Bad Luck during routine Morley HD Oiler installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
Holy crap. I am in the process of installing the Morley HD Oiling Kit.

I just got my 45 degree snap ring pliers and removed the snap ring on the inside oil pump drive gear and pulled the shaft out the outside. The gear dropped out on my chest as I expected.

I cleaned the shaft and the hole and greased it with engine assembly grease. I put grease on the little washer that was supposed to go over the shaft before the new snap ring was installed and stuck that to the little white plastic gear. Hard Part Done. YEAAA. RIGHT

then I held the gear and washer in place and got the shaft to go into the gear after the flat was lined up. The washer was a bit contrary about going over the shaft and it fell off.

...not on my chest...not on the floor. I heard one clink.

I think it may have fallen into a deep crevasse that is right beside/opposite the front face of the gear. I can barely get my finger down in there and I don't feel anything like a washer but I really think it's down in there. I felt around everywhere I could up in there where it might have fallen and could not locate it. I'm POSITIVE it is not on the floor or in my shirt pocket, etc. bright lights and an almost complete strip search did not turn it up.

I hope someone has had this problem and can suggest something. The only thing I can think of is putting some sort of small magnet on a string and dropping it down in there because the cases are aluminum and the washer is steel

have you faced this problem and if so, what did you do.

crap.

It may have fallen into the trans cavity. The other bad news is that the washer is not magnetic. I think it's happened before and was retrieved with a coat hanger feeling around there.

Beer party, with a few strong Brothers. Flip it upside down, minus the swing arm, front fork assembly, battery and skins, and oil. Then shake. Tip, shake some more. This has been done before for shims that went down the cam chain Chanel into the pan. Got some cases stripped and apart. I'll see if a 14mm bore scope is small enough to fit down there.
Steve-o

Time for a beer party. Several Bro's of large girth need to be invited. Remove the oil, fork assembly, swing arm, skins and battery. Flip what's left over and shake. Tip it and shake some more. This has been done before. I'll check some stripped down cases and see if a 14mm bore scope helps out.
Steve-o

shit...the washer is not magnetic. You mean the washer is not magnetic? as it I can't fish it out with a magnet? Oh come on. What's it made of?

I guess I might as well pull the engine. Fuck this shit. I'm gonna set fire to it.

but thanks for the advice. I'm gonna get an inspection mirror today and see if I can see it down in there. It did not fly off with any velocity so I'm pretty sure it dropped straigt down deflecting off my hand and falling into that nasty little pit that I can barely get my finger into.

So you think it fell into the gearbox section under the shift drum?
Will it do any harm if you leave it there? it's a long way from any spinning parts!

Can you remove the shift drum without splitting the cases? (or maybe just the bearing) that will give you access to the area it's in

017.JPG

no I don't yet think it fell into the gearbox section. If you remove the oil pan and loop up in there at the inside oil pump drive gear you will see an area toward the back of the bike that a washer might fall into if it fell from the gear shaft. the gear area is toward the front of the bike.

I'm going to get an inspection mirror and make sure it's where I think it is first.

The transmission shift cavity is at the rear of the bike and has two holes for which to fluid can get out (and in if you're in a high enough wheelie). You can make it out a little in the previous picture.

I have attached pictures of both the lower case so you can see what's in there as well as view you're seeing. It can only either fall onto the clutch side which would be no problem. Out the bottom which would be no problem. Or into the cavity we're talking about. There are drain holes at the bottom of that cavity that you can rescue it out of.

Also, you can possibly look into the holes from the outside under the clutch basket to see inside there though not a lot of visibility to the bottom of the cavity.

Attachments

• IMG_20130327_173012_011.jpg
    IMG_20130327_173012_011.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20130327_172259_551.jpg
    IMG_20130327_172259_551.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Lower Half Ready.jpg
    Lower Half Ready.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 75
attachment.php

To the right side of the photo (toward back of the bike) is the transmission shift cavity Sean was talking about, sounds like it might be in there - a mirror, some light and a coat hanger might get it for you

Attachments

• oil-pump-gear.JPG
    oil-pump-gear.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 259
ok, I got a mirror at auto zone that looks like it will do the job.

I'll look for it tonight. May God Preserve and Protect me, whoever He might be.

(I was trained by the Jesuits and the New Pope is a Jesuit...the first Jesuit Pope...so perhaps that will help. Hell, it won't hurt)

I really love this bike. I'm really crazy. I love to suffer.

I have retrieved parts with shop vac,,,,,,,here is what you do-----get a small piece of plastic tubing and shove it up the end of the shop vac. Then take some duck tape and seal it off good, you then have a flexible vacuum source that will pick up the washer should you get close to it. Just remember you have to have a strong shop vac to begin with and the length and size of plastic tubing will have an effect on how much it will pick up.......hope this helps and you get the washer out of the cavity.

I had this happen on my bike. I spend hours fishing for that washer. It was terrible. I didn't know if wasn't magnetic and spent most of the time trying to use a magnet on a coat hanger. Anyways it is really tight in there but I was able to use a coat hanger wire bent to the perfect shape to coax it out of one of the two oil holes. The biggest obstacle is finding the washer. I used a video bore scope with a 45 degree mirror on the end to see around corners.

I tried to find a magnetic washer for some time in my selection of rest and corrosion resistant washers. Will get back into looking again to help in case this scenario happens again.

OK my mirror (1 1/4" diameter) was way too big. I've found some 1/2 inch decorative mirrors 10 for $1.69 that I could epoxy to a wire and I think I can rig up a mag light so that there is a long wire running from the handle to the exposed bulb and then I can get some light up in there.

yea, finding the washer will be a big relief.

And I see that I may have to rent a bore scope. I found one for 50 bucks that is USB but it's a 12mm head and that's way too big.

onward. This is going to take awhile.

oreilly is really good at taking stuff back just keep your receipt and they will take it back. I worked for them and that is their policy.

attachment.php

To the right side of the photo (toward back of the bike) is the transmission shift cavity Sean was talking about, sounds like it might be in there - a mirror, some light and a coat hanger might get it for you

Yes, in the lower right hand corner of this picture are two holes...silver faces and black paint inside the engine. I'm pretty sure it's there.

I was sitting cross legged on the right side of the bike holding the gear inside with my fingers. I inserted the shaft and turned it until the flat lined up with the flat in the gear and it slipped into the gear but it did not slip into the washer and I lost control of the washer and heard ONE klink and that was it. It has to be in there but I cannot get my fingers in there well enough to feel it. I will try the 112 inch mirrors and if that does not let me see it, I'll get USB bore scope off ebay. I saw a 7mm w 4 led's for 35 bucks. Worth that to see if the thing gives a good enough picture to help me.

Latest posts

Back