Lifting spools

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok let me check for sure the pitch in order not to mess it up but im almost certain its standard.

FYI, sorry to resurrect an old thread. A T-rex rear stand will not work with spools. They are about an inch to short and won't lift the bike up. They are considerably cheaper than a Pitbull stand so I went to a buddies house to give it a try. My bike is considerably lower than stock so was hoping it would work.

Now, the only concern I have with getting a Pitbull is if it will allow the rear axle to be removed.

Thanks for the info Mark, I couldn't find a stand that was tall enough for my setup (Carrozzeria 18" wheel w/ 200/50VR 18 tire) but it probably would not work for me anyway since I have to remove the drive unit due to the 200 tire width.

I did something similar with spools, but put them on my rear axle.
This is NOT for everyone, as of course, you cannot remove the rear axle when using the spools/stand. But for my 180 tire and Carrozzeria wheel, I have to remove the rear drive anyway.
But this is good for maintenance/exhaust work etc.

I purchased a used axle (just in case I did damage doing this for the first time), plus I didn't want my bike un-rideable while I was working on this.
The axle that I got was actually nicer than my original. It looks more 'chrome' to me. I cut it at work just behind the right side holes that you put a screwdriver into the axle to pull it out (I can now pull it with the swingarm spool). In other words, I don't any longer have an axle that sticks out with the unfinished end on it. To pull the axle when it's on my hydraulic stand, I just pull it by the spool. The right side spool never has to come off again.

Then I also cut just a bit off the threaded side. Mosly to flatten it out even to the spool would sit nice and flush.

I tapped the axle (both sides) to a 10mm x 1.25. Then used Allesnfastener chrome grade 12.9 allens. I think I put a long 60mm in the side opposide the threaded end of the axle (because the threading doesn't start until about a 1/2" inside) and a 55mm into the other side. I tapped the axle DEEP!!!

Anyway, as I said this way is NOT for everyone, but for my bike (as I already have another hydraulic bike lift for tire/fork work), this works great for simple maintenance stuff. And it works well with what I already owned, which is an old Lockhart Phillips racing stand from my old Ninja. That stand would have been too short to use Sean's spools. This stand would not reach the lower shock studs.

Cheap too. The spools were 15 dollars from eBay and I think I spent about 10 bucks on the fancy chrome fasteners (even though the spools came with bolts). *The axle purchase would NOT have to be done. I did that for my own benefit as I wasn't sure how this would come out or if I'd get tied up in other stuff, and as I said I didn't want the bike left apart while I worked on this. But the axle only cost me 13 bucks anyway.
Machine work was done by me (so that was free). It was easy though. Just a quick couple of cuts on the axle, and then a mod on one of the spools so that it 'hugs' the threaded side of the axle and butts up against the axle securing nut. It looks like Yamaha did it that way now. No unfinished ends or anything on each side of the bike.

Vinnie

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sweet! I did something similar, but not as nice as your setup a couple of months ago with some pit pins and a set of slider spools:

s5h0ky.jpg

25zsl.jpg

do they make a front and rear spools with the lifting device for lifting front and rear perfer good quality not cheap for 2016 vmax 1700 thanks Bob

I've not tried to make anything. There are companies that sell various lifting devices and it depends on if you want to remove the wheel or just hold it upright for oil changes.

Latest posts

Back