Can I get a opinion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V4bandit

Reaction score
My motor started knocking the other day. I drained the oil and found brass all through it. Pulled the motor out and this is what I found. I'm just wondering if the guys that know motors on here can help me a little with what I'm looking at. I don't have a lot of cash to spend, and just want to get up and running again.

There is coolant in the intake of all four cylinders??? The orange o ring is popped and it chewed up one rod bearing. I took a pic of the crank shaft. It doesn't look blue in person, just in the picture. It is still smooth, no scrapes. Would it be ok to replace the bearings and fix the oil o-ring?

Not sure how the coolant is getting into the intake on all 4 cyl.?? Find it hard to believe the head gasket would fail on all 4. Thanks

Attachments

• 20131117_211118.jpg
    20131117_211118.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 183
  • WP_000339.jpg
    WP_000339.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 177
That motor is done. Kaput. Junk. Parts donor.

You're best bet is to get a replacement engine. I have various condition cores on hand most of the time. Usually ones that spin a bearing like that are not worth rebuilding. You can salvage parts like the heads/cams, trans, and covers/electronics. The crank, case and rods are going to be scrap metal.

Thanks Sean. Thats not what I wanted to hear, but the truth hurts right. lol I guess its time to start rolling my quarters and save for a new motor.

Finish tearing it down and inspect the cases, if you caught it soon enough it may not have chewed up the thrust surfaces and the cases MAY be useable but your gonna need a crank for sure. Just finish tearing it down and you'll have a much better idea what your working with, nothing to lose at this point.

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

Finish tearing it down and inspect the cases, if you caught it soon enough it may not have chewed up the thrust surfaces and the cases MAY be useable but your gonna need a crank for sure. Just finish tearing it down and you'll have a much better idea what your working with, nothing to lose at this point.

Yeah, I'm going to start taking it apart the rest of the way. If I go with Sean's core, I'll need to pull the trans anyway. It looks like the damage is just on the one rod, everything else seem tight. But like you said , nothing to lose. I'm going in!

I'll get more pics up as I go I'm sure. Just need to juggle the kids and the garage time.

Looks like a support was on the oil pipe to keep the o ring from popping out but didnt work.

When cold I've got a ton of oil pressure. Enough to blow that o-ring right out. It needs to be this way to get 5-6 psi at idle on a hot day. Like Sean said, warming these bikes up is important, for that reason. Reving up cold could get pressure up past 100 psi, too much.
Steve-o

And this is why I like our HD oiling kit instead of the retaining kit.

The HD oiling kit from Sean is money well spent, definitely invest in one for whatever you put back in there because it's cheap insurance for your engine. Very good points on making sure the oil is up to temp before beating on the bike, that's smart advice for anything though.

When cold I've got a ton of oil pressure. Enough to blow that o-ring right out. It needs to be this way to get 5-6 psi at idle on a hot day. Like Sean said, warming these bikes up is important, for that reason. Reving up cold could get pressure up past 100 psi, too much.
Steve-o

Don't think I've seen mine go over 70 something PSI under any circumstances even with seans kit.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Same here. Pressure relief opens up

Might be possible that if the oil is too cold the pressure relief can't keep up due to high thickness and that is the "cold blow" cause?

The OEM oring is very "flimsy" for lack of a better work. Just enough that it can work it's way out like you've seen. I used to race my bike just like all the other guys by pushing it to the front and starting just before going down the track. Went through more then enough engines to learn. Now I am one of the few that bring the bike up to operating temp before I run it. I am less worried about the small loss in speed as compared to the big loss in the wallet by running it cold and blowing it up.

when you rebuild, don't forget Sean's HD oiling kit. Or it might happen again.

Also...Consider a Honda VTX. The VMax is a drug for adrenaline addicts like myself but if you can break the habit, do so.

Fight the dark side.

Let the force of the vboost be with you.

Lol, Iam hooked on boost. :biglaugh:
I have started taking everything off and boxing it till I can afford to repair. So far there doesn't seem to be damage beyond cyl 4 rod/crank. There is slop in the other rods. I will most likely be contacting Sean in the new year.

Man it sure is a shitty feeling having killed my motor.

What is the oiling kit, what involved to install it. What are the parts and how much.

Latest posts

Back