Fork swap!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
I'm looking to swap my front forks with a spare bike I have, which is a gsxr srad. Any info on what will make the swap easy would be awesome. Not sure what's involved, and sure there is something involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to compare fork lengths before going further. The Vmax has very long forks compared to "modern" sportbikes. You'll lose 2-3" of ground clearance plus a little bit more if you keep the 17" Gsxr wheel.

If you decide to pursue it, you will most likely have to swap steering bearings or perform a stem swap. Then there's figuring out steering stops. Plus the Gsxr doesn't have a cable driven speedo so that issue will need addressed.

I'm in no way saying not to go for it (I've done frontend swaps on other motorcycles) but it's going to get involved very quickly.

Later, Doug

Thanks for the info, as you're talking of measuring the forks, I measure from axle center to top of tree?

as you're talking of measuring the forks, I measure from axle center to top of tree?

Yes and with no weight on the forks if you can. It's not going to give you a 100% accurate final ride height difference due to different spring rates between the forks but it'll get you close.

Later, Doug

Ok, sounds good.. Thanks for that bit of info. I also noticed the bearings seem different also, had seen a stem replacement or mod vid so I can see how it can get deep quick, but I'm good with it all, just didn't know what to expect

You'll probably need custom trees either way. Some guys have used R1 forks with longer tubes and trees. There's also a set done with Busa forks that Sean did for the reaper bike, I think. For what it will probably cost, you might consider just getting a whole front end from boxxenstop (sp), exactrep, or see if Sean or Kyle has a set around somewhere.

I have a number of sets of inverted triples on the way to me. That will let you swap the forks over. But, there isn't any "cheap" method to do the swap.

Cheapest is using an older gsxr1100 forks with a stem swap. Has longer forks but still the max will sit lower than desired. any partial solution is no solution at all. Better to save to do it right

The way I see it is that the degree of cheapness is in accordance on your eagerness to have it. If one has no money then there's no vices. Any custom work is not cheap. And sometimes people have no idea on the tweaking, dead braincells and work going into making parts work together good. Seldom I get people asking for some custom work but haggling about prices. Sometimes I just want to explain that I really like redbull air races but I cannot join in as I don't have the budget to do so. Parts and labor cost money but the most valuable part is the assurance that things work together well. But there's always one.

Part of custom building that drives prices up are failed attempts that still cost money to make. So, that R&D work ends up priced into the product as it should be.

I wonder where the poor MV Agusta is that the guy stole the front end from? A nice design exercise, but I couldn't afford it! If you've got the skills, he supplied the triple trees dimensions to fit an USD fork, kind of him.

I think I would just save my $$$ and get a Gen II w/a warranty. He surely upgraded our 1980's chariot, didn't he? (the Dutch guy, be sure to see all the pages, lots of good pics).

I wonder where the poor MV Agusta is that the guy stole the front end from? ........
Here more of the "Dutch"guy.
We made several frontends fitting the Vmax and we did not have to steal anything

Attachments

• 20160106_122855.jpg
    20160106_122855.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 90
  • 20160106_122823.jpg
    20160106_122823.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Resize of P1010018.JPG
    Resize of P1010018.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 105
as for cheapness woudnt a fzr1000 be cheaper?
i have a front end waiting in the shelf,i know its not the best but with springs and such its better than stock and have the desired look and 17" wheel.
kust remove one end and insert the other...
on the rear i think the cheapest would be to grab a diversion 900 wheel and get it widened,than just make a custom axle.

correct me if something is wrong but i think its the easy and cheapest way.

ktm super duke 48mm - Plug & Play :)
IMG_20160612_143515.jpg

Latest posts

Back