VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Guys. I am making progress and thought I would share some photos of what I found so far.

I have purchased some tools, downloaded the vmax manuals, and yesterday for the first time ever changed out my own spark plugs. Not knowing what is normal, it appears to me these plugs were quite clogged up. Do you concur? (see photos below)

I wish I could say that solved the problem, but it didnt. I have been charging the battery over night incase it was too low to send enough spark to start. I trust this morning it will be at regular charge.

Next, I plan to take Alorios suggestion of "open the drain screw on each carb one at a time and cycle the key a couple of times while the drain screw is open. If the float is stuck ,you will see very little fuel but I don't think that will be the case. Anyway do this for all 4 carbs one at a time". I have to admit that it is not clear to me which is the drain screw. Does anyone have a photo or more detailed description which it is? Translating the manual to the actual bike is still not clear to me on this.

Finally let me say that even though I am sweating my ass off doing all this in the Florida summer weather, with no air conditioned garage to work in...just a covered porch area...this 60 yr old is enjoying the challenge of fixing this on my own for the first time ever. Who says an old dog can't learn new skills? :eusa_dance:

Attachments

• vmax1.jpg
    vmax1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 30
  • vmax repair2.jpg
    vmax repair2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 32
  • dirty plugs.jpg
    dirty plugs.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 36
  • dirty plug.jpg
    dirty plug.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 38
  • carbs2.jpg
    carbs2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 32
  • carbs.jpg
    carbs.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 31
Too bad you're in Tampa except that when Kyle returns from his TX vacation you can get his help (take your bike to him & let him work on it for you).

You can build your mechanical skills from reading & posting on here. Then try simple stuff yourself. Soon you will be trying more and saving $$! over what shops want.

Next, I plan to take Alorios suggestion of "open the drain screw on each carb one at a time and cycle the key a couple of times while the drain screw is open. If the float is stuck ,you will see very little fuel but I don't think that will be the case. Anyway do this for all 4 carbs one at a time". I have to admit that it is not clear to me which is the drain screw. Does anyone have a photo or more detailed description which it is? Translating the manual to the actual bike is still not clear to me on this.

Here is a pic of the drain screw.

Attachments

• shotgun4.jpg
    shotgun4.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 21
Thanks guys. I was able to identity the drain screws and performed that drainage. Here is where I have a couple questions. I forgot to turn over the starter while doing this a couple times as someone suggested to do. BUT...I only got gas coming out of the two left cylinders. Nothing came out of the two right ones. Then I thought it was the angle of the bike on the kickstand...but when I stood the bike upright...still nothing came out of the right carb pots. Does this mean something to anybody?

The battery is on 100% charge and is strong...but still no fire. I was hoping the plugs and draining the pots would "do the trick" before having to study or dig into electrical issues which I am a bit more afraid of.

Still perplexed in Tampa...but still want to find the solution. I really didnt want to wait until Kyle returns from vacation to ride. I get depressed each evening as the sun starts going down... Its like having a beautiful sleek naked lady on my front porch...and I can't do anything with her. :)

The float's are stuck on the two right ones.May tap them a lil.I didnt ride mine for a couple of months and all were stuck.Best of luck.

sounds like it could be 2 possibilities:

1) the float valve is stuck shut not letting fuel into the bowl.
2) the bowl or the drain hose has crud caked in it that will not allow fuel to flow out of the hose

that being said, if you did not turn the key on, those bowls may not have been full to begin with . you might try to crack the drain screw on one carb and then turn the key on for a couple of seconds to allow the fuel pump to run. turn the key off and wait for the fuel to stop flowing. tighten the screw and examine the fuel that came out. repeat on the remaining 3 carbs.

You don't have to spin the engine for the fuel pump to send gas to the carbs, just turn the key on wait a few second and cycle the key again. You might have settlement in the bottom of the carbs covering the drain hole. I would loosen the drain screw or remove it completely and blow some carb cleaner up the the hoses and the drain screw holes. You must have some crud lying in your carb bowls and a good cleaning of the internals is in order.

Wd 40 is fine, compressed air in the can for cleaning computer parts ect. I think the WD 40 is a good idea.... If you have a helper to assist you then you could tap on each carb as suggested while performing this procedure.

Spray it in the drain tubes, or other areas as well? And how hard should I be hitting the covers? Would it help to take the covers off? Is there risk in that the spring and everything else comes apart with the cover?

Hi 54,
Tap the carbs no harder than you would "tap" your hand. A hard plastic hammer is the tool.

I know this will sound way out there but I've done it twice ( in 54 years of motorcycling)----There is a shut-off switch on the right handle bar,at the brake handle swichergear--Could it have been accidently switched to off??

Once you get it running, a sycronazation of the 4 carbs would be in order.

Goodluck,
Lew

PS: Get a fan out there. Us old folks don't do as well as the young'ns:flamethrower:

I know this will sound way out there but I've done it twice ( in 54 years of motorcycling)----There is a shut-off switch on the right handle bar,at the brake handle swichergear--Could it have been accidently switched to off??
+1 on this suggestion my uncle had his bike towed home because of this !

I will check that in the morning. Is that the same switch as "reserve tank"? Still...how would that explain getting no gas from the right hand carbs when i try and drain the bowls? I have tried everything but gotten NO gas from the right hand carb bowls.

Thanks again for everyones continued ideas...

Nope. Red rocker switch on right handlebar switch assembly that says off/run.

No...the off/run switch has never been the issue. Always first thing I check when starting.

I am still convinced it has something to do with the 2 right side carbs that I can't drain any gas from. If the floats are stuck...they are stuck good. I have tapped and tapped. Any other ideas how to get them to release? Does it make any difference that the bike is leaning on the kickstand? I don't have anyone else with me to hold it upright very easily. Would blowing air through the top of each carb do anything to help that? I have no air blower here...but I have plenty of hot air in my lungs :).

Having the bike on the kickstand should not cause you any issues. As far as blowing air into the gas lines to free up the floats...in theory it sounds doable...there is 1 fuel line going from the fuel pump to the carb rack...disconnect that at the carb rack and gently (like 10PSI) shoot air into that line (it splits into 4 feeding each carb - you'll have to remove the air box to get to it)...I'd leave the drain screws open and you should hear/feel the air at each rubber rubber drain hose.

Someone please chime in if this is an incredibly bad idea...it's the best I can think of without pulling the rack...

No...the off/run switch has never been the issue. Always first thing I check when starting.

I am still convinced it has something to do with the 2 right side carbs that I can't drain any gas from. If the floats are stuck...they are stuck good. I have tapped and tapped. Any other ideas how to get them to release? Does it make any difference that the bike is leaning on the kickstand? I don't have anyone else with me to hold it upright very easily. Would blowing air through the top of each carb do anything to help that? I have no air blower here...but I have plenty of hot air in my lungs :).

How about pulling the entire carb rack and going through them? It isn't all that hard to do. Or make arrangements to have someone else go through them when you get them off.

Seek CaptainKyle's counsel when he's back from vacation in TX. You should be very-close to him, being in Tampa. He's in Oldsmar. I'd give the bike to him and let him do what needs to be done, you aren't gonna find any local talent who can fix it right, quicker, sooner, (and cheaper!) than he'll be able-to.

It sounds like to you, working on the bike is a big jump in your abilities' being-asked to accomplish. With time, and lots of reading, and experimenting on your own, you may be able to build your knowlege base and wrenching abilities but for-now, let someone competent, reliable, and affordable fix your bike. Then you can enjoy riding it.

Nothing helpful to add..but I will say welcome to the forum.. and I applaud your willingness to attempt some work on the bike having no previous experience.

While your waiting for kyle to return..I reccomend spending your free time on the forum. There is soooo much info that is available at your fingertips here. Best forum ever.

Back