Odd line on battlax tyres

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablo

Reaction score
I went to the isle of man TT last week. The max had a good few hard runs and defended her honour admirably against all manner of crotch rockets. But my mate then asked a question about his rear tyre (also on a gen one max, and both of us running 17 inch rears and battlax tyres, albeit different types). So, he points out a line on his rear tyre that he hadnt seen before. Almost looked like something had rubbed on it. But when we look at mine we see a similar line. Mine is virtually straight all around the tyre, his is a little more wavy in comparison for want of a better description. Checking the fronts showed that they too also sport this thin line. Anyone got any ideas what the hell it is?

I can only seem to post one image in a post, but as both are almost identical lines on all our wheels it should be enough to just show one pic anyway.

I should add, it doesn't worry me so much as pique my curiosity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Almst looks like a seam in the rubber, if there isn't something contacting the tire, like at hard braking. Since the two of you have something similar, I would send an email to the Bridgestone distributor and include pictures of both bikes' 'tyres', and see what the business says. One bike doing it, a coincidence, two bikes, something's up. You should compare the build dates on the tyre sidewalls in your correspondence.

FYI, I also run a 17" rear and B.S. Battlax, and I don't see such a line on mine. Or the front, which is an 18".

There is a bolt that protrudes through the grabrail and fender in the rough center of the wheel. The only other bolt is in the lower center of the rock shield on the fuel tank. They are the only 2 locations that could cause that condition if it was external (other then spinning on a hard surface and gouging it).

Check the upper fender bolt- may not be stock.
If you run Isle of Man TT you know there is only 1 tire to run right?

MY wife has the new Battlax T30 tires on the front & back of her bike and both tires have that line in them. Not sure why, but it must have to do with the manufacturing process. :confused2:

Mike

MY wife has the new Battlax T30 tires on the front & back of her bike and both tires have that line in them. Not sure why, but it must have to do with the manufacturing process. :confused2:

Mike

Off topic, but Ive wondered about those tires.....how are they doing, and what are the ups and downs?

Definitely not a bolt causing it, already checked. Plus its way too uniform to be a contact thing. On mine its a near perfect line, while on my friends max its more wavy. Its an odd one to be sure. I am still thinking its some kind of moulding thing, but Two different bikes and all four tyres, definitely weird.

Thanks for the answers though people.

Whoever suggested Dunlops though, they are not for me, I suppose its a case of 'to each their own'. No disrespect to Dunlops or those who use them, its just that I have used dual compound Battlax tyres on the island for years and always found them to be good hoops. This year the only limitation I found with tyres on a vmax was actually because of the engine bars as they grounded out all too regularly, so the tyres have chicken strips that would have been much narrower were it not for the lack of lean angle. I cant fault the Battlax tyres in terms of their performance up to that lean angle limit and who knew the vmax came fitted with LAWS (Lean angle warning system), the sound and feel of chrome and steel being ground away on corners certainly makes you pay attention and pick the bike back up as soon as possible.

The only thing not to like about the tyres is the line.

Last edited:
Ps, just opened up a contact request with Bridgestone to see if they can answer the question. If i hear anything back I will post it here.

Definitely not a bolt causing it, already checked. Plus its way too uniform to be a contact thing. On mine its a near perfect line, while on my friends max its more wavy. Its an odd one to be sure. I am still thinking its some kind of moulding thing, but Two different bikes and all four tyres, definitely weird.

Thanks for the answers though people.

Whoever suggested Dunlops though, they are not for me, I suppose its a case of 'to each their own'. No disrespect to Dunlops or those who use them, its just that I have used dual compound Battlax tyres on the island for years and always found them to be good hoops. This year the only limitation I found with tyres on a vmax was actually because of the engine bars as they grounded out all too regularly, so the tyres have chicken strips that would have been much narrower were it not for the lack of lean angle. I cant fault the Battlax tyres in terms of their performance up to that lean angle limit and who knew the vmax came fitted with LAWS (Lean angle warning system), the sound and feel of chrome and steel being ground away on corners certainly makes you pay attention and pick the bike back up as soon as possible.

The only thing not about the tyres is the line.
No I was talking about the Dunlop Family that dominated Isle of Man for years.
Never been a fan of the Dunlop tire myself.

so, you will never guess what Bridgestone said about it?......

Feck all, not a word, zero response. zip, zero, nada.

Try the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and the federal DOT. CC the tire manufacturer. Include your documentation. Pics are important.

Realistically, if you don't have any ply separation (a bubble underneath the tread) it may just be where the strips of rubber fused together during the manufacturing process.

Try the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and the federal DOT. CC the tire manufacturer. Include your documentation. Pics are important.

Realistically, if you don't have any ply separation (a bubble underneath the tread) it may just be where the strips of rubber fused together during the manufacturing process.

thats kind of my issue though, that it MAY be something. never had it before and have run battlax tyres a lot on numerous bikes. the fact its on both tyres, not central, and the same on my mates bike, albeit deeper still on his, its a bit of a question as to what it actually is. turns out we both have it on both tyres. never seen it before hence this thread and an unanswered question to bridgestone

Latest posts

Back