Vmax vs Busa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radley

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an '85 Vmax that needs some serious TLC, and I'll do it, cuz the bike isn't worth much, but now much does one spend to keep this thing healthy enough to enjoy every summer?

Aside from the VMax, I want a Busa. Has anyone ridden one?

I'd like something for longer rides, comfort and range on gas tank...busa.
I want performance....busa
Reasonable insurance, State Farm best? from what I have read since it's a sport touring bike, not super sport.....

What do ya'll think of the Busa and having one parked in my garage (that doesn't exist) next to my 85 Maxx?

Rusty has one next to his Vmax. Progressive ins has been a lot cheaper than state Farm for me. I actually the old school '86 '87 gsxr 1100's. Still have 3 in the garage and one has plates that say "byebus". Another says "Hrlyhr".

Hey guys,

I have an '85 Vmax that needs some serious TLC, and I'll do it, cuz the bike isn't worth much, but now much does one spend to keep this thing healthy enough to enjoy every summer?

Aside from the VMax, I want a Busa. Has anyone ridden one?

I'd like something for longer rides, comfort and range on gas tank...busa.
I want performance....busa
Reasonable insurance, State Farm best? from what I have read since it's a sport touring bike, not super sport.....

What do ya'll think of the Busa and having one parked in my garage (that doesn't exist) next to my 85 Maxx?

Blasphemy. Should be against the law.:biglaugh:

I had a 2004 Busa...loved it. Mine had some heli-bars on it to raise the controls up 1" and it was perfect for comfort. Effortless low rpm highway cruising in 6th gear. I never realized how crappy and noisy my helmet is until I bought my Vmax. Mine had a slightly taller windscreen and I could tuck under the wind and it was so quiet. It's a pretty long and big bike, but you get used to throwing it around with your weight. I would totally get one again.

Insurance depends on a lot of things but State Farm might be pricier than say Dairyland Insurance.
If your looking for top speed sport touring then a busa would fit the bill but how about a FZ1 which leans into the sport side of sport touring or if your looking for a longer distance bike that is just a little more touring than sport you might look at a FJR.

I own a Busa and a Gen 1 VMax and a dual sport bike. No reason you cant have more than 1 bike.

I own a Busa and a Gen 1 VMax and a dual sport bike. No reason you cant have more than 1 bike.

The formula for how many bikes you need is as follows
Bikes=(N)+1
N is the number of motorcycles you currently own.

At least this is how it was explained to my wife...:biglaugh:

Agreed, you do the TLC because it is your bike and a special one at that, not because of its monetary worth.

Maybe he meant that by doing some TLC yourself instead of paying to have it done, the bike's personal value would increase?

Last edited:
My 85, well I've had it for 16 years. She needs some TLC, as she is nearly as old as myself. All hydraulics need replacing/cleaning/etc. 2nd gear is out. Front fork rebuild, etc. Torn seat. Oil change/filter. Sync Carbs. The bike isn't worth much on the market, but worth SO MUCH more to me. You all know, how many Vmax's are out there, much less an '85?

I can never sell it, because there really isn't much value, even with everything fixed up and hundreds more put into it. But I'll, for some reason, flip over the bill and do the work for me... how can I ever REALLY let this bike go? Let's get real, I can't and you all know why..

I like the N+1 philosophy. Gotta heal up my Vmax first, she's priority #1.

I can tell you this/ A busa will cost you over $1000 bucks a year to insure :damn angry:

Sounds like I'll wait. I've read that State Farm has been a lot cheaper for lots of Busa owners....based on my online research...but

For this year, it's time to properly rehab the '85. I'll try and get started today.

I have a 2001 R1 in my garage :D
Ive never ridden a Busa but did get my ass stomped by one before :)

I have a 2001 R1 in my garage :D
Ive never ridden a Busa but did get my ass stomped by one before :)

LOL, that's funny! I bet you did though, thanks for the confession! I think a Busa would be a perfect compliment to the first-yr Maxx.... maybe next yr..

*also, they seem to hold their value quite well, anyone know why?*

LOL, that's funny! I bet you did though, thanks for the confession! I think a Busa would be a perfect compliment to the first-yr Maxx.... maybe next yr..

*also, they seem to hold their value quite well, anyone know why?*
Because the US has regulated HP on motorcycles and that one had the most stock.

I have a gen1 1500 cc vmax and a 2006 zx14 and I love the zx14 you sit more upright on the zx than you do on the busa so for long trips I like the zx but you I also have corbin hard bags for it and a corbin seat with passanger back rest not sure if you can do that on a busa.

I have a 1999 hayabusa and two Vmax's-two different animals.

Wow!

1999 Busa...unrestricted year from what I remember.. Cool guys thanks for the input..

I have seen a Busa with Corbin hard bags, looks sweet but not cheap..

One member on here mentioned a 1" riser or something, making the Busa more comfy for longer rides...I dont know much about it all.

Is the ZX14 considered super sport bike? = insurance much more..?

I know the Busa ain't cheap either though.... I do know this though, my 85 Vmax isn't comfy for long rides...my back KILLS!!

Back