Carb Synchronizing - General Comment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the morgan is sensitive enough to set a/f mixture screws.
I used mercury and it wasn't, neither were the motion pro blue bubbles.

Four vacuum gauges from Princess Auto, some windshield washer tubing, and some brass machine screws for restrictors(to keep the needles from bouncing).
I think about 50 bucks to make. Works like a charm.
I've asked before, but never got an answer......
You are trying to measure air vacuum.
What could be more straightforward than using simple vacuum gauges?
Why throw big bucks on devices with rods, mercury, colored liquids that leak or are sucked in the engine, etc.etc.
Is SIMPLE not the best resort:ummm:
Please explain why not, great ones!
Cheers!

Simple is good, just not everyone is able to craft their own devices, and so buying is easier.:worthy:

What are you guys using for a carb sync tool?
Four vacuum gauges from Princess Auto, some windshield washer tubing, and some brass machine screws for restrictors(to keep the needles from bouncing).
Why throw big bucks on devices with rods, mercury, colored liquids that leak or are sucked in the engine, etc.etc.
Cheers!

That's a pretty good point. I'd use your gauge.

I had an older set like that but when I put all the gauges to a single source I found they were not exactly consistent with each other but if you have quality accurate gauges it should work just fine. I like columns but it just comes down to personal preference as either style works fine.

I still have a unisyn in my toolbox but it seems useless outside the world of air cooled WVs.

What are you guys using for a carb sync tool?
Cheers!
You are such an old school fanatic Miles, lol. Think we might be related? I'd not hesitate to make up a set like this. A Yamaha mechanic I worked with that had to have every tool from them possible, forked over a few hundred for this setup. I borrowed it once, and it was useless without restrictors. But you've got that covered. I think at least one of these vacuum gauges was or is in every old mechanics tool box. Mine could also do a low pressure fuel pump test.

You are such an old school fanatic Miles, lol. Think we might be related? I'd not hesitate to make up a set like this. A Yamaha mechanic I worked with that had to have every tool from them possible, forked over a few hundred for this setup. I borrowed it once, and it was useless without restrictors. But you've got that covered. I think at least one of these vacuum gauges was or is in every old mechanics tool box. Mine could also do a low pressure fuel pump test.

"Old school"describes me to a tee, Steve. Still using my 8 yr.old fliphone (maybe twice a month) No Facebook, no Twitter. Love my vinyl records, still can't figure out how to change the clock time in my new car (2003 Protege')
My dream car has always been a '68 Volks convertible. Air-cooled engine that you can change yourself in a couple hours, no enviromental equipment, no computers, no disc brakes, no idiot lights , and a simple carb. - you get the picture)
Yup, the brass screws make perfect restrictors. So good in fact, that the pressure in the gauges take 5 or 10 seconds to bleed off, after the engine is shut off
Cheers!

I'm using an olddddddddd Motion Pro mercury sticks model. But I'm thinking of getting a DigiSync someday.

Nothing wrong with my old mercury sticks (they're a classic now, as you can no longer get anything like this with mercury), but I like how the new Digi unit gives you really steady digital readings. And can't get air bubbles in it to mess up your readings.

With the mercury sticks, sometimes you have to disconnect and blow into the tubes to get the air bubbles out, then reconnect and start the motor again. Happens if you rev too much while syncing.

Andddd, I know you're really not supposed to mess around with mercury too much (before someone tells me to keep my mouth away from it and not be blowing into tubes of mercury).
*I keep the thing in the garage and never bring it into the house. It also has built in plugs to keep the tubes sealed when not in use to avoid mercury vapors from accumulating around the tool and in the garage.

Either way, I will retire it someday and get some newer/safer gadget.

Vinnie

"Old school"describes me to a tee, Steve. Still using my 8 yr.old fliphone (maybe twice a month) No Facebook, no Twitter. Love my vinyl records, still can't figure out how to change the clock time in my new car (2003 Protege')
My dream car has always been a '68 Volks convertible. Air-cooled engine that you can change yourself in a couple hours, no enviromental equipment, no computers, no disc brakes, no idiot lights , and a simple carb. - you get the picture)
Yup, the brass screws make perfect restrictors. So good in fact, that the pressure in the gauges take 5 or 10 seconds to bleed off, after the engine is shut off
Cheers!
What's a flip-phone:confused2:
http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2002_Mazda_Protege_ES_2.0L_4_Cyl./clock/set_clock

God luv ya, Blax. I'll copy down those directions, and see if I can get the time adjusted. Doesn't look too complicated, even for a technological fossil like me.
Damn Daylight Saving Hours. If it wasn't for that, I could set and forget it.
Cheers!
p.s. attached find pic of my latest phone. Works dandy!
Why do folks laugh when I use it?

Attachments

• My newest cell phone.jpg
    My newest cell phone.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 38
God luv ya, Blax. I'll copy down those directions, and see if I can get the time adjusted. Doesn't look too complicated, even for a technological fossil like me.
Cheers!

Miles, I'm surprised that your still not using this....lol

Attachments

• images (8).jpg
    images (8).jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 47
I use a motion pro. Havent had any problems but have never used anything else. I synced some carbs on a buddies bike yesterday. 03 katana. Canoftuna is what i call em. But that was a pain. Had to pull the tank. Them there was very little room to get the tiny rubber caps if the intakes to hook the hoses up. Made me thankfull for how easy my max is.

Cheers!

Miles, attach a decal saying :"CIA SatCom #4-007AX6"

Folks won't laugh anymore! :punk:

I broke down and ordered my Morgan carbtune pro and got it in the mail yesterday. I plan on syncing the carbs around mid day tomorrow. Any tips or suggestions from the forum would be great since this will be the first for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke down and ordered my Morgan carbtune pro and got it in the mail yesterday. I plan on syncing the carbs around mid day tomorrow. Any tips or suggestions from the forum would be great since this will be the first for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should help.

Cheers!

Miles, never throw that phone away, if it stops working. The Smithsonian will buy it from you.
biglaugh.gif

Latest posts

Back