top speed of your vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you guys are luck bastards. I can only get up to 88 MPH and have to back off. After that I end up jumping through time and ending up in wheat fields.:damn angry:
All I have to say if you can jump through time and take your avatar with you, landing in a wheat field would be quite alright!:punk:

I know this is off topic but am I the only one who clicks on Redbones avatars trying to get a bigger picture?:worthy:

Had mine on 150 MPH about ten times in the 25 yrs since I owned it. I don't know if it would go any faster, oil light came on every time I hit 150.

I had mine up to 152-3 MPH once and a Vette was running next to me to verify my speed, my speedo said 155-160 MPH (Bouncing around at max), the best I could tell.
That was when the bike was new and totally stock.
Other than that I have exceeded 130 MPH many times and hit 100 fairly regularly.
But normally I ride at about 10 over the posted limit so I don't attract any unwanted attention.

Last edited:
I have a set of 43 mm clip-ons to graft-on for a 65+ mph attempt. No rearsets, just get into 5th & use the passenger pegs.

One time I did have a Buick GNX chasing me, after I saw how determined he was to follow me closely, I pulled-over & let him by. A bigger target for a PD unit than me...

Hit 145 once, never over 135 after that, and then just "there and back" never over 125 steady and holding. After 135 or so things start getting wierd on a Vmax, it simply doesn't have the aerodynamcis for it. i done every thing on the "list" to make one handle righ too, except for welding braces in around the rear subframe/swingarm area....

Had a V65 spit me off ar 140 once and learned my lesson, there are better bikes if you wanna go top end..

On that note I hit 175 on a busa a while back, and wasn't in the least scared by it...like a really fast sofa

I've seen 145 . But When i'm hauling ass. I don't look at the speedo or tach much.
i'm to busy looking down the road.
the hair on the back of my neck tells me when i'm going fast enough.

I've seen 140 on both the 89 and the 94. The 94 was slightly struggling for anything more.
The 89 was ready to go higher but the road was running out into a highway of cross traffic...

Mine seemed to top out at 130mph at around 8500k seems like it should go more, i think the carbs need to be tuned for my new elevation 2k ft, but work at 3100 ft so its always changing here. Any ideas on how to tune my carbs for best performance? jet kits? thanks Dont mean to jack the thread, so please point me in the direction of proper thread if need be ;)

Mines an 85, I was runnin with no wind screen in December and made 135mph with more plenty more to go but my eyes started watering from the cold so bad I had to bring her down... You lay out a bike in the desert at that speed and they won't find anything unless it catches fire!

Since then I did solid motor mounts,frame braces, steering stabilizer,clip-ons,rearsets and in the next couple weeks I'll be cross bracing the rear of the frame,bracing the swing arm, and switching to a digital speedo capable of reading higher than 150.

Hoping for high marks when my motor goes back in.

My 2002 goes 95, then starts a nice death wobble :bang head:..
My 1998 would hit ~110 before the wobble...:bang head:
My 1994 would hit ~120 before the wobble would start :bang head:.

1100 Vstar Silverado would be done at 105ish.
Hayabusa just a hair north of 180 indicated with my fat ass on it.
Seca 750 just north of 130.
Seca 650 turbo with full faring would stop at 120ish.

with my stock carbs fifth gear couldnt go more from 8700 rpm. at 8700 had 236 km (about 144 miles). with my fcr's now broke the 8700 rpm and and 9500-9600 have 266-267 km/h (166 miles/h) with 17 rear wheel.i can go further than 9600 rpm but dont do it cause i want my engine to be safe.. as i am building my bike from the start i will have a venture pumpkin installed and i may reach 280 km/h (173 miles/h)

My 2002 goes 95, then starts a nice death wobble :bang head:..
My 1998 would hit ~110 before the wobble...:bang head:
My 1994 would hit ~120 before the wobble would start :bang head:.

1100 Vstar Silverado would be done at 105ish.
Hayabusa just a hair north of 180 indicated with my fat ass on it.
Seca 750 just north of 130.
Seca 650 turbo with full faring would stop at 120ish.

Hey Bill, have you ever thought about checking your steering head bearing for proper tightness? Check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-CmACI5xQ

I had a low speed wobble and this fixed it.

Back