Best Stock Seat Mod?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the new version. The old version has a flap on the passenger portion instead of a plug in the middle. Plus the old version was difficult to gas up, especially when they went to the gas hoses with the large rubber housings/covers. That is probably why they changed the design. The backrest is just an option that plugs into the back of the seat. The angle of the backrest is adjustable. Don't have any great pics but this should give you an idea. Try to ignore the giant tail bag. :biglaugh:

Attachments

• Corbin Backrest - R.jpg
    Corbin Backrest - R.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Left - 1-2 - R.jpg
    Left - 1-2 - R.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Luggage Rack - NR Bag - R.jpg
    Luggage Rack - NR Bag - R.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Right - 1-2 - R.jpg
    Right - 1-2 - R.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 53
I have one of Sean's seats and at first I had it cut to a full cut, and while it was much better than stock after about 250-300 miles I would get a little uncomfortable after 50 or so miles after a fuel stop. I know I know 300 miles you should be happy, right? Well after taking a test ride on a Gen 2 and FJR I noticed that their seats were much flatter, so I talked to Sean and he agreed to have me send it back for a little more reshaping. When I received it back from him I knew after the first ride that he had made the seat perfect for me! I have since been on other long rides (600+ in one day) and no numbness like the original seat or soreness from sitting in one spot for 10+ hours. I did not have forward pegs for my last ride but I do now so my only issue (with my knees needing to be stretched) is now eliminated.

So he just took the full cut and made if flatter? Put some insulation back in or just modded it more?

That is the new version. The old version has a flap on the passenger portion instead of a plug in the middle. Plus the old version was difficult to gas up, especially when they went to the gas hoses with the large rubber housings/covers. That is probably why they changed the design. The backrest is just an option that plugs into the back of the seat. The angle of the backrest is adjustable. Don't have any great pics but this should give you an idea. Try to ignore the giant tail bag.

Love the setup. Have the best of both worlds there. Power Sport Touring!

I see that other thread with a pic of the guy who inserted a slab of gel into the seat. Anyone ever done anything similar but with memory foam? Memory foam has come a long way from when it first came out. Just seems like about the perfect material to top a seat with. Like take a full cut Morley seat and add back in an inch or so of good quality MF.

The stock seat is also memory foam. I believe Brian's seat was one of the first mid cuts.

Sean

Nice rack you got that tail bag strapped onto, Don! :biglaugh:

After trying every rack/backrest option ever offered (Renn-Tech, HAC, OEM, Five-Star, MEK, Virago short backrest, etc, can't remember them all), this setup works best for me. The rack is big enough to fit the Givi trunk bracket and the large tail bag and is flush with the stock grab bar. That way it doesn't interfere with the Givi trunk when mounted. I've got your backrest also but go with the Corbin one as is quicker to mount and dismount and also doesn't interfere with the Givi or large tail bags. After years of experimentation and tons of wasted money, I finally have the combination that works best for me. I have complete flexibility on what luggage I use and my backrest use. I am still figuring out what hard saddlebag setup to go with. I have several different mounting systems and haven't found the exact saddlebag yet. Every one so far has some negative points.

After trying every rack/backrest option ever offered (Renn-Tech, HAC, OEM, Five-Star, MEK, Virago short backrest, etc, can't remember them all), this setup works best for me. The rack is big enough to fit the Givi trunk bracket and the large tail bag and is flush with the stock grab bar. That way it doesn't interfere with the Givi trunk when mounted. I've got your backrest also but go with the Corbin one as is quicker to mount and dismount and also doesn't interfere with the Givi or large tail bags. After years of experimentation and tons of wasted money, I finally have the combination that works best for me. I have complete flexibility on what luggage I use and my backrest use. I am still figuring out what hard saddlebag setup to go with. I have several different mounting systems and haven't found the exact saddlebag yet. Every one so far has some negative points.

I just got that same rack. Looked all over at different racks, first one I went with and couldn't be happier. Besides really liking the look of the polished aluminum, squared form, size and flushness it seemed like probably the strongest available due to the solid quality material.

I cheaped out on bags though and just went with the Motogear. No elaborate mounting gear, good size, hang in place good, not so low or deep they get into the springs and at $50 for the set can't really beat that as a good place to start. They seem pretty damn well made and look good too.
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73707-MotoGear-Motorcycle/dp/B000RN4FK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398581031&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+saddlebags

I do have to do a rear directional conversion to get them on there, like you did, but I don't really see a way around that if you want any kind of decent size saddlebags. The ones that fit in front of the lights just look too small to me.

Don, did you use the saddlemen's bracket or your conversion? Your setup looks much more narrow than the SM's. Made your own bracket? Plate holder looks different too.

The stock seat is also memory foam. I believe Brian's seat was one of the first mid cuts.

Sean

Really? Know the stock wasn't good but those seats were a long long time ago. (I was about 14 when mine came out, no exaggeration.) When did memory foam come out to the main public? Like 2002ish?

What I had in mind was getting a slab of the stuff that like a Tempurpedic bed is made from. I know you can get the memory foam bed toppers that are about 2-3 inches thick. That'd probably be about right because you'd sink down into it pretty much down to the under core. So you'd have the stiff good form of the re-shape and then the forming anti-vibration cushion effect of the memory foam.

Only thing I wonder is if it would be hot to sit on for long periods.

What are you guys calling memory foam and why ? I pour my foams and can make then either soft or hard and regardless of how I mix the batch the foam always returns to stock form after compression , infact the only foam that doesn't return after compression is styrofoam( I think that's what Corbin uses)

And when I say I pour the foam I mean I pour the foam, in fact I make the entire seat and it's parts, I don't have a "guy " that does it

I believe this is about "tempur", that is some serious NASA shit (sarcasm alert) that has nowadays available for the public too. Might be a great matress, but on a motorcycle I just don't know.. On a matress you are on it with whole body, on a motorcycle just with your arse on it so it might just bottom down and not be so comfy huh? And because it reacts with body heat, youll propably get some problems on a hot sunny days!

I have MAxGasser, it is very, very comfy seat and I would never change it to anything no more. First I thought it is a little expensive, but after seeing it in person, installing it and riding on it I think it is great bang for the buck! It is factory quality made product, everything is nice and sturdy and _no_core_needed!!_ as it isn't with many other modded seats. Sorry for the ad, but I just frikkin love it! The best mod for the stock seat? Get rid of it and install maxgasser (IMHO).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L56eYyAPwWo

Last edited:
I just got that same rack. Looked all over at different racks, first one I went with and couldn't be happier. Besides really liking the look of the polished aluminum, squared form, size and flushness it seemed like probably the strongest available due to the solid quality material.

I cheaped out on bags though and just went with the Motogear. No elaborate mounting gear, good size, hang in place good, not so low or deep they get into the springs and at $50 for the set can't really beat that as a good place to start. They seem pretty damn well made and look good too.
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Acces...8581031&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+saddlebags

I do have to do a rear directional conversion to get them on there, like you did, but I don't really see a way around that if you want any kind of decent size saddlebags. The ones that fit in front of the lights just look too small to me.

Don, did you use the saddlemen's bracket or your conversion? Your setup looks much more narrow than the SM's. Made your own bracket? Plate holder looks different too.

Made my own turn signal bracket. Very easy. Any straight stock bent and drilled. Plate holder is stock. Just added a lockable little box between plate and bracket for ins card, etc. I have a set of Nelson-Rigg soft saddlebags that are great. I just want hard bags for security on trips. Will eventually settle on some and set up a quick mount/dismount system than is still secure. When done will have soft bags and tail bag for times when security is not needed and Givi trunk and hard bags when security is needed.

I have the same rack as well, as far as turn signals go I just mounted a yellow led bullet style light to each side of my license plate and kept the small aluminum ones in place of the stock ones. I have cheap cortech saddle bags but they are nice but cover the main turn signals when I use them (not often) so I thought the yellow led's wired into the turn signals mounted on the plate was the easiest option.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I have MAxGasser, it is very, very comfy seat and I would never change it to anything no more. First I thought it is a little expensive, but after seeing it in person, installing it and riding on it I think it is great bang for the buck! It is factory quality made product, everything is nice and sturdy and _no_core_needed!!_ as it isn't with many other modded seats. Sorry for the ad, but I just frikkin love it! The best mod for the stock seat? Get rid of it and install maxgasser (IMHO).

Yeah but the Gasser flip up design has issue, imo. What if you have saddlebags that lay across the passenger seat? What if your gf is really fat and won't get off the seat when it's time to gas up? Can they put spring on there to launch her off for you?

I have the same rack as well, as far as turn signals go I just mounted a yellow led bullet style light to each side of my license plate and kept the small aluminum ones in place of the stock ones. I have cheap cortech saddle bags but they are nice but cover the main turn signals when I use them (not often) so I thought the yellow led's wired into the turn signals mounted on the plate was the easiest option.

I moved my stock lights to the plate, going to have to check out that little lock box mentioned, but want to go with something different for signals. The bullets don't look big enough to see in the day. I don't care as much about the front ones but I don't want some jack ass texting running up my ass because he didn't "notice my lights." Def want LED. Was looking at the torpedo style ones.

I'm curious what bracket you guys are using. I'd love to have a rack that can fit a large Givi top case for those long trips.

Thanks!

Percy

I'm curious what bracket you guys are using. I'd love to have a rack that can fit a large Givi top case for those long trips.

Thanks!

Percy

Thanks!

Percy[/QUOTE]

Mine is a Givi E30 Monolock trunk that comes with a universal bracket that bolts to a luggage rack. That was the largest I could fit and still use the Corbin backrest. If you are not using any backrest, you can fit a larger trunk. Have to use Monolock series as the Monokey series uses the bike specific racks. The Cycle-Istic rack works well in this case for several reasons.

1 - Sturdy.
2 - Large enough to fit the Givi universal bracket.
3 - Flush with the grab bar. Allows the trunk/tailbag to fit over the grab bar without hitting it. Otherwise would have to use even smaller trunk/tailbag due to interference from the grab bar.
I leave the Givi bracket attached all the time and just put a tail bag on it until I need the trunk.

Not to start a fight as I'm sure you are partial to your own seats but how do the Sportmax seats compare from a firmness perspective? I'm looking for best ass comfort :D

I have a Sportmax seat. It is firm, lower, and way more comfortable than a stock seat. It also resides in my attic, as a spare. Once I sat on Rick's seat I had to have one. I never regretted it. Best upgrade I ever did. Maxgasser let's me ride without even thinking about getting off. A larger tank now would be welcome.
Steve

I'm glad to have run across this thread before starting a new one. I just finished a three day 1500 mile run to the tail of the dragon and devils triangle. My commute was 640 miles one way with only gas stops, and on a stock seat. The seat to me was perfectly fine until now, I have been on my max since 05, and 300 miles has never been a issue. so what would be the answer for a little more comfort and retaining the stock height? Morley or sportmax? the gasser is out, I carry way to much luggage.

Attachments

• 10556222_10202538878969565_4627527782243541028_n.jpg
    10556222_10202538878969565_4627527782243541028_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 21
I'm glad to have run across this thread before starting a new one. I just finished a three day 1500 mile run to the tail of the dragon and devils triangle. My commute was 640 miles one way with only gas stops, and on a stock seat. The seat to me was perfectly fine until now, I have been on my max since 05, and 300 miles has never been a issue. so what would be the answer for a little more comfort and retaining the stock height? Morley or sportmax? the gasser is out, I carry way to much luggage.

I can also modify your stock seat to your likings, a little lower a little softer what ever it needs.

Been waiting on a new card to start advertising but I cant wait any more , Final Ass-Set , MC seat tailoring , home of the maxgasser. Cards to follow shortly ( I hope the next guy has the time to get it done)

I can also modify your stock seat to your likings, a little lower a little softer what ever it needs.

Been waiting on a new card to start advertising but I cant wait any more , Final Ass-Set , MC seat tailoring , home of the maxgasser. Cards to follow shortly ( I hope the next guy has the time to get it done)

I think this is my answer, since the stock is not that bad to me. I will pm for more info.

Latest posts

Back