Vmax vs Busa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently called State Farm and full coverage for a 09 Busa is around $370 a yr, with moderate limits from what I remember.

I pay $160 a yr for moderate limit full coverage for 85 Vmax through Progressive.
If I combined the bikes, I pay $200 for the Vmax and less than $300 for the Busa, through State Farm. If I add my auto, renters insurance, I save more.

Looks like I might be switching. Progressive has road side assistance, I have used 2x, lockout and a tow (alternator crapped out on me on major interstate)....awesome. State Farm agent said they include that as well, so.. who knows. I'm in MN btw. 34yo, good record.

I pay $75/yr through Progressive on my 99 max, they say it's their lowest possible premium.

If I find a Busa in the bargain bin I'm there, make that true for a ZX14 as well.

I pay $75/yr through Progressive on my 99 max, they say it's their lowest possible premium.

If I find a Busa in the bargain bin I'm there, make that true for a ZX14 as well.

Liability only on the 99 I presume?

I think State Farm goes off of CC's more than type of bike.. so I hear ya on the Busa and/or Zx14...heard good things but a bit partial to Busa. It got me thinking though, should I look into getting a sport bike? If I can insure it cheap enough, maybe... never imagined myself on a, say, CBR929RR, but then again, it's about time I start gettin' leie'd... never did pick up the chicks on my Maxx.. and it don't get much hotter than a cute little number propped up on the back of a Super Sport..... still gotta find that hot little number though..

There was a decent priced 2001 CBR 929RR on CL recently, gone now, good price 2500 asking.

Let me ask you guys this though, I was looking around, CBR's, GSXr's, etc and people still want ridiculous prices for these bikes (sport bikes, 1000cc or less) 10+ yrs old...WHAT? For that much, I'd just get the Busa and be done. Check it out on CL.... are people crazy or is it just me?

Liability only on the 99 I presume?

I think State Farm goes off of CC's more than type of bike.. so I hear ya on the Busa and/or Zx14...heard good things but a bit partial to Busa. It got me thinking though, should I look into getting a sport bike? If I can insure it cheap enough, maybe... never imagined myself on a, say, CBR929RR, but then again, it's about time I start gettin' leie'd... never did pick up the chicks on my Maxx.. and it don't get much hotter than a cute little number propped up on the back of a Super Sport..... still gotta find that hot little number though..

There was a decent priced 2001 CBR 929RR on CL recently, gone now, good price 2500 asking.

Let me ask you guys this though, I was looking around, CBR's, GSXr's, etc and people still want ridiculous prices for these bikes (sport bikes, 1000cc or less) 10+ yrs old...WHAT? For that much, I'd just get the Busa and be done. Check it out on CL.... are people crazy or is it just me?
Mine is $75 from progressive also -- I have 3 Suzuki gsxr 1100's (the vmax killers) from 1986-87 and the value goes up every year.

^(gonna get some hate mail for that)

Mine is $75 from progressive also -- I have 3 Suzuki gsxr 1100's (the vmax killers) from 1986-87 and the value goes up every year.

^(gonna get some hate mail for that)

..well that's just great...not only am I crawling across the finish line, but I still can't rub 2 nickels together with it...ugh. I gotta do some research on your Vmax killa's...

..well that's just great...not only am I crawling across the finish line, but I still can't rub 2 nickels together with it...ugh. I gotta do some research on your Vmax killa's...

Comparing a power cruiser to a liter class sport bike is really apples to oranges. In the cruiser world a Vmax is still quite a force but to expect to show tail light to gixxer or R1 is optimistic. Thats for the gen 2 guys :clapping:
Really it just has to be fast enough for me to enjoy, and the performance benchmark was it has to be fast enough to spank a Harley, even a Vrod. It has demonstrated the ability to do that even while running too rich so it's good enough for me.

I see sport bikes on CL on the cheap quite a bit, you can buy baskets of 600cc class bikes all day long, really noticed the value of used HDs dropping fast to. There are always guys selling bikes/cars/trucks that think they are worth double book for some reason, I go right past those, or the clowns that end the price with a 99. I occasionally stumble across a rough older Busa or ZX14 fairly cheap and one day I'm going to jump on one, preferably a Busa, I hear they actually make fairly comfortable distance bikes with some tweaking.

One thing to think about the Vmax as well....its really decent, especially for a 30 yo bike (the gen 1's) and will still draw people to it at the gas pumps. Doesnt really matter what kind of liter bike you have....not gonna happen.

One thing to think about the Vmax as well....its really decent, especially for a 30 yo bike (the gen 1's) and will still draw people to it at the gas pumps. Doesnt really matter what kind of liter bike you have....not gonna happen.

You're right and good point.

.. and on top of that, if someone comes over to chat about the Vmax, chances are that they are a person with some knowledge about the bike, and definitely worth taking a few moments to chat.

It amazes me today that my bike is nearly as old as I am. The technicality and sophistication of the workings of the Vmax is still impressive, even moreso 30+ yrs ago...

For these reasons among others, I'll always have my Vmax.

Thank you all that help make things happen for the rest of us know-nothing-ers. Thank you brothers.

.....with that said, I wouldn't mind spending a little bit of time on a Busa....just the tip....see what it feels like...

I have a couple Blackbirds that are comfortable , quick , and stop & handle quite well for a super tourer . Used prices range from $2,500 to $ 6K for a low mileage keeper.
Sold in the states from '96-'03 and until '07 overseas. Kind of like the Max in that you usually don't see your bike coming at you on the highway or at your favorite hangout.

Attachments

• BB & Sr 71 Blackbird.jpg
    BB & Sr 71 Blackbird.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 45
  • BB '02 Akrapovic ZX14 Front End   5.jpg
    BB '02 Akrapovic ZX14 Front End 5.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 37
  • BB - Whitebird   16.jpg
    BB - Whitebird 16.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 46
  • BBB '99 With Givi Luggage   9.jpg
    BBB '99 With Givi Luggage 9.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 41
They are in my photos if you want to take a look and I have to say they do attract more attention than my Vmax.

I have a couple Blackbirds that are comfortable , quick , and stop & handle quite well for a super tourer . Used prices range from $2,500 to $ 6K for a low mileage keeper.
Sold in the states from '96-'03 and until '07 overseas. Kind of like the Max in that you usually don't see your bike coming at you on the highway or at your favorite hangout.

Awesome. I've always had a crush on the Blackbird.

i have 1985 max and 2006 busa I also had 1992 and 2000 max totaled and stoled. busa is fast and handle better than the gen 1 the max has class and can be fix up to be cooler.to pick one I go with max best of two worlds plastic bike are just that.

Wow!

1999 Busa...unrestricted year from what I remember.. Cool guys thanks for the input..

I have seen a Busa with Corbin hard bags, looks sweet but not cheap..

One member on here mentioned a 1" riser or something, making the Busa more comfy for longer rides...I dont know much about it all.

Is the ZX14 considered super sport bike? = insurance much more..?

I know the Busa ain't cheap either though.... I do know this though, my 85 Vmax isn't comfy for long rides...my back KILLS!!

Bad backs are a sign of old age! Since I qualify in age area, I too had the issue before with "Bang" ( my Max) before some easy ergo mods. A small riser (3/4") and forward controls cured my problem. I also ride with a lambskin gel seat which makes 200 mi rides well within my comfort zone. Good Ridin'!!!

YES, when i'm on my Busa everybody stares at it. My Vmax not so much :biglaugh:
Interesting - I seem to have the opposite experience. The 'busa scores as "just another bike," but the Vmax gets thumbs up and comments.

Some of that may be because the Hayabusa makes as much noise as a nice-running 90's Toyota Supra, while the Vmax sounds like a door-slammer idling as it reverses its way back to the staging lights after the burnout. :)

My brother had a 2005 Busa and insurance was only $400.00 a yr for Full Coverage with State Farm but he did also have his car and house insured thru them has well , gave him a discount for having all 3 with them.

Back