I think I messed up on last oil change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06Vmaxfan

Reaction score
I just changed the oil in my 06 and I didn't notice till just now that the oil might be to thin. Last year I used Rotella T6 since many people recommended it as a good oil for the Vmax. This year I grabbed a 4qt. container of T6 without really looking at it and put it in my bike. I just picked up the container and noticed it says 5W-40.

Does T6 come in different weights? I thought T6 was available in just one weight which is why I didn't look at the advertised weight when I bought it.

I am in Georgia and it gets pretty hot in the summer so I want to know if this oil is ok or should I change it out for something heavier.

Thanks

I thought about a thicker oil but I want to stay with synthetic oil. I change my oil every spring before I start riding and usually only have about 1200 miles between oil changes.

My concern is mostly with oil pressure when using such a thin oil. Fully synthetic oil helps to keep the engine cooler which is why I use it.

T6 5w-40 is a fine choice for the vmax. If you notice the chart Dennis posted, 40wt is good to well over 100 degree ambient temps. The 5w isn't a concern, it just means the oil won't be as thick during initial startup when the engine is cold. No worries as far as protection goes.

Some guys have had issues with clutch slip after changing to synth. T6 is one of the few I've heard that does not promote slip.

I use T6 synthetic in mine and beat the piss out of it at the track. If your oil gets so hot that it breaks down your cooling system isn't working properly.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back