Progressive 412's 11" - help a girl out! :)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdtuffgirl2003

Reaction score
I currently have stock shocks and have short stubby legs.....aka I'm tip toeing on a good day - I lucked into getting a set of progressive 412-4045s for $40 in the box and want to know if I NEED to make any other changes to my "Max" when I put these babies on! I have carpal tunnel issues so I'm kind of hoping to keep the front a little higher but understand that I might not get the choice. I'm also worried about the kickstand.

You can lower the front end using a Progressive Suspension spring lowering kit, and yes, I think you will require a modified sidestand, a shorter one, if you do these two things.

Be forewarned, two inches is probably not recommended for lowering at the rear, an inch-and-a-half is more like it. Half-an-inch may not seem like much difference, but it is when you are talking cornering clearance. You don't want to ground-out immobile parts of your bike when you're cornering, causing the tire contact patch to lever-itself off the pavement, and you into a low-side accident.

I think you may be able to get a shortened sidestand from PCW, and probably from Morley's Muscle (Sean Morley), who can also inform you about your lowering options front and rear, better than I can. Send him an email, he has a banner advertisement on the website at the top of the page. Another thing you can do is to always wear boots with thick soles, and there are multiple vendors on here who offer lowered seat foam options on OEM seatpans. Again, check the banner ads.

yeah I have pretty thick boots without looking like a member of Kiss anyway lol

I don't push the max to it's limits nor do I go on many twisties now a days. I'll see what advice comes in here today and then will msg Sean depending on the direction I take with this one :) Thanks!

The Progressive Suspension front-end kit allows you either 1 or 2 inches of internal lowering.

Have you taken either the MSF Basic Rider course or the Advanced Rider course? http://msf-usa.org/students.aspx I recommend you take both, you may already have taken the first to get your state motorcycle endorsement.

yeah I have pretty thick boots without looking like a member of Kiss anyway lol

I don't push the max to it's limits nor do I go on many twisties now a days. I'll see what advice comes in here today and then will msg Sean depending on the direction I take with this one :) Thanks!

The Progressive Suspension front-end kit allows you either 1 or 2 inches of internal lowering.

Have you taken either the MSF Basic Rider course or the Advanced Rider course? http://msf-usa.org/students.aspx I recommend you take both, you may already have taken the first to get your state motorcycle endorsement.

yes I have taken both courses. Recently too. Been riding for 20yrs. Had my Max for almost 5yrs. I just have nothing to prove and not a huge fan of people that ride in the twisties out here in San Diego.
I grew up riding in the mountains of VA - night and day :)

You have good experience! I agree w/Rusty, except instead of asking this guy:
ClickHandler.ashx

I would get a welder to cut some length out of your kickstand. Use a protractor to figure-out your lean angle stock, and then duplicate it when you've finished lowering the bike.

BTW, Wild Man Fischer did a song, "Merry-go-round," a strange cat, that. Punk before there was such a thing. I always thought the Ramones heard him and thought, "hey we can do that!"

thanks! What are your thoughts on the front end? Do I need to lower the front? if so - how much? do I just slide the front forks? (yes I will have a jack under it BEFORE I do anything lol) or do I need the lowering springs? Thanks!

You don't have to do anything else. Plenty of vmaxes out there with short shocks and no other mods. Not the best setup for handling but it may work for you.

If I had trouble reaching the ground I'd be more inclined to put a spring kit in the forks and lower them internally 2" and lower the rear 1".

If you are budget conscious and don't want to tear the forks apart slide them up 1" in the trees. Put your shocks on. See if you need to alter the kickstand.

If the kickstand needs work I'd talk to Sean. He normally does an exchange on them. He sends you a shortened one first and you mail yours to him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You have a 15 year old VMax. Have the forks ever been off and examined or the fork oil changed ? If you haven't done it and the p.o. didn't tell you or show a maintenance sheet , it may be time. That's when I would go with some Race Tech linear springs and their gold emulators . They can give you some ideas about the best way to lower your Max in the front and improve the handling at a higher level. Tell them your model bike , riding style , height ( and need to lower it ) and that your weight is 15 lbs, lower than it really is , as their springs are a good bit stronger than most springs , and they are a racing company which typically use stiffer springs. It is difficult to set the sag correctly using progressive springs due to their progressive spring rate function. With that said , they do function well for most cruisers and street bikes.

Ride on.:punk:

www.racetech.com/

Latest posts

Back