Anyone ridden TW200?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm shopping around for a bike for my son, and came upon a guy selling a Yamaha TW200 here locally.

09MS_TW200_wht_S1_2978bd6d.jpg

Anyone ever ridden one of these, and if so, what did you think?

I had 2 a few years back - but they were BW200 if I remember right - not sure if exactly the same, but only only issue I had was the dual sprocket and chain set up to get around the fat back tire - after they wear abit - they would fall off or skip.

Other than that they were fun bikes at the cottage.

Mike

The BW and the TW are two different bikes. They have been making the TW since the mid 80's. The BW was only made for a few years. It used those big fat ATV tires and was not street legal. Had a head and taillight like enduro bikes but no turnsignals, etc. The TW is street legal and is a blast to ride, especially on trails and sand, but a little underpowered for the highway. Top speed is probably 60 - 65. It is the bike I would put on an RV if I had one or use as a trail bike or around town bike instead of a scooter.

Thanks for the info, guys. This would be for a starter bike and a commuter for my son to ride to school the next couple of years (local). I'm just fine with him keeping his butt off of the freeways around here. :confused2:

Appreciate the comments.

The BW and the TW are two different bikes. They have been making the TW since the mid 80's. The BW was only made for a few years. It used those big fat ATV tires and was not street legal. Had a head and taillight like enduro bikes but no turnsignals, etc. The TW is street legal and is a blast to ride, especially on trails and sand, but a little underpowered for the highway. Top speed is probably 60 - 65. It is the bike I would put on an RV if I had one or use as a trail bike or around town bike instead of a scooter.

Now that I read you post, m-cman - you are right - I had the big fat tires - hell of alot of fun to ride - but not the same as TW - Sorry about that, guys.

Mike

Yes. And I thought it would be gutless but in the low gears, it pulled me and an X around on some trails just fine. Nice little starter bike. Check seat height to make sure it fits.

Bought one in '87 when they first came out. Very good trail bike. Geared low so it had plenty of grunt up to about 50mph. I think I got up to 70 on it but that's all she had. Packed out many deer on the optional luggage rack. Never got less then 70 miles per gallon with it. Only sold it because my wife though I was going to get hurt on it:biglaugh:I used to do some crazy shit in my younger days!

I would but another if the price was right. It would make a great commuter for non-freeway use.

Joe

Went over and looked at it, and it looked almost like a new bike. The seller kept it at his summer home, then brought it home for his son to ride. However, they since bought him a Harley.

So, bought the thing, and will ride it home on Wednesday. Here's a few pics.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Man, that looks fun! I'm betting you ride it more than your son. :rofl_200:

Congrats to your son. I am a big fan of the TW200. Would have one if I could just come up with an excuse...

Back