On the fence...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspauldi1

Reaction score
So just recently out of the hospital after my 3rd back surgery, 2nd in 6 months. I decided to hit the rest button on motorcycling and give this old body a chance to heal and maybe take a new direction in life.

First up was/is to sell the bikes currently in the garage.
I sold my 93 max with less than 10k original miles within days.
I have a deposit on my 01 Suzuki bandit 1200 and it should be gone within a week.
I have an 09 zx14 turbo bike which has taken me 3 years to build and get perfect. Currently striping off all the goodies in prep for sale.. I.e carbon fiber wheels with ceramic bearings removed and on Dallas CL, Ohlins suspension on ebay, and many other parts but can't remove them till some healing takes place.

This leaves me with the 95 Vmax which currently has a bad motor. And here is where I am on thefence. I could replace the motor and sell it, I could part it out or I could rebuild it, take my time and build something nice. I don't have much money into it so it's not tying up resourses.

So, question is what are my chances of finding a rebuildable tourmaster to have a good platform to start with? If I am gonna do it I would like to build something special... or should I just clean the garage out and try to replace my beloved hobby with something else,,, basketweaving?

Thanks Guys,
Rick

Keep it, rebuild it, as part of your own recovery
Take your time
maybe you'll sell it, maybe you won't

After having 3 neck surgeries, which were not successful by no means, I still kept my old 85 vmax and even drove 1400 miles to buy an 04 1260 vmax. Motorcycling is in my blood and even though some days I am in so much pain I can't ride, but dam it I am keeping mine and when I get the urge to ride, it's there and will be till I die..........

After having 3 neck surgeries, which were not successful by no means, I still kept my old 85 vmax and even drove 1400 miles to buy an 04 1260 vmax. Motorcycling is in my blood and even though some days I am in so much pain I can't ride, but dam it I am keeping mine and when I get the urge to ride, it's there and will be till I die..........

+1 ....I would suggest keeping it, and work on it as part of your recovery. It will be good therapy.

Now I feel stupid after reading the thread. I was gonna say dump the last Max as you have unceremoniously dumped the the other bikes already. Your words say one thing initially and then you have grandiose plans for a parts bike?
If you get it done, you'll still have a crap back and then you'll have to sell it with which you will lose your ass off on the great motor build.
Ask CaptainKyle how his back does on a Max and a Goldwing.
Spinal injuries suck. I have two fractures and am the exception to debilitating and chronic pain I see others suffer. In the end no one but you knows how your back feels but I suppose there is merit in asking fellow members experiences.

Like you, I have back issues from a career of strenuous physical labor. Now I am paying the price. Thankfully, I haven't had to go to the table & knife. Kyle can ride his Gold Wing to TX from FL but riding locally all-day on the 'Max can leave him prostrate in bed.

Since you're selling the other stuff, know you will never recover the $ of a hot-rod build. I suggest do a mild build unless you call PCW or Sean & find a heckuva-deal on a modded engine.

My opinion is to sell it with the rest. Wait until you heal , ( as best as you are able to ) , " A man has to know his limitations . " Then decide if two wheeling , three wheeling , or four wheeling suits you the best. Good luck on the healing and stay on the forum.

So just recently out of the hospital after my 3rd back surgery, 2nd in 6 months. I decided to hit the rest button on motorcycling and give this old body a chance to heal and maybe take a new direction in life.

First up was/is to sell the bikes currently in the garage.

I sold my 93 max with less than 10k original miles within days.

I have a deposit on my 01 Suzuki bandit 1200 and it should be gone within a week.

I have an 09 zx14 turbo bike which has taken me 3 years to build and get perfect. Currently striping off all the goodies in prep for sale.. I.e carbon fiber wheels with ceramic bearings removed and on Dallas CL, Ohlins suspension on ebay, and many other parts but can't remove them till some healing takes place.

This leaves me with the 95 Vmax which currently has a bad motor. And here is where I am on thefence. I could replace the motor and sell it, I could part it out or I could rebuild it, take my time and build something nice. I don't have much money into it so it's not tying up resourses.

So, question is what are my chances of finding a rebuildable tourmaster to have a good platform to start with? If I am gonna do it I would like to build something special... or should I just clean the garage out and try to replace my beloved hobby with something else,,, basketweaving?

Thanks Guys,

Rick

You got a few back surgeries on me but after I broke my back playing football the doctor told me I couldn't play football, ride motorcycles, or even golf.

I do all of them plus more I prob shouldn't except football as the way I live life is by doing what I enjoy and love, once what I enjoy and love is gone, figure the rest is history and would rather go out by causing it myself and having fun doing it rather than just wasting through the days not having fun so the back lasts until old age takes it anyways.

So the question is what do you prioritize more. Enjoying what you are passionate about or making it last as long as possible by putting restrictions on your lifestyle?

Good luck
Justin

Thanks for the input Guys, I really appreciate the advice. Like the subject title says "on the fence" which translates to I have no idea which direction to take with the last bike. I guess for now I'll let it sit until we can make a more informed physical assessment.
thanks,
rick

Let the last Max sit isn't costing you anything and does not commit you to anything you'll regret later. If you need to sell it on down the road, it will still be worth the same $. I think doing nothing now is a great decision! Welcome from the fence.

I certainly agree that it could be therapy building another bike. I enjoy working on bikes as much as I do riding them. If I could get a good lift and a supportive "roller" chair and limit myself to a couple hours a day I think I can do it. In the past I would spend every waking moment in the man cave working on something. Shining this, rebuilding that, fixing the other, always something to do. Limiting it to one bike, then limiting the amount of hours sounds doable.

I think I might spend some time (I have plenty of it these days) trying to source some parts and see what I can find.

thanks guys, it helps to get on here and toss ideas around and listen to others..

Keep her mate, I'm currently laid up with a broken foot. knowing that I have my max to go back to is the only thing keeping me happy. I'm out there working on her to make sure she's the best she can be for when I'm back it's good therapy :D.

sorry to hear about you leg... I do believe I will keep the ole Max. I haven't shown her much love since I picked her up. When I can start getting around without the assistance of a walker I'll yank the cover off and give it a good lookin over...

I did spend sometime looking on eBay and local CL for a motor, pretty slim pickins out there. If you guys know someone with a motor (can even have a bad trans as mine is good) lemme know.
thanks,
rick

sorry to hear about you leg... I do believe I will keep the ole Max. I haven't shown her much love since I picked her up. When I can start getting around without the assistance of a walker I'll yank the cover off and give it a good lookin over...

I did spend sometime looking on eBay and local CL for a motor, pretty slim pickins out there. If you guys know someone with a motor (can even have a bad trans as mine is good) lemme know.
thanks,
rick

Joe at boxenstopp may have a few to pick from

http://www.boxenstoppdaytona.com/boxenstoppcatalog.pdf

Joes number is 3eight6 226-2o77

Back