oldest surviving vmax....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#0139 - Mikeahardy, modified, runner
#0153- Shicks
#0211 -- gigi...?
#0221 --Rebar, parts bike
#0369 --MtnMax, bolt on-modified, runner
#0421 --Rebar, bone stock, runner
#0464-- CptnKyle, modified, runner
#0593 --Bacchus, bone stock, project
#0779-Jackbutler, modified, runner
#1326-GreenlightB, modified, runner
#1139- Max1139, modified, runner
#2011-Rebar, modified, runner
#3267- Patmax, chromed, runner
#3452 -, BillKratz, modified, runner
#3589--RhoyCarter, modified, runner
#4752- patmax, dragbike, oh yeah...its a runner !

Last edited:
mike what is the condition of your 85? stock or modified, project, partsbike or runner?

Whoa, Mikehardy with number 38 off the assembly line! Wonder what the build quality was in first bikes? No word if it was original owneror always lived in Tenn. I always assumed California got the first bikes due to geographics/ shipping ports etc. Hey Bacchus, since you created this monster, maybe I'll ask you to keep up the list in chronological order, maybe suggest a Sticky from Buster so
can make the definitive "85 Registry" for U.S.A production. What say you?

I have no definitive do umentation but I thought someone already researched that S/Ns start at 0101 so that makes the first "production bike for sale" number one. Don't bet the ranch on that info though. I know cars often have pre-prediction VINs that somehow get out to the public, some with Xs in the number. Hope this thread continues. I see a few 85s on eBay right not and several on Criagslist here in Florida. Wonder if the owners would mind giving their last four for the registry?

I bought it from a friend at work that was having trouble with it (mainly gas tank rust problem) All this was helped and fixed from this forum. It has a lot of custom parts not sure of the history of the bike. I know he went to Florida to pick it up maybe from a bike broker. It had a stage 7 kit and Dale Walker exhaust and a set of flatslides and lots of extras so I knew if nothing else those custom parts would fit my 1998.

Patmax,

glad you are enjoying this thread and then information discovered as much as I am... I think this is great ! there is something extra special about the original first year vmax, and having a low production number on in my garage really trips my trigger

I have re-ordered the list and will be happy to continue to maintain it, will be interesting to see how low, and how high the numbers go !!

Hmmm...#0779 on a Canadian ownership.
Holeshot 4 into 2, K&N, 147.5s, yamaha mini shield.
I'm not sure if being a Canadian issued bike matters?

Canada probably diifferent since they have KM speedos and Canuck specs. I suppose the bike could be run on the line at the same time for the entire world This is where having a Japanese Vmax connection comes in handy. Is there a Japanese equivalent to the VMOA?

I hope that from a VIN / Serial Number perspective Yamaha would just encode certain numbers to be assembled with alternate parts for various countries. Otherwise it would get very, very confusing. There could be a number of Maxes with serial number 0001. Japan, France, Canada, USA and even Comifornia...:rofl_200:

youre on this list shicks16 please state condition,, stock or modified, parts bike, project, or runner

"THE ORIGINALS".........

#0139 - Mikeahardy, modified, runner
#0153- Shicks16,
#0211 -- gigi...?
#0221 --Rebar, parts bike
#0258 --Mopure, modified, runner
#0369 --MtnMax, bolt on-modified, runner
#0421 --Rebar, bone stock, runner
#0464-- CptnKyle, modified, runner
#0593 --Bacchus, bone stock, project
#0779-Jackbutler, modified, runner
#0154-Freerider,
#1326-GreenlightB, modified, runner
#1139- Max1139, modified, runner
#2011-Rebar, modified, runner
#3267- Patmax, chromed, runner
#3452 -, BillKratz, modified, runner
#3589--RhoyCarter, modified, runner
#3633 -Colonat, modified, runner
#4752- patmax, dragbike, oh yeah...its a runner !

Last edited:
#3633 - US bike... slightly modded - carb kit and drilled out exhaust by PO - some new and some used parts installed this year - turn signals, levers, etc. and of course, new paint. i also had the rusty tank problem until Patrick came to the rescue. have some gears to replace this winter, too. kinda tough riding with just 1st,3rd,5th :rofl_200:

3633, slightly modded, runner

#0258 runner, 1300 swap, supertrapps, home made LED lighting, and lots and lots of BLACK! 30,987.8 miles on odometer at time of this post.

gotcha on the list mopure ! 0258... another early one ..congrats bro!

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:WOOOOO HOOOOOO, Im in the '85 club now:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Restore project
not running
98% all there though.
Just needs some tender loving care.

dude.... your one of "the originals" welcome!

please state condition, stock or modified, runner, parts bike, or project

Its all stated in the first post, BUT<<<<<<<<<<

ya know, Im not really sure what Im gonna do with it :ummm::ummm:
The way it sits now its a restoration project. Just needs a good going through and a few part to replace broken ones and the 80's funny handlebars. Not stock, stupid "Prince", shit I dont even know what to call them. 10 speed pull backs maybe? But anyways, I'll probibly leave her stock.

I had a missed love conection with this '85 for the past yr and half.
I first saw this bike in East Tx on my trip to the old family farm I had just inhairited when Pops passed away.
(Just called my Mom to confirm) Its is belived that he bought new in '85 and at least 3 others besides the two he left me.
Anywho, I had the his latest pride and joy with me and was riding it all over, including to the bar when one night I was drinking with no helmet:confused2: and a guy aproached me about the bike saying he had an '85 and that he would sell it to me for $500. So I went and checked it out. They said they had the tittle but could not find the key. I wanted to see the motor turn over. The house was wierd, the dudes brother was out of prison for the day to attend a funeral. I was low on funds being the end of my trip. So I passed on it. :bang head::bang head::bang head:
When I returned home I found the forum. :bang head: Could of had an '85.
I thought about it all time for a yr and half untill I went back at the begining of Oct.
I found the house, they still had the bike and now wanted $600.
I paid.

And thats the story of my 1985 Yamaha Vmax.

Latest posts

Back