This is the VMAX I pick up Friday.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxl3969

Reaction score
Anyone know this bike? I'm buying it out of WI. It's suppose to have head work, vboost delete, Kirker 4 into 1 header, cams and so on.

Nice lookin' bike! :clapping:

Wouldn't hurt to get some documentation on the motor work, not saying it wasn't done but it's always nice to get all the info you can.

Congrats! :punk:

Thanks, I doubt the guy that owns it now has that but I really don't care because this winter it will be a huge make over on power.

Don't know the bike....but I absolutely love that Blue!!! It was a tough choice between the red I have and a nice blue...seeing that blue is making me second guess myself :(

Don't know the bike....but I absolutely love that Blue!!! It was a tough choice between the red I have and a nice blue...seeing that blue is making me second guess myself :(

I liked the blue too and sorry to make you 2nd guess yourself lol.

Anybody notice the wheels. Look either painted or Powdercoated. Sorta lightens up the look of the front end. I like the overall execution. Of course you can't go wrong with the Kerker. Why mess with the motor?

Anybody notice the wheels. Look either painted or Powdercoated. Sorta lightens up the look of the front end. I like the overall execution. Of course you can't go wrong with the Kerker. Why mess with the motor?

The need for speed is the only reason to mess with the motor. :biglaugh:

Yeah...I don't know...and they look like different colors but I'm sure that's just a lighting effect...

Pretty daring painting the frame white but it works to me.

Yea that doesn't work for me, one of the first things I'm changing on it. I guess there is a possibility I could like it once I see it in person.

Great looking bike, just a suggestion but after you ride it for awhile your probably going to want to change the turning and stopping, if you do that first you may find you enjoy the power you have because you can use it to it's full potential.

I actually looked at this bike to buy last week and was very disappointed in what I saw. The pictures look better than the bike in person. The frame looked to be Powdercoated white and was chipped in a few spots, the chrome is pitted and needs attention all over. The motor was built to run on race gas "100 octane or higher" from what the owner told me. The front left rotor was covered in oil from what appeared to be a fork seal leaking. The bike did start right up and seemed to run good for the minute he had it running. I passed on buying it as the bike seemed to be a mid/early 90's race build that needs some updating. I was looking for more a daily usable type of bike and felt this bike was more a weekend toy. That's just my thoughts. I wouldn't ride the bike with the front brakes the way they are so I hope your bringing a trailer.

Sounds like a neglected bike which has tell-tale signs of lack of maintenance. If that's the case for important things like the brakes, you should be able to get it for less than average. If he wants 'fair-market value,' meaning the price a bike in good shape would bring, I also would recommend not-purchasing it. Walk-away. If he's wanting to sell, you should be able to get it for less. He wants $3850, it's been on CL for >2 weeks and wonder of wonders, no one wants to give him that! If you really want it, I'd say bring $2500 and either have him demonstrate 2nd gear works when you hammer-open the throttle from about 5K in that gear, and run it to 8K+ in 1st, and shift to 2nd. If it's gonna jump out of gear, either of those are gonna do it. Also, let the bike idle for about ten minutes and see if it overheats, it shouldn't. Check the oil window for white-filmy, 'milky-looking' oil, a sogn of a coolant leak into the oil system, which could be head gaskets, a failed water pump seal, bad O-rings for the crossover tube in the middle of each head, etc. If it has overheating or the milky-oil, offer $1K because it will probably cost you that to fix it if you do much of the work yourself.

Does this look familiar? http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/4567543090.html
00606_5dzL8FL1xqe_600x450.jpg

I have a 1986 Yamaha VMax. The heads have been modified and has aftermarket cams. It has the v-boost delete so all 4 carbs are always working. It also has a 4-1 header with a Kerker slip on. The bike has tons of power. The previous owner ran a 9.9 sec 1/4 mile with it. The bike has 26,000 miles on it but the engine has about 13,000 since it was rebuilt. It also has a full race kevlar clutch in it. There are all kinds of other mods done to it, but to appreciate it more you really need to come see it.

You might not believe it, but here is where a well-maintained totally-stock bike is worth more than this hot-rod. It will be to you, if you don't have the $$$ to fix whatever is wrong w/this one. I checked other Milwaukee listings, and saw plenty of clean, newer bikes which would probably give you better service without the issues this one has which are visible, and who knows-what which aren't.

You like two women:

• one has plenty of visible tattoos, piercings enough to make a TSA airport screener sweat, and doesn't own a skirt which comes within six inches of her knees. She smokes 'vapes,' her hair color is something that never occurs naturally, and she wears 4" heels whenever she can. She's a bartender or a barista and her education stopped w/high school.
  • one went to college, finished, and has a civil service job, or works for a large corporation. She dresses conservatively for work, but displays a more-adventurous side away from the workplace. No tats, no smoking, no piercings. She likes to read for enjoyment, and was good at art in school.
Which one do you think your parents would want you to bring-home? :rofl_200:

Draw your own parallels to the bike in-question and an unmodified stocker which has been maintained and looks-it.:punk:

I actually looked at this bike to buy last week and was very disappointed in what I saw. The pictures look better than the bike in person. The frame looked to be Powdercoated white and was chipped in a few spots, the chrome is pitted and needs attention all over. The motor was built to run on race gas "100 octane or higher" from what the owner told me. The front left rotor was covered in oil from what appeared to be a fork seal leaking. The bike did start right up and seemed to run good for the minute he had it running. I passed on buying it as the bike seemed to be a mid/early 90's race build that needs some updating. I was looking for more a daily usable type of bike and felt this bike was more a weekend toy. That's just my thoughts. I wouldn't ride the bike with the front brakes the way they are so I hope your bringing a trailer.

Sounds like a neglected bike which has tell-tale signs of lack of maintenance. If that's the case for important things like the brakes, you should be able to get it for less than average. If he wants 'fair-market value,' meaning the price a bike in good shape would bring, I also would recommend not-purchasing it. Walk-away. If he's wanting to sell, you should be able to get it for less. He wants $3850, it's been on CL for >2 weeks and wonder of wonders, no one wants to give him that! If you really want it, I'd say bring $2500 and either have him demonstrate 2nd gear works when you hammer-open the throttle from about 5K in that gear, and run it to 8K+ in 1st, and shift to 2nd. If it's gonna jump out of gear, either of those are gonna do it. Also, let the bike idle for about ten minutes and see if it overheats, it shouldn't. Check the oil window for white-filmy, 'milky-looking' oil, a sogn of a coolant leak into the oil system, which could be head gaskets, a failed water pump seal, bad O-rings for the crossover tube in the middle of each head, etc. If it has overheating or the milky-oil, offer $1K because it will probably cost you that to fix it if you do much of the work yourself.

Does this look familiar? http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/4567543090.html
00606_5dzL8FL1xqe_600x450.jpg

I have a 1986 Yamaha VMax. The heads have been modified and has aftermarket cams. It has the v-boost delete so all 4 carbs are always working. It also has a 4-1 header with a Kerker slip on. The bike has tons of power. The previous owner ran a 9.9 sec 1/4 mile with it. The bike has 26,000 miles on it but the engine has about 13,000 since it was rebuilt. It also has a full race kevlar clutch in it. There are all kinds of other mods done to it, but to appreciate it more you really need to come see it.

You might not believe it, but here is where a well-maintained totally-stock bike is worth more than this hot-rod. It will be to you, if you don't have the $$$ to fix whatever is wrong w/this one. I checked other Milwaukee listings, and saw plenty of clean, newer bikes which would probably give you better service without the issues this one has which are visible, and who knows-what which aren't.

You like two women:

• one has plenty of visible tattoos, piercings enough to make a TSA airport screener sweat, and doesn't own a skirt which comes within six inches of her knees. She smokes 'vapes,' her hair color is something that never occurs naturally, and she wears 4" heels whenever she can. She's a bartender or a barista and her education stopped w/high school.
  • one went to college, finished, and has a civil service job, or works for a large corporation. She dresses conservatively for work, but displays a more-adventurous side away from the workplace. No tats, no smoking, no piercings. She likes to read for enjoyment, and was good at art in school.
Which one do you think your parents would want you to bring-home? :rofl_200:

Draw your own parallels to the bike in-question and an unmodified stocker which has been maintained and looks-it.:punk:

LOL I get the point. Thanks for the advise.

Back