How to measure wet float levels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been asked how to do this and notice there isn't a sticky for this in the carbs section.

First, here's a link showing where the float bowl drain screws are:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1570

The line on the carb body to measure from is on the left side of each carb just rear of the slide cover. See below. The line is in between "Mikuni" and "Made in Japan".

floatmeasuringline.jpg

To measure, need some clear hose that'll fit over the drain tube nice and tight. One end of hose attaches to the drain tube. For the other end, measure 15 mm down from the end and mark it...I use electrical tape. Measure 17 mm down and mark again. You should now have a small window between the pieces of black tape...that's the range for fuel level to be in spec. Open drain screw. Cycle key on/off to keep float bowls full of fuel. Watch the clear hose and make sure no bubbles...raise tube up and down to get rid of any. Now, line the end of the hose with tape with the mark on the carb body. See if fuel is in the window...if it is you're in spec. If above window you're too rich and need to bend float tang out a bit. If below window to lean and need to push tang in slightly. I shoot for 17 mm since Vmax likes it on the lean side. I also ensure all four carbs read the same.

Mark

Short and Sweet, Nice Job Mark...... I Understand now... I use a Medical Nebulizer, (Breathing Equipment for Emphasima) wonder if some of that clear tubing couldn't just replace the black drain hose and be very handily available, already installed???

Probably could, not sure how they would hold up to fuel compared to the rubber hoses?

I should throw some of the hose into a jar of gas some day. I'd find out in a hurry....:biglaugh:

Tang is on the float, inside carb. You have to remove and disassemble carbs to get to them. It must be gently bent up or down to adjust. Once you find out your wet level is off, you can do the setting by looking at the sticky "how to set float levels dry".

Long enough to reach from drain hose to measuring line on carb body.

Maybe its just me and my proclivity towards laziness, but who really fusses with this? Theoretically, one could be pulling the carburetors out several times and separating the halves to get a spot-on float level. This is where I give Honda credit: They only offer a dry setting.

The wet setting is a crazy masochistic waste of time and energy to me, unless you are drag racing and hundrdths of a second matter.

From V-Max Outlaw:

Float height (AKA fuel level & how to..)

To get best low-end power, set float height (fuel level) so that the engine will accept full throttle, without missing or stumbling, in 2nd gear from 2.5k to 3k rpm at minimum.
Float heights, unless otherwise specified in the installation guide, are measured from the "gasket surface" of the carb body to the highest part of the top of the float - with the float tang touching but not compressing the float valve spring.
If the engine has a "wet" rhythmic, soggy area at full throttle / 3k-4k rpm, that gets worse as the engine heats up, lower the fuel level by resetting the float height 1mm greater (if the original was 13mm - go to 14mm). This will lower the fuel level, making full throttle / 2k-3k rpm leaner.
If the engine is "dry" and flat between 2k to 3k rpm, raise the fuel level.
Example: change float height from 15mm to 14mm to richen up that area

I think we need a chart that compares dry float changes to wet float change. Like an increase of X thousandths tang height equals X millimeters difference in wet level. That way even if our initial measurement is out of spec, we have an idea of how far to adjust the dry setting.

Latest posts

Back