Trying my hand at fiberglass

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering theirs run about $140 after shipping, I'm pretty sure if i were to sell them, it would be quite a bit less, probably only the cost for materials and actual labor involved so I can continue my "research" on making my own parts haha.:biglaugh:
Lots of effort for sure. Exactrep sells a fender almost exactly like that for not too much money. Not sure if you'd want to do a production run of them vs what theirs runs?

Its always better when we do our own parts, even if it gets more expensive you know its "yours"

Not bad at all, almost the same as when I did mine - but I didn't keep those mounting holes, a single bolt in the center held it in place

attachment.php

Its always better when we do our own parts, even if it gets more expensive you know its "yours"

Amen to that, Fred.
And it doesn't necessarily have to be more expensive, especially if you are into "repurposing" things originally never intended for bike use.
Such as this stainless steel headlight trim ring.
Which originally was my wife's favorite 8" frying pan.
Cut the bottom out, roll in the edge, add a visor, and polish - voila!
......and she still searches for her treasured pan in the kitchen, after all these years...........:clapping:

Attachments

• Street fairing.jpg
    Street fairing.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 48
Amen to that, Fred.
And it doesn't necessarily have to be more expensive, especially if you are into "repurposing" things originally never intended for bike use.
......and she still searches for her treasured pan in the kitchen, after all these years...........:clapping:

That is very cool. I like stuff like that. I am on the custom fighters forum and there are some talented guys there also.

Nice. Your value is in the "Buck" or mold you create to pull your parts from. Once you have that, you can do as many as you want fairly fast and of different materials.

That looks pretty sweet, wouldn't that be so short as to barely come out from under the rear seat though?
Not bad at all, almost the same as when I did mine - but I didn't keep those mounting holes, a single bolt in the center held it in place

attachment.php

Amen to that, Fred.

Dude thats fuking awesome... A new purpose to light the fire... :rofl_200:

After several layers of body filler and many hours of hand sanding, it finally has it's last coat of filler primer on it and will be ready for the mold making process in about half an hour. But that may have to wait until tomorrow because I'm running out of light...

Attachments

• tmp_IMG_20140408_202033-962905700.jpg
    tmp_IMG_20140408_202033-962905700.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 49
That looks pretty sweet, wouldn't that be so short as to barely come out from under the rear seat though?

Yeah, it was pretty short - lights & reg brought it out a bit further, it didn't do much to stop spray coming up off the road

It needs more sanding as the surface is not regular. The prep job is essential

I'll be dabbing some extra gel coat into the uneven spots in the mold and wet sanding those before the polishing is done, no matter how hard I tried the weird spots around the bolt holes and the joint won't go away, so I'm going to try a different route recommended by my neighbor who has much more experience than me (he used to own a body shop)

Decided on a different (easier) shape because no matter how hard I tried the sanding and bondo wouldn't do what I wanted. But this shape will still look sweet. Also the picture tells you how I feel when my projects don't go how I want them to.

Attachments

• tmp_IMG_20140503_2021491805593134.jpg
    tmp_IMG_20140503_2021491805593134.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 54
Decided on a different (easier) shape because no matter how hard I tried the sanding and bondo wouldn't do what I wanted. But this shape will still look sweet. Also the picture tells you how I feel when my projects don't go how I want them to.

i have a similar one from when the flywheeler puller bolt broke off in the flywheel, along with an ez out, and then the puller i drove an hour to buy wasn't the right size...

2011-02-03+21.07.30.jpg

I got Fat tire fenders I'll like to make a buck for and use a spray chopper to build them up over a layer of tight weave glass. Probably polyester resin. Anyone interested in something like that? Not a short fender though, just a Fatty or wide tire look. Grab rail may need recontoured to fit which is labor intensive if you don't have the right tools/skills.
Anyone want pics?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back