Oops, dead battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have on of the green batteries posted here, love it, recently I purchased a battery tender to usb connector for a trip, since my main usb charger had been on the fritz. Well I neglected to zip tie it down, and the usb must have come loose, so it ended up on the pipe. Melting ensued, and I found a dead battery this morning. How do SLA batteries like that do with being fully discharged? Did I just cost myself the price of a new battery? I will put it on charge tonight, didn't have time this am, and hope for the best, just looking for advice in the mean time.

Thanks!

Joe

Only way to tell IMO would be to get it back on a proper charger asap. I'd do at least a 2amp rate, for as many hours as it takes for the charger to tell you it is back up to 100%. Re-install it. Go ride it some. Recheck voltage. If it quickly falls below a 12.6V, or so, surface charge, and your charging system is well up to snuff, I'd say you may have ruined the battery. My guess is that it will survive this ordeal, but then, I'm not a gambling man either, and won't bet on it.

Only way to tell IMO would be to get it back on a proper charger asap. I'd do at least a 2amp rate, for as many hours as it takes for the charger to tell you it is back up to 100%. Re-install it. Go ride it some. Recheck voltage. If it quickly falls below a 12.6V, or so, surface charge, and your charging system is well up to snuff, I'd say you may have ruined the battery. My guess is that it will survive this ordeal, but then, I'm not a gambling man either, and won't bet on it.

Good advice, I have a variable rate charger I just bought last year, and I have a volt readout I put on the max when I redid the Regulator/Rectifier last year, so I'm all set to keep an eye on it. Oh well, if I need a new one, at least they aren't as expensive as they used to be. Thanks!

Joe

Good advice, I have a variable rate charger I just bought last year, and I have a volt readout I put on the max when I redid the Regulator/Rectifier last year, so I'm all set to keep an eye on it. Oh well, if I need a new one, at least they aren't as expensive as they used to be. Thanks!

Joe
They are actually black and green now----If this is the one you have-if not this one is 420 cca's

http://www.apexbattery.com/ub1220-12v-22ah-battery.html

If you go apex, you may want to specify on the terminals/posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been some people lately that havent been happy with their APEX batteries.

Damn....I'm checking my battery. I'm starting to get the box of rocks sound. I figure it was just time for that part finally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my Apex 420CCA for a couple of seasons now with no issues, sounds like it's starter clutch time for you tho...........:damn angry:..........Tom.

So, it only charged up to 4v, according to my gauge, which is just enough to show a very very dim neutral light, and not much else. I'm ordering a new one. I just drilled out the posts to allow me to connect my old one, I had planned to do the same with the new one. It doesn't sacrifice much of the mount point.

Joe

So, it only charged up to 4v, according to my gauge, which is just enough to show a very very dim neutral light, and not much else. I'm ordering a new one. I just drilled out the posts to allow me to connect my old one, I had planned to do the same with the new one. It doesn't sacrifice much of the mount point.

Joe

Hit it with 10 amps for 1-1.5 hrs. Let it sit off the charger overnight. Voltage should be 12.6 minimum at that point or get another battery. In my opinion, Apex batteries took a dive and are nothing like the USB's they claim to be the same as. I'll never regret buy
the Shori. 13.3v volts average. Light as a feather, and it's better for your electrical system.

Back