torque them loose, I'll give a gentile attempt to twist them loose before I hit the impact tool.

Finally installed chrome res covers.
Hardware dint have stainless screws that size..so these will do for now.

Not bad for 7.99...

Removing the original screws...wow. good times.
Ive been dreading the removal for well over a year..and it wasnt as bad as i feared.

T $

I got the black ones, and found stainless screws.. I recall someone posted that he ground a cutout in the sealing edge of these covers.. Something about venting to prevent pressure building up?

Any idea on this, anyone? I can't find the post.

As far as what I did to my VMax today, I got a really nice 3D Tuning Fork emblem off EBay, and applied it a bit below the grab rail on my rear fender. Looks great, almost a perfect match for the emblems on the sides of the faux tank.

Latest posts

Back