Gettin Grips Off? Is there a trick?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
These friggin things will NOT budge, But in a bad way..I'm tryin to put on some standard (and smaller) Superbike grips(always use them).

I've changed grips on other Bikes , but these ones are killin me.
Is there a way to take them off without destroyin them? (if I have to I will, but they're in good shape, just too big n foamy for my pref.)

They do say yamaha on the ends, but these cant be factory, right?..

Thanks in advance gang.

T$

Attachments

• 20140729_121850.jpg
    20140729_121850.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Those are not OEM. I usually pry a long thin screwdriver under one side, squirt in some WD40 and gently move the screwdriver around twisting the grip till it slides off.

Loosen the switch housings and slide them away from chrome ring on the grip. Right side housing has to come apart first! I slide my skinniest flat blade screwdriver with any kind of spray lube in and around. You got to work it around the grip and the air compressor helps push the lube around.
I am constantly twisting the grip too. Be sure to clean the bar before install the new grips.

grip_wire.jpg

Get a piece of wire and bend like above. Insert the end between the grip and bar or throttle tube. Spin the wire and it'll walk all the way around the grip breaking the adhesive as it goes. Still a little work to get off after that but works like a champ! Once the adhesive is broken it's way easier to get some wd-40 in there if you need to. Good luck.

No mine where oem Rubber grips i done this on several sport bikes an dirt bikes i just injected the wd right through the rubber grip at each end an a lil in the middle an with a slight twist the come right off

Wow..lots of great ideas here.. thanks.
Looks like ill try to remove the switch housings and take it from there..I was hopin It wld be quick/ easy enough to where I could do it on my lunch break at work.

Thanks again for all the ssuggestions. Ill post again when I eventually get it sorted.

T $

Latest posts

Back