Garmin Zumo and GPS City

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max_caper

Reaction score
This motorcycle GPS has been through every sort of weather, temperature, and lighting condition and has always been 100% reliable. Pairs up via bluetooth seamlessly to my Scala Rider and my phone.

GPS City, where I bought the unit, has great customer service and their prices were the best in Canada and even better than a lot of US sellers.

If you're into the market for a motorcycle GPS check out the Garmin Zumo and be sure to check GPS City for prices before you buy elsewhere.

Blaine

I have purchased several GPS accessories from GPS City and agree they are the best combination of price and service.

I've been wanting one of those for a few years now but never have the extra dough. They're fairly expensive but they must be good cause I never seem to see them for sale used. I use a Garmin Nuvi (car version) now just to have something and get use to the distraction of using it while riding.

Tell me, does the Zumo allow you to program routes the way YOU want to go easily? Or do you have to pick the destination and then find way points to make the route change to the way you want to go?

I've been using my iPhone (3GS) with the app NavFree. Yes it's totally free, it gets me mostly where I want, I have a holder for my phone attached to my windshield so OK with being 'splashproof'.

At this price you can't go wrong!

I've been wanting one of those for a few years now but never have the extra dough. They're fairly expensive but they must be good cause I never seem to see them for sale used. I use a Garmin Nuvi (car version) now just to have something and get use to the distraction of using it while riding.

Tell me, does the Zumo allow you to program routes the way YOU want to go easily? Or do you have to pick the destination and then find way points to make the route change to the way you want to go?

I have not used the waypoint function; I'm more of a straight A to B kind of rider and make changes on the fly if something interesting diverts me from my original route. It does have a waypoint function and most other functions are pretty straightforward so I would guess the same goes for this as well. The Zumo thinks it's smart enough to choose your route for you (at least the Zumo 550 does). If you don't like the route it has chosen you can change on the fly by taking a different road and letting the unit recalculate or by hitting the "detour" button.

Yes they are expensive; mine was a 20th anniversary gift.

Blaine

I want to use it to guide me on a pre-programmed route for when leading a group of bikes to a certain destination the way I want to get there with stops along the way that I choose..

I'm trying out an new GPS app (CoPilot GPS - it's free) on my iPhone 5, so far it looks good with limited testing. I'll be getting the Lifeproof case so that will make it good to go on the bike.
The routing is logical, but in my area there is gerally but one way to go so not much of a test. I'm in San Diego, CA. for 1 more day with no wheels so I cannot test it here.

The Zumo 550 is an older model. There is a 660 model but I am not aware of all its features. One improvement they made with the 660 is stereo sound vs the mono sound of the 550. It was necessary for me to go with the 550 because my Scala Q2 headset only communicates in mono. The newer Scala Q4 would be a good match the the Zumo 660 if you want headset communication and stereo for MP3's.

Blaine

Latest posts

Back