Crash, Hospital, need parts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz1961

Reaction score
Vmax 1.jpg

Vmax 2.jpgHello

I am happy and sad to write today

Nearly three months ago I was riding my 1985 Vmax to work
I was getting ready to join a major highway when I was hit by a car coming on my right.

I have no real memory of the accident, so much of what I can tell you has been from the police and ambulance that were called to the scene

I was travelling at about 40 kph and an old 82 year old man was speeding doing 100 kph
He went through a stop sign and hit me on my front wheel

I flew forward and hit the windscreen and was thrown 20 meters
A car then hit me from the oncoming traffic

I was unconscious and rushed to hospital. I remained unconscious for a week.
I suffered concussion, a broken hip, a broken right knee and two toes on my left foot, a broken right thumb and torn muscles everywhere.
The worse feeling now is the damage to muscles between my legs. It’s like a baseball is in there.

I am lucky to be alive and getting better slowly

The insurance company said they can’t repair my bike because it’s too old and too hard to get parts so they took it back to my garage
Today I got the payout figure
$200
I rang and spoke to them and they said it’s a 30 year old bike and lucky I got that

It’s all I wanted to hear

I contacted Danny and Steve o who have been great in giving me advice but I am hoping I can find someone who has a complete front end
I’m not in a hurry as I can’t do the work now anyway but I am hoping to rebuild it over winter when I can move properly again

I am not begging for parts here but I am just looking for honest prices from fellow vmax owners

The worst part is that I am in Japan
You would think you could get parts easy but it’s far from the truth

No one repairs things here and so it is very difficult
I can find a few odd parts but it will be easier if I can get it all together in one box and pay for the shipping

I look forward to hearing from you

And ride careful!

Glad you are still with us and a le to type the story! Definitely email Sean he should be able to get it all in one box. I hope your recovery is a quick one!

Sorry,Ican't help you with parts.But am happy to hear that you are OK after going through that.It's good to see after going through a life changing accident like that ,that you are ready to get back on a bike.It goes to show that riding is in your blood.I am very fortunate not to be involved in a bad accident in all my years of riding but if ever am i hope i have the courage to get back on .Again,glad to hear that you are OK.

Wow, its probably fortunate you dont remember much of that. I'm very glad your making a recovery and very sorry that it happened. Good luck on the recovery and I hope you get all the parts you need.

I've had PM's w/oz1961 about the particulars, and it's a sad story, he's lucky to be alive. I hope he makes a recovery quickly, but there is no easy path given the extent of his injuries.

Glad you are on the mend. Like said before, Sean is the one to go to for all the stuff you'll likely need to get your 85 on the mend as well.

$200 - my arse! Perhaps you can go after the old man for the repair bills?

Glad you are getting better.

I would certainly fight the insurance company on the replacement cost!

You got hit! - hire a lawyer!

Go after that insurance company, Vincent. There are other company's that pay out the true worth of classics and moded bikes. Make them aware of it. If you have pictures of upgrades it will help your cause. Progressive insurance is on the hook for a lot of money I put into my ride, if it's totaled. It's all documented. Get well soon.

That indemnity is bullshit. Tell the company that there are parts. Send them to over racing for an estimate And accept half of that it will be more than the value of the bike as a whole. I hate insurance companies.

Hope you get well soon, be sure and list all the parts you are needing on this site.
I will do some research to help find the parts as much as i can.
I'm sure there are more parts than just a front end- headlight, turn signals clutch and brake handles?
I do ship overseas too.

Glad that your on the mend. When you can post a list. There have been more than 1 instance of parts being donated on this forum.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I have some blinkers, mirrors (bar end) and radiator w/grill if you need them.
If so pm me your address. Sorry to hear.

Oh shit,..I'm sorry. Nobody needs this in their life. Hope you recover well. If I had extra parts, they would be coming your way fedex. Does Cash help ? send me your Email address and I can EMT you some money. Mabey we all can ?

It's going to be a rough recovery, having been through similar injuries on a bike I feel for you. I have the original forks off my '93, the chrome on the tubes is pretty scratched up but if you need any of the parts they're yours man. I might have a front fender and brace as well.

Wow, this is heart-warming to see, supporting what needs to be done to correct what the fates dealt this fellow biker. Hopefully he will be able to post a list of his needs and we can see what we each have surplus to help him out, sorta-like a wedding registry ("a "return-to-the-road" registry?).

Latest posts

Back