Camshaft Oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wnelson

Reaction score
OK, so I put my 93 back together after replacing 2nd gear. I fired it up and ran ok but on a rev I could hear a "scraping?" noise in the "top?" end, it ran maybe 2 minutes. So I let it set for a year because I was pissed, then pulled the rear valve cover. It didn't look like anything out of the norm. So I fired it up without the rear valve cover and the exhaust cam was swamped in oil while the intake cam was as dry as a bone. I only let it idle for 20 sec or so. I reviewed the oil delivery schematic and found that the intake cam is oiled first, then the exhaust. So I pulled the right and left rubber plugs from the intake cam journal, blew air in one side and it cam out of the other (dry), so I replaced the left plug on the intake, and removed the left exhaust plug and tried air again, and blew out oil everywhere. I removed the front journal caps and they looked fine too.There was also no oil coming from around the cam followers on the intake side (now sure how the oil delivery works there?).

Any Ideas on the:
Scraping sound,
lack of visual oil,
where do I check the oil pressure?
Could I have an oil delivery tube installation problem?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Back