Stripping powdercoat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
What is the best way to strip powdercoat? My scoops are powdercoated, and I'm buying some wheels, and dont know if everything will match, so just planning ahead....just in case.

Thanks

Attachments

• user8061_pic8978_1396283860.jpg
    user8061_pic8978_1396283860.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 45
  • Red Carrozzerias.jpg
    Red Carrozzerias.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Red Night Side View.jpg
    Red Night Side View.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 45
Best way is to give them to someone with a media blaster. Then have them refinished in a different color.

I've removed PC with Tal Strip II aerosol paint remover but it took forever compared to paint.

Mist blasting shops would charge a nominal fee compared to your time, finger tips, scotch Brite pads, and paint stripper required to do it.

Eastwood sells some good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Id just wet sand them and shootem the appropriate color, UNLESS you plan on anodizing them to match the rims... then Id do a media blast followed by some OCD wet sanding... or a chem stripper as has been mentioned, but reguardless of the stripping method used, there will be wet sanding in the prep. My reccomendation is to just take em into the shower with ya for the wet sanding with a couple of beers. Its practical, kills 2 needs with one shower and is surprisingly relaxing, lol.

The coater here either bakes it off (600+ degrees) or has a chemical dip that melts it off. Sanding it will take forever.

So you pulled the trigger on the wheels? Cool! For me, colors don't have to be a perfect match. If the colors are close you will be the only one who knows. Just saying

So you pulled the trigger on the wheels? Cool! For me, colors don't have to be a perfect match. If the colors are close you will be the only one who knows. Just saying

Thanks for the info guys. Yep Barry, your right, but I'm someone that notices things like that. Its like the scoops. They were powdercoated to match the STRIPE on the 05-07 wheels. I will have time with this to get it right. I do have the set of stock colored scoops that came off the 07 sitting on a shelf in the garage. When I thought about getting the scoops powdercoated, I bought another set, so that way i could still ride, while the scoops were being coated.

Thanks for everyones answers.

Media blasting aluminum to remove PC will pit the aluminum...chemical strip is the best bet...heating aluminum to high temp also not recommended (but scoops are not "supporting" anything so structural integrity is not an issue)...the chems I have strip in 30 seconds, but they are expensive & nasty...contact a local shop, they should be able to assist...

Media blasting aluminum to remove PC will pit the aluminum...chemical strip is the best bet...heating aluminum to high temp also not recommended (but scoops are not "supporting" anything so structural integrity is not an issue)...the chems I have strip in 30 seconds, but they are expensive & nasty...contact a local shop, they should be able to assist...

Ok, thanks for the info.

Those rims are gonna look great Eric! So are you gonna sell the maxdaddy rear? I would be interested if you are.

^ Get in line 06VMaximus !!!!!!!! (not really, if Eric is willing to sell you his current rear wheel, I say more power to you and him !)
I personally can't wait to see Eric's Dyno results with the Carr rear wheel vs. his current heavy A$$ rear wheel.
If he doesn't break 120 RWHP I'll be shocked.
I want to see a Dyno sheet from Eric showing 123-125 RWHP after he puts those Carrs on his Vmax.

^ Get in line 06VMaximus !!!!!!!! (not really, if Eric is willing to sll you his current rear wheel, I say more power to you and him !)
I personally can't wait to see Eric's Dyno results with the Carr rear wheel vs. his current heavy A$$ rear wheel.
I want to see a Dyno sheet from Eric showing 123-125 RWHP after he puts those Carrs on his Vmax.

If he stood up he would get that extra hp-:rofl_200:

If he stood up he would get that extra hp-:rofl_200:
That rear wheel he has on it is quite a bit heavier than stock so I'd guess it costs him at least 2-3 RWHP.
And if he'd just listen to me and paint it Green he'd gain at least 4-5 RWHP. ;)

That rear wheel he has on it is quite a bit heavier than stock so I'd guess it costs him at least 2-3 RWHP.
And if he'd just listen to me and paint it Green he'd gain at least 4-5 RWHP. ;)

+1 "Paint it Black" like Mick said---HE thinks I hate dynos and and reality I've probably spent more time on one that HE. Never sat on the bike though.

Those rims are gonna look great Eric! So are you gonna sell the maxdaddy rear? I would be interested if you are.

Unfortunately not. I still have to go to Dannys and pick up the 86 PCW bike, that Ive made a verbal handshake for. Ive talked to Sean, and gonna get it chromed. All of the PCW 1260's make between 132 and 135 HP, and I THINK Danny told me that this one was 134, so if I lose 4 hp due to it being heavy....not really a big deal. It is a helluva bike, and I think the Maxdaddy wheel chromed will look INCREDIBLE.

http://s380.photobucket.com/user/danu3247/media/PCW 1260 VMax/Mellomax 10-14-15_zpsgumtvwfu.mp4.html

+1 "forever"

Just wanna say, I got home, and the fork brace and the COPS braces were here waiting for me. Everything looks incredible as usual. ALWAYS a pleasure doing business with you. The fork brace, I'm planning on putting it on the 86.

Attachments

• 20160707_104656[1].jpg
    20160707_104656[1].jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20160707_104704[1].jpg
    20160707_104704[1].jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 18
^ Get in line 06VMaximus !!!!!!!! (not really, if Eric is willing to sell you his current rear wheel, I say more power to you and him !)
Sounds like a good reason to Drag Race again Eric!

What is the best way to strip powdercoat? My scoops are powdercoated, and I'm buying some wheels, and dont know if everything will match, so just planning ahead....just in case.

Thanks

(Aircraft) paint remover. Nice wheels!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back