What's the best long ride seat?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to the group but a VMax owner since 2004. Own a 2000 in carbon fiber.

I have been a member of the Yahoo group as well, and quite awhile ago, I read about a custom upholstery shop for bikes and marine craft in Myrtle Beach, called New Image Seats.

I sent the owner, Lee, just the driver saddle this winter and he turned it around pretty quick in February. I told him what I was looking for, which was better comfort for my 5' 11" frame.

He repadded and re covered it. He explained he couldn't go wider than the plastic base, but the padding he added is wider and flatter at the top. The gully in the factory seat is gone. It looks mostly like the original. It would take another owner's eye to ascertain that it wasn't orginal.
When completed, Lee told me he got 2 inches of width and a half inch in height.

I have found his work to be really good and the proof is in the riding as well. I can move forward and backward on the seat, and don't feel as if I keep sliding down into a trough. I have a lot of room to move on the seat and the padding feels really comfortable. I can now ride far longer.

Hoping you long time Maxxers find this helpful.

New to the group but a VMax owner since 2004. Own a 2000 in carbon fiber.

I have been a member of the Yahoo group as well, and quite awhile ago, I read about a custom upholstery shop for bikes and marine craft in Myrtle Beach, called New Image Seats.

I sent the owner, Lee, just the driver saddle this winter and he turned it around pretty quick in February. I told him what I was looking for, which was better comfort for my 5' 11" frame.

He repadded and re covered it. He explained he couldn't go wider than the plastic base, but the padding he added is wider and flatter at the top. The gully in the factory seat is gone. It looks mostly like the original. It would take another owner's eye to ascertain that it wasn't orginal.
When completed, Lee told me he got 2 inches of width and a half inch in height.

I have found his work to be really good and the proof is in the riding as well. I can move forward and backward on the seat, and don't feel as if I keep sliding down into a trough. I have a lot of room to move on the seat and the padding feels really comfortable. I can now ride far longer.

Hoping you long time Maxxers find this helpful.

Any pics?

For me the Corbin was the most comfortable for rider and passenger. The looks and the weight kept me from using it on the Verminator. The Corbin weighs 15 pounds. I must say that I really like my Morley Muscle seat. I took a 2000 mile maiden trip to the Hill Country Rally in March via Dallas and Houston and it was quite comfortable. I'm 6-1 220. The looks are unbeatable IMHO! :punk: I passed on updating the passenger pillion since this was built as a solo ride only. The Victory Cross roads gets the call for all two riding. Talk about comfort!! :eusa_dance:

Attachments

• seat1.jpg
    seat1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 39
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 35
Sad that I probably will never be able to try a Maxgasser. Last year at 64 years old, I went 820mi from my house to San Diego in 14 1/2 hours on a sportmax seat. Felt that I could have turned around and went back the same day. Must admit that I had a drivers backrest and footpegs on my crash bars. Ride enough and you will find out what works for you.

P.s. Could have made much better time if I didn't have to stop 7 times for gas.

Sad that I probably will never be able to try a Maxgasser. Last year at 64 years old, I went 820mi from my house to San Diego in 14 1/2 hours on a sportmax seat. Felt that I could have turned around and went back the same day. Must admit that I had a drivers backrest and footpegs on my crash bars. Ride enough and you will find out what works for you.

P.s. Could have made much better time if I didn't have to stop 7 times for gas.

Well if your are ever in the Far South of California again stop by and I'll throw mine on yours and you can take it for a spin.

Besides the Maxgasser, I'd say My custom made seat is the best long ride seat.
Why you ask ?
Because I spent a few days custom fitting it to fit my body !!!!
I shaped it to fit me perfectly and then added some foam to the butt area and I can ride for hours now without issue.
The stock shaped seat would cause my legs and A$$ to go numb after about 50 miles.
I have ridden quite a few 300-500 mile days on my reshaped seat without that happening.
I used guides like these to do it:
http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14719
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

Here's a pic of the stock shaped seat vs. my reshaped seat:
attachment.php

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread...but is the Maxgasser seat still available? Went to the site and links dead...
needs to fit a GEN1 Max : Did OEM....did upgraded (non-flap) Corbin...everyone I've talked to local just wants to cut foam OUT when I need more foam IN...
gotta be a current option...

As Shakespeare may have written 'comfort is in the arse of the sitter' i.e. what suits one may not suit another.
I can't say which is 'best' but I had my (bike) seat re-profiled and a gel pad inserted. My knees start to complain before by bum so I consider it a result.

1688391769249.png
Papinga3's link, I like a Corbin seat, and use one. FYI, a custom one with a backrest (available for the rider and the passenger, at $$$ cost, it slides into a square socket at either place) is about $1,000!

People either swear-by a Corbin, or swear at-it. I like mine. I didn't buy one when I bought my '92 at the Ft. Lauderdale Yamaha dealer, but later I tried one, and haven't gone back to OEM.

HOLESHOT/ CORBIN SEAT & BACK REST FOR YAMAHA V-MAX (1985-2007)
DescriptionPart #Price
Holeshot / Corbin SeatVMAX-GL-DW618.00 / each
Holeshot / Corbin Back Rest02-SB-DW328.00 / each
All orders plus shipping - Prices subject to change without notice
These are a non-returnable item!

FYI, all Corbins have some wear points which don't affect their use, none are on the seating area, but they do develop wear points where you can end up with tears/holes. Typical places this happens are the front 'horns' where the seat goes up to the scoops, and it's at the point of the seat cover where the material folds under the edge of the seat. It also happens on the back of the seat at the edge. The tears don't ruin the seat by going into the area where you sit, but they're there after a few seasons. Think of it as a badge of honor.

Last edited:
Already mentioned I've got a Corbin and yes, better than OEM, but it's very hard and I've tried to make it more comfortable over the years by adding temp foam/sheepskin cover when touring...but it's not enough. I'm in the swear 'at-it' group hence why I was asking about other options

Last edited:
Already mentioned I've got a Corbin and yes, better than OEM, but it's very hard and I've tried to make it more comfortable over the years by adding temp foam/sheepskin cover when touring...but it's not enough. I'm in the swear 'at-it' group hence why I was asking about other options
There is an Airhawk pad that many have preferred.

I've also tried other seat padding i.e. gel, foam; better than nothing but an improper poor seat is...just that; the pad just takes on the shape of the seat underneath and doesnt help when the seat is significantly uncomfortable.

Contemplated a Day-Long seat but they're not suited to the Vmax and with the very wide sides, can see issues trying to drop your legs down for stopping.

Perhaps I need to buy a 2nd hand corbin and see if I/someone can reshape/repad it.

Latest posts

Back