HOW TO: Remove/Inspect/Replace your Starter Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just like to verify that the middle gear is lubricated with engine oil?
There is lots of documentation on the drain bolt and copper crush washer, but no mention of putting oil back in to the Middle gear...
I've watched many you tube videos on replacing the starter clutch and no one has mentioned replacing Middle Gear Oil... I'm guessing because it is lubricated via oil channels from the engine... Just want to be sure?

There is lots of documentation on the drain bolt and copper crush washer, but no mention of putting oil back in to the Middle gear...
I've watched many you tube videos on replacing the starter clutch and no one has mentioned replacing Middle Gear Oil... I'm guessing because it is lubricated via oil channels from the engine... Just want to be sure?

No special middle gear oil. It all comes from the oil pan on the bottom of the engine. Just top of the oil when your done

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________
TerryTheTillman
<!-- / sig -->

Thanks Mike.
New Question:
I think I read that someone else had experienced this, but I didn't see a conclusion...
After successfully replacing the starter clutch (with no oil leeks :), New Oil and filter.
Vmax started, but with one load knock. I'm hoping was a backfire? And now I seem to have a timing problem? I runs. Starter works good. Just isn't running very well. Only about 75% of its former performance :(
Load knock happened once each time I started it testing the starter. It idles ok ( a little higher than usual). A mechanic buddy of mine suggested disconnecting the battery for a minute to reset. Does the 2004 Vmax have a computerized ignition? Any other suggestions?
Going to try disconnecting the battery asap. I will post the results.

Reconnected battery, problem remains.
Tried to start and got loud knock. Trouble turning over.
Still sounds like timing.
Is it possible I've changed the timing some how while changing the starter clutch?

I lined up the key with the keyway with my finger in behind the flywheel, wiggled the flywheel a little until it slide on.
I have driven the bike since then, so, from what I've read today, the key must be in place, or the bike wouldn't run at all? Is that correct?

I also confessed on another thread (Not sure if you see them all?) that the flywheel dropped to the floor while I was removing it. (I read how to stop that after the fact). It only dropped from the height of the crank shaft with the bike on its double stand...
I couldn't see any damage.
I got the pickup coil resistance from another thread and mine measures 104ohms at the connector under the seat. (Spec said 110ohms +/-)

0dd0d19d63a5d928d40d21bb7e8a2086.jpg

I would be interested to find a picture of someone else’s from this angle to compare to see if it looks like it’s on correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7afde20699dc4da549443fbcc71e520c.jpg

I’m going to measure from the edge of the casing where the gasket goes to where the magnets are mounted on the flywheel and then from the edge of the Stator housing, where the gasket goes, to the pickup coil and compare to see if they line up?
Then pop the flywheel back off the crank to see where the key and slots ended up?

I’m going to measure from the edge of the casing where the gasket goes to where the magnets are mounted on the flywheel and then from the edge of the Stator housing, where the gasket goes, to the pickup coil and compare to see if they line up?
Then pop the flywheel back off the crank to see where the key and slots ended up?

You should be able to verify the flywheel is lined up with the keyway by just removing the bolt and taking a look.

7c263840e61a4b9a57bcc716dfc834af.jpg

I found my problem!
I can see where the key ended up on the inside of the flywheel by the impression that it made. I swear I felt the key engage the keyway when I put the flywheel on :/
The key is also now very squished into the crank shaft!
3cd9ee38711d68de0d7724308b2116bf.jpg

The only thing that looks irreparably damaged is the key itself...

Hopefully, I can pop the Woodruff key out and replace it without damage to anything else?

I guess I get to be a poster boy for one more thing not to do....

0a0308b1ab814dc581f6dc1f04751c25.jpg

a2264a4db32e4109ab42a5b7bf1d50ed.jpg

1c020d35eaac44beff185b0de08cde12.jpg

Called my local bike shop for a new Woodruff key.

Let’s see if I’m luckier than I am stupid, and I get this thing running properly again...

Glad you found your issue.. Simply chalk it up to a learning experience..
That's what I've done with all the FUBAR's that I've encountered with my used and abused 91.

Latest posts

Back