Stripping powdercoat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coater here either bakes it off (600+ degrees) or has a chemical dip that melts it off. Sanding it will take forever.

Baking it off would be the last thing I personally would ever try. I have run into problems with aluminum and powder coaters. Sometimes depending on the grade the temp can be to high causing weak spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May try MEK. Super nasty stuff, seems to dissolve everything (including lungs) except metal.

Yep, MEK would work....I also work in Industrial safety, and MEK is DANGEROUS. Ive know of painters that used MEK for years, and now have Parkinson like symptoms, and others that ran into problems with organ failure.

Baking it off would be the last thing I personally would ever try. I have run into problems with aluminum and powder coaters. Sometimes depending on the grade the temp can be to high causing weak spots.

True. Ive wondered (If I have to), if it would just be easier to but another set of scoops, and just sells these?

True. Ive wondered (If I have to), if it would just be easier to but another set of scoops, and just sells these?

Try that aircraft paint remover. A friend of mine says it works very well.

Having stripped ALOT of parts that are PC'ed, I can say small parts I will strip with air craft stripper; takes forever, and then media blast. I use 120 grit aluminum oxide to rough the surface so the PC will stick. I noticed someone mentioned wet sanding. I would assume that they are NOT going to PC and instead wet paint them. While I have experimented with PC'ing sanded parts, I found it does not adhere as good as when its done on a media blasted part. The end result after PC'ing was the same. Couldnt tell the difference between the two parts. So IMHO its a waste to wet sand parts that are going to be PC'ed.

When it comes to wheels and large parts, I have a local stripper that I have them do those because it just takes too long and I am not setup to make it worth my while. The last time I had a set of truck wheels stripped it cost $30 a wheel. Didnt even make sense for me to attempt turning on my compressor for that cost ( $120 total for 4 ).

Good luck.

Aircraft stripper works sometimes...but doesn't even dent red oxide...only MEK strips quickly...there are many other enviro solutions that take hours to dissolve the PC, but they wear out quickly and are costly...use of PPE is HIGHLY recommended when using such nasty chems...

No real issue heating aluminum to 600 degrees if done correctly...it must be heated slowly and cooled slowly...otherwise the thinner pieces expand/contract faster than the thicker pieces and micro-fractures can occur...shouldn't ever be an issue for a heavy wheel as it takes forever to heat/cool those things...

I do Industrial safety as well as being a Paramedic, MEK is something that makes me nervous.

Can't argue that...however, due to it's quickness, my exposure is very minimal...and I always strip outdoors...I don't come across too many PC stripping jobs so again even less exposure

Most jobs are paint removal...glass bead handles that with ease :)

Latest posts

Back