3D printer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not here at the shop but about 15 miles away I have access to a full reverse engineering lab, plastic printer AND even an aluminum printer! Cost is per machine out plus materials. If you have it in most and of the catia/solidworks type programs we should be able to get it done.

Just found this place last week and will be doing a lot of modeling of the bike with the future to be a fully modeled vmax and all details!

Sean

Great, I wonder if AutoCad or Google Sketchup solid modeling will work. I use Architectural Desktop 3.3 though rather dated, I can create complex solids. If not then I can provide drawings that would be easy for someone else to import into a compatible format. The aluminum printer option is fantastic. Thanks Sean, I'll get back to ya next week, my (3) 12hr shifts at the salt mine are looming.

Most 3D printers work with a file format STL.

Generally, this can be exported from any 3D solid modeling software.

Look under the File tab, and Save As or Export options.

Gary

Can a 3D printer make Tripple Trees strong enough with alumiinum?

3D printers are used to make jet turbine blades out of titanium.

Printer is over a million bucks. And when servicing it, full hazmat suits are required.

I don't know if aluminum is a material that can be used.

Titanium is printed by laying down layer of titanium and support material, 2nd pass rollers level material then a laser melts titanium to fuse it. Tray drops couple thousands of an inch and process is repeated.

In general, 3D printing is an expensive option. It does however allow thing to be made that are very difficult or impossible to make otherwise. Great for rapid prototyping, which is what I use it for. All my stuff is plastic type materials. Printer has a 10 x 10 x 10 inch print window. Material for it costs $1300 for 3.6k, support material is about $400 for 3.6k. I can design something in CAD and have a touchable model the next morning. Much better to convey concepts to non technical people.

Gary

3D is best for test parts to verify the model will fit and then it can be setup for conventional machining. The 3d Aluminum printer is very expensive and about a 50% failure rate (not sure if they charge for the failures). They would not probably be strong enough to hold I wouldn't think? It would cost a LOT to do it with something as large as a triple. Maybe another 10 or 20 years from now the cost will be lower.

Sean

You can make a casting model and cast your own, old school style, if your a bit handy.

Id be interested on a 3d file of a Gen1 frame, if anyone has one done already?

3D is best for test parts to verify the model will fit and then it can be setup for conventional machining. The 3d Aluminum printer is very expensive and about a 50% failure rate (not sure if they charge for the failures). They would not probably be strong enough to hold I wouldn't think? It would cost a LOT to do it with something as large as a triple. Maybe another 10 or 20 years from now the cost will be lower.

Sean
I seen a magazine at work that had a story on DMSL Direct Metal Laser Sintering. I believe this is the company the story was about.

https://www.stratasysdirect.com/blog/how-its-made-3d-printed-1911-pistol/
3D-printed-1911s-on-plate-1024x768.jpg

If they can do this, things will get better / stronger as technology improves.
later, bill

Back