Started my swingarm project...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you go test ride grab a sharpie and paint the side of the crossbar that faces the tire... Speed it up and then check how the sharpie marks are... I don't want to jinx it but im almost sure you gonna have problems there, lets hope not. You could always do a curved crossbar instead of straight one, one that matches the tire curvature...

I'm going to run it up to speed on the stands strapped down in the shop so I'll be able to visually see if its going to hit but radial tires don't grow so I'm not concerned about it at all really.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

They always grow mate, Any tire will increase in diameter with increase in speed (unavoidable centrifugal force). The amount only depends on the speed, tire pressure and construction type bias ply or radial (including wall size and width)

They always grow mate, Any tire will increase in diameter with increase in speed (unavoidable centrifugal force). The amount only depends on the speed, tire pressure and construction type bias ply or radial (including wall size and width)

Well its dealing with cars but I know of 200mph cars running drag radials that you cant fit a number 2 pencil into and they dont rub. Believe me I've researched this guys.

Thanks for the advice guys, guess its time for me to bow out of here. Administrator feel free to delete this thread.

Thanks for the advice guys, guess its time for me to bow out of here. Administrator feel free to delete this thread.

Mate don't take us wrong. All the inputs are made in order to try to help and troubleshoot as much as possible for you to come to a good end... These inputs are made using the experience of us all and are not meant to free criticize just because we like to talk bad. You should understand that if we waste our time giving those inputs its because the comunity wants you to get the best solution for your stuff... Of course you are always free to do what you want... If by any chance you think that we were just talking bad to make you feel bad its not true... I love the fabrication stuff and i always try to learn something new, but if i see something that looks fishy to me i try to give my opinion letting the one know my concern. I may be wrong sometimes and theres always someone more knowledgeable that can chime in and correct, and i like that, makes me know more or at least understand more... I hope you get where im heading to... Keep the pics coming... I'll be here to criticize... :biglaugh: In a constructive way of course...

More progress, closed up the notch today and it's tight but there is a solid 1/16" clearance between the notch and the tire :clapping: I have the brake side of the under brace done and tacked in and I have the shaft side all fitted but I have to wait till I can get someone over here to help me hold it in place so it can be tacked in too. Bike is at approx ride height right now, it's coming along nicely! :eusa_dance:
I looked at these pictures for a while & went out & compared them to my stock swingarm with my kosman wheel & 180/55/17 & the clearance looks almost exactly the same same. I dont have any problems. If I had my good camera here I would take pics of mine & post them.

Mate don't take us wrong. All the inputs are made in order to try to help and troubleshoot as much as possible for you to come to a good end... These inputs are made using the experience of us all and are not meant to free criticize just because we like to talk bad. You should understand that if we waste our time giving those inputs its because the comunity wants you to get the best solution for your stuff... Of course you are always free to do what you want... If by any chance you think that we were just talking bad to make you feel bad its not true... I love the fabrication stuff and i always try to learn something new, but if i see something that looks fishy to me i try to give my opinion letting the one know my concern. I may be wrong sometimes and theres always someone more knowledgeable that can chime in and correct, and i like that, makes me know more or at least understand more... I hope you get where im heading to... Keep the pics coming... I'll be here to criticize... :biglaugh: In a constructive way of course...

Thanks Fred, I didn't take any offense to anything you have said because its all been constructive criticism and that is always welcome. The part I take offense to was someone telling me I'm straight up wrong (basically I don't know what I'm talking about) and not being constructive about it. Bias ply tires grow a fair amount, radials grow too but very little. My best friend works for Hoosier racing tire and even spoke to their engineers about this and he agreed that radials do not grow on sprint cars running 180mph, a radial tire by its very construction is designed not to grow, I also know that through enough centrifugal force tires can grow but not to the extent to where I'll have problems. If I'm wrong I'll gladly eat my words but I know I'm not because I have personal experience racing and have done enough research on this subject. Thanks for the vote of confidence Kyle, the notch is the only place I was even slightly concerned about rubbing on hard cornering but it helps you saying that yours is the same. Again I take no offense to advise, just get a little miffed when someone tells me I'm straight up wrong and I'll find that out when I go to test it, at least have an argument to tell me why I'm wrong.

Well, hopefully my visual of watching numerous bikes on the dyno will prove wrong here. The tire will grow. higher air pressure will actually help and being a radial also helps but they get much bigger then you'd expect. BUT, that's only at max speed (which is of course when you don't want to have it contact too). If you can get it over to a dyno roller that would be best to verify.

Sean

Well, hopefully my visual of watching numerous bikes on the dyno will prove wrong here. The tire will grow. higher air pressure will actually help and being a radial also helps but they get much bigger then you'd expect. BUT, that's only at max speed (which is of course when you don't want to have it contact too). If you can get it over to a dyno roller that would be best to verify.

Sean

You make a very good point Sean and I don't dispute your experience a bit. The only point I'm trying to make is a radial tire on the correct width wheel with a very short sidewall will grow very little and I'm sure you already know that too. As Fred said earlier there are a few factors that go into tire growth at top speed, tire width vs rim width, height of sidewall, and tire construction itself as in bias ply vs radial. I'm sure my tire would hit at 170mph or so on up but my bike will never go that fast so while I agree with all of you that its prudent to keep a close eye on in and start easy I'm 99% sure for the speeds my bike is capable of running I shouldn't have a problem. Again I'm not trying to say you all are wrong, I'm just saying the angle at which I took the picture is a little deceiving and I have a little more room than what it looks like, that along with the fact that I have about an optimal setup (as in the tire is on the correct width wheel with a very short sidewall and is a radial) to limit tire growth at speed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Thanks Fred, I didn't take any offense to anything you have said because its all been constructive criticism and that is always welcome. The part I take offense to was someone telling me I'm straight up wrong (basically I don't know what I'm talking about) and not being constructive about it.

Keep in mind the guy who made the comments is typing english as a second language, hell, you should have seen his communincation skill a few years ago, Whatever you do don't try to entertain him by telling hunting stories, 'specially if it involves cute little exploding targets like prairie dogs:biglaugh:

All in all he's a good guy tho, with way better than average fabrication skills, and just like the rest of us cares about helping you execute a succesful job. He can be harsh tho no doubt.

I don't have any opinion on the growth issue, I didn't extend mine so the cross bar stayed where it was.

The side clearance you have is about the same as I ended up with on mine, like you probably did I discovered that the amount you have to work with is not as much as one would think considering how close the driveshaft is to the inner part of the driveshaft. Mine was just enough to fit a 200/55-18 tire with about an 1/8th to 1/16th clearance, I've never had any issues with it.

Keep in mind the guy who made the comments is typing english as a second language, hell, you should have seen his communincation skill a few years ago, :biglaugh:

All in all he's a good guy, with way better than average fabrication skills, and just like the rest of us cares about helping you execute a succesful job.

I don't have any opinion on the growth issue, I put my crossbar a few inches away just to make sure.

The side clearance you have is about the same as I ended up with on mine, like you probably did I discovered that the amount you have to work with is not as much as one would think considering how close the driveshaft is to the inner part of the driveshaft. Mine was just enough to fit a 200/55-18 tire with about an 1/8th to 1/16th clearance, I've never had any issues with it.

Good point Rusty, my apologies to Prez for getting bent outta shape but it's been a rough holiday season. I might mock it back up with the tank in the bike and see if I can move it forward some to gain a little real estate but a quick trip to youtube to watch some videos of nitrous'd Busa's tells the tale, those tires don't move at all.

If the hayabusa is running the OEM tire they have extra reinforcement in them and is the model we prefer to run if that's the size we use.

Sean

srk468,

It doesn't sound like you are going to delete this thread now, but I still have something to say.

Please don't delete it, many people will be reading and enjoying this.

Prez is one of the worst people to translate into english. He is positively german style in his speech, and sometimes I am surprised he doesn't just type "That is completely unacceptable". :rofl_200:
It is just the translation of where he is from. (The only reason I say "german" is that german people are famous for using words like this. I actually forgot where Prez is from originally!)

I have seen many instances with race cars where things have been done that has changed my opinion on how things work, and I look forward to seeing how your bike goes (especially with the side clearance!). :biglaugh:

Keep in mind the guy who made the comments is typing english as a second language, hell, you should have seen his communincation skill a few years ago, Whatever you do don't try to entertain him by telling hunting stories, 'specially if it involves cute little exploding targets like prairie dogs:biglaugh:

All in all he's a good guy tho, with way better than average fabrication skills, and just like the rest of us cares about helping you execute a succesful job. He can be harsh tho no doubt.
Yup, few years ago I was the KALI no 1 here LOL - now im a BEOTCH no 1 here!
Now I bealive, my english is "good" but still not perfect which of course I dont give a shit :biglaugh:

Just started learining my 4th language(keep in mind Im only 27) so I also ask for some respect becouse of that mate.

Still havent changed my mind about pointless killing...anything.

I just gave him a HARSH clue which will force him to reconsider his point of view.
I know how this will end becouse I was doing exactly the same as he in the past.
Im my life there was never a place for WARM welcome and help - always kick in the ass if something went wrong. I bealive its a good school so Im doing the same.
Anywas, HE could always ask me for good and soild explenation of my attidue and of course I would give him that explenation in a heartbeat.

If someone feels bad because of that then feel free to vist me in PL or Swiss to talk about it.

Yup, few years ago I was the KALI no 1 here LOL - now im a BEOTCH no 1 here!
Now I bealive, my english is "good" but still not perfect which of course I dont give a shit :biglaugh:

Just started learining my 4th language(keep in mind Im only 27) so I also ask for some respect becouse of that mate.

Still havent changed my mind about pointless killing...anything.

I just gave him a HARSH clue which will force him to reconsider his point of view.
I know how this will end becouse I was doing exactly the same as he in the past.
Im my life there was never a place for WARM welcome and help - always kick in the ass if something went wrong. I bealive its a good school so Im doing the same.
Anywas, HE could always ask me for good and soild explenation of my attidue and of course I would give him that explenation in a heartbeat.

If someone feels bad because of that then feel free to vist me in PL or Swiss to talk about it.
Most of time I agree with you Prez and I very rarely argue a point unless I'm fairly certain I'm right. Just for the record though usually a harsh clue doesn't work as well as constructive criticism with a solid explanation of your views. I welcome your and everyone else's views so please elaborate. I went back out and looked and I was wrong, the tire is actually closer than I thought so with where it's at now I do not feel safe and will move it forward some to gain a little clearance, but my opinion is still that a sportbike tire doesn't grow by 1" at top speed and because I don't have a minimum 1/2-3/4" clearance I will move the crossmember.

Once I've made one of my rim conversions and customer asked me about getting as small
clearance as possible. So he get 3mm and few weeks later he resend it to make it more cuz hes swingarm was grinded by the tyre. 8-10 mm is a minimum since then.

Srk, you will grind the swingarm with the setup you have made and no doubt of it - I can even bet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back