Clear coat coming off

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I finally tried the Aircraft Stripper. IT WORKED GREAT!! Only problem was i did end up getting it all over my hands. I ended up in the Emergency Room 2 weeks ago and i am still putting medicine on my hands everyday because of it. My dermatologist said it is a mix between a chemical burn and a chemical reaction all over my hands. That stuff is wicked.....but hey, it works. lol

Hey I warned you don't get it on your skin! Lol. Glad everything is ok

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Oh yea, i know...everyone did. Lol. Guess i just thought "hey my hands are tough, cant be that bad". Lmao! Damnit man, that shit is aweful! :eek:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sound to me that you should patronize your local powdercoater. Much cheaper than an ER visit and much less painful.

Bead blasting is always a future option (if you have access to a blast cabinet & media). I'm guessing most of the PC's on here have (or access too) one. Makes the aluminum look "fresh" for whatever top coat you prefer. Great results minus the pain & suffering of the chems. Shipping to any one of us would cost no more than a couple gals of gas...or find a local if available...

Bead blasting is always a future option (if you have access to a blast cabinet & media). I'm guessing most of the PC's on here have (or access too) one. Makes the aluminum look "fresh" for whatever top coat you prefer. Great results minus the pain & suffering of the chems. Shipping to any one of us would cost no more than a couple gals of gas...or find a local if available...
+1 Frank. Fast, and painless-glass bead. Ready for a finish or a polish.

I always use that orange gel from Home Depot. Doesn't hurt skin, not toxic at all. The gel helps it stay on the parts. Just spread on and leave for a while. The clearcoat kinda shrivels up and wipes off with a paper towel. May take another application as hard to keep from gradually sliding off. I just reapply the gel that slides off and rotate the parts till all the clearcoat is off. Think has "citrus" somewhere on the label. I use a plastic tub so can reuse what falls off.

If you had used this as recommended, no problem with toxic chemicals. I have used if for years and used it to remove the clearcoat on all my Max items that I have polished including backrests, all the front pieces that bolt to the forks including the stock fork brace and others.....

The trick doing this in 1 shot not multiple times is completley saturate it spray or brush on ( I like brush on it goes on thicker & weter) & wrap parts in a plastic bag so NO air gets to it . Let sit up to a 1/2 hour rinse ,scrub w/ wire brush n your done!!!!

+1 to using a plastic bag Wayno. I just did a clutch cover like that with Air Craft stripper and got 95% of it off. I let it sit overnight though. The old glass bead blast
is my favorite to finish it off.
Anybody try walnut media in a blast cabinet? It gets good reviews.

Oh yea, i know...everyone did. Lol. Guess i just thought "hey my hands are tough, cant be that bad". Lmao! Damnit man, that shit is aweful!

The thing to worry about is absorbing chemicals into your blood through your skin and damaging your liver and other organs. Breathing in the vapors will do you in slowly too.

The thing to worry about is absorbing chemicals into your blood through your skin and damaging your liver and other organs. Breathing in the vapors will do you in slowly too.

That would suck big time. It was a very stupid thing to. Haed lesson learned and costly between the ER visit, the Dermatologist (which is smokin hot by the way) and medicine. I was due to do something pretty stupid anyway.....it had been a while. Like at least a few hours.:cool:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I always use that orange gel from Home Depot. Doesn't hurt skin, not toxic at all. The gel helps it stay on the parts. Just spread on and leave for a while. The clearcoat kinda shrivels up and wipes off with a paper towel. May take another application as hard to keep from gradually sliding off. I just reapply the gel that slides off and rotate the parts till all the clearcoat is off. Think has "citrus" somewhere on the label. I use a plastic tub so can reuse what falls off.

Went to storage and took pics of the stuff I use. Works great and don't need gloves or respirator. :biglaugh:

Pics attached...

Attachments

• Paint Remover 1.jpg
    Paint Remover 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Paint Remover 2.jpg
    Paint Remover 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 19
Was stripping my tank cover...used all tricks listed above (except the citrustrip) and no luck...even the glass bead was ineffective...went to the aluminum oxide...tougher on the metal, but it got the job done fast! Of course finding the copious amounts of bondo on the front corners was disheartening...high temp lab metal to the rescue...

Latest posts

Back