broke where the oil filter screws on

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymax04

Reaction score
wonder what it would take to fix this on an 89 motor

Attachments

• 00M0M_3Ym6CxmTOFU_600x450.jpg
    00M0M_3Ym6CxmTOFU_600x450.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 111
I hate to say it but I think your screwed , even if you have all the pieces that's going to be tough to weld:(

I know this isn't helpful but: How... how in the hell did that happen?

sean mentioned in another thread you can put an external filter on, or sans filter and change the oil often.

Don't think Sean saw the extent of the damage. I wouldn't buy that Max.....

That'll buff right out. lol

If the rest of the bike is super mint, and you can get it for dirt cheap, perhaps an engine swap? Maybe use the opportunity to build a 1260 or 1500 fire breather?

Doesnt an 89 have a cartridge filter....and not a spin on? If so, then that's not the original motor anyways.

Theoretically you're not supposed to mismatch factory matched upper and lower case halves but I know two people that have successfully done it.
One cause he wanted to have a spin on filter and the other one to fix a problem like your posting.

Would need to pay attention to bearing clearances, possibly resize them.

Were the blocks the same, and the newer bikes with the spin-on filters just had something different attached to that same flange to where the spin-on filter then 'spun on'.?

I went to the fiche for diff years, and the pics for the blocks all are depicted the same.

One of the V-Max vendors sells a kit to convert from a cartridge to a spin-on filter. Can't remember his name but he has a lot of Max stuff. I have purchased from him in the past. You have to buy a new or used later version of the front frame rail to clear the filter. Usually can get both on eBay.

wonder what it would take to fix this on an 89 motor

My '90 broke there when I ran it up a ramp onto a trailer , after I had installed 17" Lightcons and radials . I had 3 pieces which fit together , but couldn't find anyone who could weld that wierd motor metal . I finally found a VERY talented welder . Cost me $ 400 , but he said if it ever came apart , he would re-weld it , no charge. :punk:

My '90 broke there when I ran it up a ramp onto a trailer , after I had installed 17" Lightcons and radials . I had 3 pieces which fit together , but couldn't find anyone who could weld that wierd motor metal . I finally found a VERY talented welder . Cost me $ 400 , but he said if it ever came apart , he would re-weld it , no charge. :punk:

As a welder I can say that was NOT an easy job, the aluminum is so oil impregnated it must have taken ALOT of prep work and Skill once it was clean.

As said in another thread block it off & change the oil more often or put a remote oil filter on it. I have seen plenty of lower cases changed with out matching them up & had no problems but to each there own.

Some pics of repairs. Some we did and some we didn't. Not sure if the measurements were tweaked from these or what we did on the last one?

Sean

Attachments

• 1028002029a.jpg
    1028002029a.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 1028002032.jpg
    1028002032.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Adapter Block Side.jpg
    Adapter Block Side.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Adapter Filter Side.jpg