Carb Synchronizing - General Comment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Do y'all appreciate the ease of carb syncing on our V-Max? I certainly do. Everything is so quick and accessible!

My first carb sync was on a 1981 Honda CB900F. I followed the manual...
Step 1: Loosen the rear fender and move back
Step 2: Loosen battery box and move back
Step 3: Remove air box

How ridiculous. Working from the rear fender to the carbs! :confused2:

It's so easy, I can do it! I couldn't believe how simple it was the first time I synced mine.

Yep, I appreciate it on all carb work I do on the Vmax.

My ZX9R (that I just sold), was a pain. You had to remove the gas tank (and if you had a full 5 gallons in it, it would be a wiggly, wobbly, pain in the ass to pull off and not dent or scratch it as the fuel was sloshing around inside).

And before removing the tank, you had to disconnect some bodywork and also the fuel level sensor, the fuel line, and some vent hoses. Real pain in the ass.

Once disconnected, you had to setup a 'fuel bowl' to feed the engine while you were adjusting. I made a small one and used to hang it from a ladder in my garage while I was tuning. Had to do all this stuff just to adjust idle mix screws also. But with those, you also had to remove the airbox.

So, Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.........
I totally appreciated the Vmax arrangement!

Vinnie

Yep. I would like to think that the Yamaha engineers did that on purpose.

What are you guys using for a carb sync tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its intuitive and easy, Almost like it should be more of a pain. I believe many manufacturers make things a nuisance to promote use of service departments but this ome is very straight forward.

When I did my 2000 Triumph Sprint ST I had to pull the side fairings and tank, not bad but first time I had to replace the tank it would NOT go back on for anything, holes were way off and I could not grasp why. No amount of pushing, pulling or tweaking would get it even close. I called a former Triumph tech I ran into at a Kawasaki shop and after he was done heckling me he had me throw it in the refrigerator for several hours. It went back on with minimal pushing. It was an odd step for such a well made bike but it had to done this way each tome regardless of fuel level. I dreaded valve adj or TB synch for this reason.

Ill take the Max any day when its time to do maintenance.

Carbtune Pro 4 column, love it. I got it on Ebay for a lick over $100 but I know guys here got it straight from the manufacturer with good results. Money well spent.

Im an anolog whore so I have not handled one yet but I have heard the Digi Snyc sold by a vendor on this forum is an amazing piece of equipment.

I also use the Morgan Carbtune II. Ordered direct from the UK. Came pretty quick. Price was around $100

The Digi Sync looks interesting. If I were in the market for a synch tool, I'd probably try one out. Always good to support forum vendors!

I also use the Morgan Carbtune II. Ordered direct from the UK. Came pretty quick. Price was around $100

The Digi Sync looks interesting. If I were in the market for a synch tool, I'd probably try one out. Always good to support forum vendors![/QQUOTE

X2.
I have done business with 4 forum vendors with great results. I dont think bad vendors even get through the front door here. My next gauge probably will be Digi Sync as I do anticipate the need for 6 pot in the future.

Just bought a DigiSync tool, but haven't used it yet. Looks like a great quality tool.

Was using a Motion Pro Syncpro and hated that thing - piece of crap.

Mike

Haha, I looked at the motion pro and figured that wasn't any good. I did also look at the Morgan carbtune, and really like it and should be a purchase I make soon. I found that my mechanic was cheaper at the time of looking, but if doing the sync isn't that bad I'll pick one up. I guess it's a good tool to have for diagnosis when needed

Four vacuum gauges from Princess Auto, some windshield washer tubing, and some brass machine screws for restrictors(to keep the needles from bouncing).
I think about 50 bucks to make. Works like a charm.
I've asked before, but never got an answer......
You are trying to measure air vacuum.
What could be more straightforward than using simple vacuum gauges?
Why throw big bucks on devices with rods, mercury, colored liquids that leak or are sucked in the engine, etc.etc.
Is SIMPLE not the best resort:ummm:
Please explain why not, great ones!
Cheers!

Attachments

• vacuum@1500 rpm.jpg
    vacuum@1500 rpm.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 56
Haha, I looked at the motion pro and figured that wasn't any good. I did also look at the Morgan carbtune, and really like it and should be a purchase I make soon. I found that my mechanic was cheaper at the time of looking, but if doing the sync isn't that bad I'll pick one up. I guess it's a good tool to have for diagnosis when needed

I almost bought the Motion pro on ebay but found many overwhelmingly negative reviews. When I asked here I was told about the Morgan Carbtune and got it. Im not sure you can do better for the $, it really is great. You can have your carbs synchronized within 10 minutes and after you use it a couple times it's paid for itself.

If you do your own maintenance and own anything with multiple carbs/TBs this is more of a must have. I like that rock solid idle and crisp throttle you only get when the carbs are within a gnats queef of each other.

Four vacuum gauges from Princess Auto, some windshield washer tubing, and some brass machine screws for restrictors(to keep the needles from bouncing).
I think about 50 bucks to make. Works like a charm.
I've asked before, but never got an answer......
You are trying to measure air vacuum.
What could be more straightforward than using simple vacuum gauges?
Why throw big bucks on devices with rods, mercury, colored liquids that leak or are sucked in the engine, etc.etc.
Is SIMPLE not the best resort:ummm:
Please explain why not, great ones!
Cheers!
Because your #3 hose is too tight and that be your reason for being just under 10 when the other 3 are over 10-:rofl_200:

Back