Oil color?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
It seems to me that after draining all oil and filling with fresh oil that some old oil is still in and mixes with the new causing its color to darken, after 500 miles the oil window shows considerable oil darkening.
The filter is K&N, my riding is surface streets, I have no oil consumption at all, after 2000 the oil level is the same as when I changed it.
the compression is good @ 166-170.
Is this normal? or is it blow by? causing the contamination of the oil?
the oil does not come out black but much darker than new.
Should I be concerned? or this is normal.
I once asked the service manager at the dealer about using the K&N air filter and was told the stock filter traps more than the K&N, I used K&N anyway.
Thanks for your input.
I did a web search and found out this.

Engine Leak-down Test results

Bad Rings: air will blow through the oil filler when performing the leak-down.

Bad Intake Valve: air will blow through the throttle body when performing the leak-down.

Bad Exhaust Valve: air will blow through the tailpipe when performing the leak-down.
________
fake weed

Last edited:
You're compression is good. Mine is about 180-190 or so. It's impossible to get all the oil out. It turns darker almost immediately. Autos do the same thing.

Sounds like you worry too much, same as me. Im sorry to steal your thread but was wondering what the ideal compression is. I have never tested mine.

You have no problems Firefly. Some diesels you can change the oil every hour and it's still like ink and some diesels are more like cars. I was also concerned about my tractor and was told that it is the nature of the beast. It was like that when it was new and after 21 years is still running like a top with the same color of oil, changed on a regular basis. My Toyota truck's oil looks like honey after 5K miles and hardly changes color at all. Must have something to with the way blow-by is routed through the engine. All engines need to breathe internally as the pistons displace more and less volume in the crank case. Nothing to worry about.

The book says the following. Cylinders should be within 14 psi of each other.

minimum: 128 psi
standard: 135 psi
maximum: 171 psi

Thanks guys, I was loosing sleep over it:surf: I was using rottela diesel synthetic and noticed it was getting darker very quick so I changed over to amsoil 8.99/quart vs $13 a gallon rottella, after I finish the amsoil I have I'll go back to rottella, I know as long as I change it regularly I'll be OK, I actually liked rottella better but amsoil fills the net with advertisement and fact sheets , they sucked me in.
________
glass pipe pictures

Last edited:
maleko89 said:
You're compression is good. Mine is about 180-190 or so. It's impossible to get all the oil out. It turns darker almost immediately. Autos do the same thing.

This is kind of interesting, because you are right my car and truck oil darkens quickly and so does the oil in my VMax. However the oil in my off road bike (DRZ400) comes out as clean as it went in. The only difference between the vehicles is the mileage. The DRZ has really low mileage (4K km), the VMax has mid 40K km, and the autos have real high mileage. I believe it must be some type of blowby that affects the oil colour.

Buster Hymen said:
This is kind of interesting, because you are right my car and truck oil darkens quickly and so does the oil in my VMax. However the oil in my off road bike (DRZ400) comes out as clean as it went in. The only difference between the vehicles is the mileage. The DRZ has really low mileage (4K km), the VMax has mid 40K km, and the autos have real high mileage. I believe it must be some type of blowby that affects the oil colour.

Yes but it has been this way since new, the oil darkens real quick.
________
buy silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited:
When you open up an engine like the Vmax it is easy to see how so much residual oil is kept in there. There are many areas that are virtually impossible to get the oil out of without having it split apart. I would estimate that there could be as much as 1/2 a quart of old oil left in when the engine is drained.

Simply change it often and you will be fine.

Sean Morley

Just don't take it to Jiffy Lube. They like to re-use oil. :)

maleko89 said:
Just don't take it to Jiffy Lube. They like to re-use oil. :)
Man I hate that place, I tried them once for my car , the guy started the engine without putting the filler cap and oil was all over the place.:damn angry:
________
Rolls-Royce Corniche

Last edited:
I think in the capacities section the owners manual shows three different capacities

Oil change

Oil and filter change

First time fill

The numbers don't add up somehow implying that a drain and fill with filter change does NOT get all the oil out.....

Incidentally I love Rotella because supposedly it has much higher zinc levels than other oils but that's another thread...

Back