cobra exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markmax

Reaction score
Have a question about sealing the cobra 4 into 4 slip on exhaust. The pipes have small cuts on them (I'm guessing to make them fit over the header pipes easier.) Well I have an exhaust leak from there even with the clamps tightened down. I used some high temp RTV to seal them better. Now the bike seams to run a lot rougher and smoke a lot more when I start it up. Was the RTV a bad idea? I don't like the way the bike seems to run now, so if any one out there with the cobra exhaust can tell me if they had any thing like this happen to their bike...and what they did to get a good seal for the exhaust.

i didnt do anything out of the ordinary with mone, but I have s small leak at each clamp point

I got some of the exhaust sealing tape. The kind that goes between the two pipes to seal them. Hopefully that will take care of the leak and not have alot of RTV gunking up the outside of the pipes.

You can actually use any 100% pure silicon sealant like found in inexpensive tubes at the hardware/lumber stores. It is burn proof and works quite well for most gaskets on the bike including intakes, exhausts, and covers. The best part is it is cheap and clear so it doesn't look funny if you get a bit of excess on it.

Sean Morley

Sean, is it oil resistant? Sounds like it would be good stuff for the valve covers.

Back