Just got run over by an SUV need advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
Hi guys,

The good news is that I am ok, but my VMax has seen better days.

Short story is that I was 1 house from home. I was stopped at a T intersection and saw a Mercedes SUV cut the corner from my right, headed right for me - in my lane. The kid was on a cell phone and ended up riding up my tire and forks with the passenger side of his bumper. Any faster (on his end) or another foot forward and I doubt that I would be writing this post.

The SUV was an ML350. The bumper went all the way over my front tire, destroyed the front fender and left some scuff marks on the front forks.

I called the police and the driver got a citation for being in the oncoming traffic lane and illegal use of a cell phone while driving.

So now onto my questions for you guys:

Considering the SUV ended up on top of the front wheel and touched the front forks AND the front brakes are now spongy what would you look at to get replaced to ensure safe riding on the bike?

My first thoughts are:

Check frame
Check front head
Replace front bearings
Replaces front tubes
Replace front rim

Next, I live in Albany NY. I remember reading some good things about Ronnie's shop in Guilderland. Anybody have any suggestions on a good shop that would go through the bike?

Finally, I only had liability on the bike, so I have filed a claim against the owners insurance company - Nationwide. Anybody have any dealings with them? Any tips on how to get them to pay for all necessary repairs?

A sad day, but a lucky one as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

451e293c858dbb7f90f7b0db2d0330aa.jpg
ad83a40025753e89465b2fc1bdc183a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally they are at fault so not worth bothering to make it a DIY project. Find a shop that can handle the work properly and turn it over to be covered by insurance. I hope someone can point you to a good shop in the area. Really glad you came out unscathed!

Wow! Glad you are OK! :cheers: Take it your favorite mechanic and tell him what happened. He should be able to determine what needs replaced. Insurance will probably state that you have to do this to be covered. Just don't let them write off your bike!

Glad that your OK. Take it to a shop.....Checking the frame will be a professional thing.

wow nice to here you ok. i think we should find the suv and use it as a vmax ramp.

Nationwide should cover you, they are a pretty reputable insurance company. As far as parts, you're east of me, but, Lary from Rochester, runs LCR Performance will have everything you need and will ship, he has 99.9% of all any part seal etc in stock. Has the frames forks and other stuff hanging from the ceiling. His shops amazing and he's definitely worth the call. Myself, I would replace the whole front, just to know that it's good to go.
Hell, like the guys are saying take it to a shop, and Lary is a vmax shop.

Wow! Glad you are OK! :cheers: Take it your favorite mechanic and tell him what happened. He should be able to determine what needs replaced. Insurance will probably state that you have to do this to be covered. Just don't let them write off your bike!

By the time parts and labor are figured out, they will want to do just that.

Yeah, I bet your bike is history, as far as the insurance co will be concerned. Just don't let them total it as "non-rebuildable." If they do, that frame and VIN is as good as dead. You could buy a frame w/a title & transfer your stuff if they did say, "non-rebuildable."

I was hit by a Nationwide insured driver and they were quick to get my truck fixed and I had no issues, I had a rental in the meantime.

Dannymax is in Columbia county.

Thanks Blax,

I sent Danny a pm.

I definitely want a good shop to do the work - if it does not get salvaged.

Looking at the bike, there does not appear to be much damage other than the front fender.

The front shocks seem to move smoothly and compress a good 3 inches when I rock the bike ( I have progressives).

The neck welds and paint seem ok, but I do see some shiny metal at the bottom of the lower triple tree connection to the neck:
a3967fa33d6c66814b0dd46ee3666a3e.jpg

Alignment of the front forks is clearly off, based on what is left of the front fender:
6c5d3060f088bd92c431e6b73deaa51e.jpg
f5c2e6b5b6ff5c2a8af32afcd97824e2.jpg
942e8eeb4ee8f737d9397f407c0b4131.jpg

The rub mark on the tire is from me pushing the bike 200 yards home...

Some picks when the bike is on center stand:

0e9b91c01904b02c8bba751b8d4ed01e.jpg
58f2d83f1dcfb5524882daf7e54a527b.jpg
3279bc2abd60a8fddf7026640f68d443.jpg

On a separate note, I noticed the following:

5aee3ee85f941751bf598edd8434beec.jpg

The black smudge at the top is clearly rubber off of my 120/90/18 Shinko 230 front tire. I had the fender off before I put the tire on and the material was not there when I had the stock Dunlop on it.

I did have vibration on the bike when going above 80 mph. Looks like this was a contributor to the issue.

Well that doesn't look that bad. However, wait for the adjuster to tell you what they want to do, and then make an informed decision. Did the SUV roll-over your bike at any point? If so, I would carefully look for any ripples in the paint, indicating metal stressed beyond its strength. There are businesses like CompuTrack which can determine your bike's alignment, and can pull it back if it's capable of being fixed safely, the frame that is.

Glad you are okay!
Your bike can be fixed so don't worry
As long as you are okay!

Latest posts

Back