Exhaust pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labargeblake

Reaction score
This might be an odd question and a little difficult to explain but when i put my hand behind each exhaust tail pipe, the right pipe has more pressure coming out than the left. Is this normal or does this mean I am having compression problems with one of the cylinders?

This might be an odd question and a little difficult to explain but when i put my hand behind each exhaust tail pipe, the right pipe has more pressure coming out than the left. Is this normal or does this mean I am having compression problems with one of the cylinders?

In my experience, if the bike is fully warmed up and idling, it's more likely you just need to synchronize your carburetors.

Much better than having a cylinder compression issue! :thumbs up:

Check the compression from the spark plug holes.

Start small first. Sync the carbs. That makes certain that all of the carbs are open to the same amount at the same time.

Mine is the same and has been since new - the HMF 4 to 2 exhaust makes it more obvious.

It's normal.

Mike

Make sure it's hitting on all 4 cyl. These bikes run impressively well on only 3. It's not far fetched to loose fire on once cyl with the aging HT leads, plug caps and where the HT lead exits the coil being an area commonly afflicted with corrosion. I like the downpipe spit sizzle test for quick verification that all 4 pots are doing their jobs.

If everything above is good I would ride and enjoy.

My bike with Over slip ons put way more steam out one side than the other when warming up. Most dual muffler bikes do this from memory - if they have a link pipe.
Do a standing start test in first with lots of throttle. If you dont grin its needs some work.

Latest posts

Back