Crash, Hospital, need parts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheel can be shipped in it's own box from whomever. I have plenty of 86-07 wheels that would be cheap and same with forks. I can also reship anyones stuff if desired.

Glad to hear you survived.
I had a bad accident a few years ago and I'm still getting better everyday.
And I rebuild my Vmax as well so it can be done, just take your time and keep at it.

Yea, probably a set I can send him. We're reviewing the situation now with more pictures to determine what if any frame damage there is.

Man....sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear you are still with us and on the mend.

That looks like quite a bit of damage up front. I think I might check out the frame before starting to amass all of the parts for a rebuild. If your frame is bent or the head tube is trashed there may be more to the rebuild than just the fork and wheel. There are plenty on this forum that are much better technically than myself but a lateral hit hard enough to twist the fork tubes like a pipe cleaner put an awful lot of load on the head tube.

Hello and thank you for your mail

Its a difficult time for me now
I cant walk properly and need a few operations to my knees and hip from the crash

sadly it means that its really difficult to even get out to my garage to take photos of my beautiful poor bike

I have a great friend who knows nothing about mechanics that has been able to help me pull the front apart and take a few pictures

I hope he will be able to come over today and take a few more

I am also worried about the frame
I can see a little damage at present to the left front of the frame at the engine mount bracket

I am a BMW car mechanic from 15 years ago when I moved into HRM and shifted to Japan (japanese wife)
but I still play and help others fix their cars that would be way to expensive to repair if they paid a dealership

I have never changed a frame on a bike but Sean says it is not so difficult

sometimes i wonder if I should just split it up and give the parts away who need help but I really love my bike

also I feel it will be a really good way to mentally get over my accident and ride it again

I hope I can get the photos taken today so that Sean or others can give me some advice

Thanks for your mail and support

Hello again.

Well it’s been about 6 months since I have updated my post since my crash.
The good news is that I am getting better but it’s been a long hard road.
The worst problems that I have had have been my knees and sadly going to the toilet to urinate.

I have had five operations on my knees and I finally can walk without crutches or a cane.
I can’t run yet and it’s still very difficult to walk up stairs or for a long distance, but my legs are getting stronger and my knees seem to be working okay.
I was able to walk with my son to school for the first time in nearly a year last week.

The crash also damaged the nerves for urinating so I had a tube put me to open up the channel which is making things better.

I want to thank everyone, that has constantly sent me emails and best wishes and encouragement to keep going when it’s been tough on me and my family.
It meant a lot to me when I was told I need another operation and two more weeks in hospital and I opened my email and Vmax riders were telling me jokes or encouraging me to stay focused on my recovery and to love my wife.

On the weekend a friend helped me get by bike out and take some pictures of the front damage so that I can get the parts to fix it and ride again.

It will be wonderful to hear it start again and throw a leg over and let the clutch out.
Strangely my wife is encouraging me to do the same thing as she believes it’s important for my recovery to be complete.

Basically I need everything in the front

Many people have offered parts to help me fix it and Sean has offered to collect the parts to ship in one shipment to me.
It will reduce my costs.

If you have parts you don’t need and would still like to help me it would be fantastic.
I may be only able to say thank you but it is heartfelt and I will never forget your kindness.

I am not offended if those who wanted to help cannot anymore as it’s been a long time and you may have used the parts.

But if you can it would be great!

Thank you again and I will keep everyone up to date with the progress.

v

Attachments

• IMG_0037[1].jpg
    IMG_0037[1].jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0036[1].jpg
    IMG_0036[1].jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0047[1].jpg
    IMG_0047[1].jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0048[1].jpg
    IMG_0048[1].jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0052[1].jpg
    IMG_0052[1].jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0053[1].jpg
    IMG_0053[1].jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 35
I have an 85 too, and would like to donate this front end, its in better than good condition.
If you can use it, let me know how to get it to you. And I'm glad your getting better brother.
That's a super brace, also thrown in for the rebuild effort.

Attachments

• 20140824_184107.jpg
    20140824_184107.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I have an 85 too, and would like to donate this front end, its in better than good condition.
If you can use it, let me know how to get it to you. And I'm glad your getting better brother.
That's a super brace, also thrown in for the rebuild effort.

Thank you Gentsvmax!
PM

I think you may have a 1986 bike, from the date of manufacture. The steering head reads like it's a US market bike. The low serial #/VIN would suggest it's from the beginning of the 1986 production run. You have the later-model rear wheel, and the 1986-up side covers, too, all of which suggest it's a 1986 and not a 1985. You said you're in Japan? I think the Japanese market bikes didn't have the VBoost. The exhaust is different on the 1985 bikes, I think it's the exhaust canisters. Check here for more info: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/vmaxhistory.htm

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. you sustained trauma that may have been terminal if you had a compromised immune system, or if you had previously-injured yourself in the same areas. Plus, staph infections are common in the hospital, and can cause sepsis, which by itself can end things. Having a good physical therapist is important, and following the directions you get from them.

I think you may have a 1986 bike, from the date of manufacture. The steering head reads like it's a US market bike. The low serial #/VIN would suggest it's from the beginning of the 1986 production run. You have the later-model rear wheel, and the 1986-up side covers, too, all of which suggest it's a 1986 and not a 1985. You said you're in Japan? I think the Japanese market bikes didn't have the VBoost. The exhaust is different on the 1985 bikes, I think it's the exhaust canisters. Check here for more info: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/vmaxhistory.htm

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. you sustained trauma that may have been terminal if you had a compromised immune system, or if you had previously-injured yourself in the same areas. Plus, staph infections are common in the hospital, and can cause sepsis, which by itself can end things. Having a good physical therapist is important, and following the directions you get from them.
]

Hi Fire medic

Thanks for your mail
Ill also PM you

I bought my bike from an accountant in Japan who had had it since new
It was the first series of Vmax's sold in Japan
He may have had some options added but I am unsure

I have seen him from time to time and he still tells me how much he loves the bike but how scared he was everytime he rode it

It deffinatly has Vboost fitted standard

I took it to a Yamaha bike shop to get some parts a few years ago and it happened to be the same shop it was bought from.

They wondered what had hapened to it as they hadnt seen it for years

They told me that not many Vboost Vmax's were sold as the Japanese riders were mostly too small and scared

They seemed to think mine was special for some reason

Hello

Thank you for everyones PM to me since yesterday.
Many have asked me to post a list of the parts I need

I showed Sean pictures of my frame and where iy is bent and it looks like I can push it back okay.

here is a list of the parts I am looking for
if you are able to help in any way it will be great

Radiator complete
Electric Fan and shroud
Horn
Headlight complete
Handle bars
Front wheel and rotors
exhaust sections
Front clutch and brake handles
Left hand foot clutch lever
Front mudguard