Electrical gremlins

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirenut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's good at this? I thought I was being that I've been doing it for 16 years now.... That being said, My LED headlight came in the mail and I decided to install the smart switch and a SAE hook-up since I was gonna have it all apart anyway hiding wires. Got it all tucked away and before I completely put everything back together gave the key a test turn to make sure everything was working right still, PSSSFFFTTTTT. The 30A fuse toasted. So run switch OFF and key to ON the main fuse blows.:ummm:
Whatever I installed did't cause a short because the smart switch is fused separately. None of the other fuses blew.
Put meter between bike side of 30A fuse block and frame and have continuity with key ON
Disconnected ignition switch, lost continuity
Disconnected speedo, lost continuity
Hooked everything back up EXCEPT speedo, turn key ON, everything works.
How do you take the speedo apart? I think there's some corrosion going on in there somewhere OR am I reading through the lamps... MY HEAD HURTS!

Hmmm... only a bulb in the speedo, hard to imagine that is the issue. You said it happened when you hooked up a new headlight? Is it possible a wire to the speedo is shorted out to the frame in thee area where you were hooking up the light?

hmmm... Only a bulb in the speedo, hard to imagine that is the issue. You said it happened when you hooked up a new headlight? Is it possible a wire to the speedo is shorted out to the frame in thee area where you were hooking up the light?

+1

Hmmm... only a bulb in the speedo, hard to imagine that is the issue. You said it happened when you hooked up a new headlight? Is it possible a wire to the speedo is shorted out to the frame in thee area where you were hooking up the light?

I'm using stock housing still and did my checks before I jammed everything back in. i checked the wire from the connector in the headlamp to the speedo and still got the same result. I'm gonna run outside real quick and plug it in to see if it'll do it again. I've been staring at the schematic from Morley's site and can't understand where the ground would be coming from and cause a dead short like that.

Can we get links to the exact products you used and pictures of all that.
I'm sure, It will be helpful to others at some point.

Smart Switch: relay module to eliminate higher wattage light bulb from going through stock controls
SAE connector: DC quick connector for accessory plug-ins

Gotcha. Thanks.
Most folks on this forum just refer to them as relays.
I as well would be interested in the details of the riggin' you are installing. Been shoppin' around for one of those LED headlights.
Cheers!

Thinking if you run metric volts through SAE switches, something HAS to go wrong.....
Maybe I oughta stop thinking...

I run a couple SAE connectors on Redbone, one for the USB outlets, and the other for the voltmeter which shares duty as the point to plug in the battery tender trickle charger.

I ordered this relay from DigiSync and plan on sticking it in that cubby hole under the instrument cluster
IMG_2209.jpg
Attached positive (+) and negative (-) leads to battery....
IMG_2212.jpg
And Zip-Tyed my "Metric" DC voltage plug....
IMG_2213.jpg

Latest posts

Back