handlebar swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

child_of_fire

Reaction score
How involved and or difficult is it to swap handlebars for a gen1 max and what bars do folks recommend?

It's not too difficult, but it depends on a few things.

What type are you looking for?
Personally I prefer the look of the 'drag bars', ..not the straight, but with a lil angle.

Some bars can interfere with the 'ttank' if you turn the bars too much. (Just moving it around, no trouble with riding. ) risers can address this.

If u have shorter arms, this may not be as comfy as stock as well, although you can get risers to address this too.

Some bars 'may' require different length cables..mine are stock length, but there are some twists and curves in the cables. (They were on the.bike when I got it)

I believe Sean Morley sells different bars (and other goodies) ;) Maybe he'll chime in and be more help.

All in all it isn't a difficult job though.

Good luck.

A 'superbike' shape/'bend' is usually a good place to start. You really need to go to a well-stocked store and try some out by holding them in-place, and seeing if the reach to the bars, and the distance they 'rise' from the handlebar mount is to your liking. You can loosen your handlebar clamps and pivot them down to get a better idea of where the prospective bars will 'sit' on your bike.

If you try this, be sure that you adequately tighten the bars when you return your bars into usable position. And this is most IMPORTANT! Be sure to pump your clutch and brake levers until you get firm levers again for the brake, and that the clutch will totally disengage when you pull it in. You potentially could be introducing air into your lines if you pulled either lever while they were rolled-backwards while you were trying other bars.

This is especially possible if your fluid levels in the brake and clutch reservoirs are low.

Alternatively, you could totally-remove the handlebar clamp, and try to keep the handlebars upright, and use some towel and duct tape, zip ties, or a willing participant to hold them out of the way. I just don't know how-much freeplay there is to do this. Any time you mess with your hoses and cables, you have to be 100% sure you aren't going to pinch them. Move the bars fully side-to-side and ensure all is OK before you return to the road.

I like the superbars that I got from Sean. They are a little wider and pull you forward a little bit - so more aggressive riding position and a little more control.

They also do not require any mods to existing throttle and brake lines.

Install was pretty straightforward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superbike are by far the most popular of what we sell. Pictures added.

Attachments

• Handlebar Compare.jpg
    Handlebar Compare.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20160415_151832879.jpg
    IMG_20160415_151832879.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Superbike Bar 2.jpg
    Superbike Bar 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Superbike Bar.jpg
    Superbike Bar.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20160415_151957114.jpg
    IMG_20160415_151957114.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 230
I am used to the Stock bars and I like them But I have a set of Sean's Super bike bars that I may try out.
Drag bars make me lean farther forward than I want even with risers but a Lot of guys Love them.
So it really depends on what you like.

Ive had stock, drag, broomstick and now ProTaper dirt bike bars (not sure of the bend, its like a drag bar with a slight rise) and so far i like the ProTapers the best, for now, lol.

Ive had stock, drag, broomstick and now ProTaper dirt bike bars (not sure of the bend, its like a drag bar with a slight rise) and so far i like the ProTapers the best, for now, lol.

+1...I have the Carmichael bend protapers...much more control and they reduce the vibes quite a bit...no control adjustments required...

Out of these pictures, which one is the Superbike? What is the pullback on it?

I also think its the middle bar in pic 1, and the 3rd from the left in pic #2. The super bike bars on a bike are in pics 3 and 4. Here are some better pics after i swapped to a black set. They are swept back about 3 inches or so.

Attachments

• user8061_pic10609_1486955595.jpg
    user8061_pic10609_1486955595.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 153
  • user8061_pic10613_1486955705.jpg
    user8061_pic10613_1486955705.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 147
Super bike bar pic
78ad72f1d37cba4a6e8e793dcd886314.jpg
dfcb6c427c49e284c4c87c991bbe710d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone ever run the T Bars you see on the "club" style bikes? i like the idea of the bars even with my shoulders and spaced apart. not a fan of the look on the Dynas that seem to be popular now but from a functional standpoint it seems like a good way to ride

Latest posts

Back