Spark Plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpick77

Reaction score
Changed my 10 year old plugs today. 4600 miles and they don't look tooooooo bad... Lol
70a3386c1f42b10486dc08a0873515a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I've owned it for 2 years now. And about 1400 miles. Life, kids, and work limit my saddle time. And all this d%?# rain here lately!!

4600 miles in 10 years??
Sounds like last summer for me.. :biglaugh:

My Triumph got 5 years/70k miles before changing them and they looked good when they came out. My car was 12 before the PO bothered to replace timing belts and plugs for the first time. Nothing is harder on plugs than carbs or worn out engines but a properly tuned healthy engine should keep plugs for many years/miles. I'm not sure on the vmax knowing how critical tuning is to their ability to run properly compared to many other vehicles.

You know... I've been riding on the street since I was 15 years old. I started out on a 1976 Suzuki GT380 "2-stroke" that I still have, then a $300 1979 KZ1000st, then a Yamaha Seca II, then a new '96 FZR600 "almost killed myself from a tank-slapping high-side at around 85MPH"
worthy00.gif
, then a brand spanking new 2000 R6. After marriage, a move overseas for a while, and Kids, I finally got my MAX. I would have to say after all the miles and years of riding and being with or without a bike, whether it be 1 mile or 100,000 miles I'm grateful in having a chance to ride and there is ALWAYS a smile on my face.:eusa_dance: Some of us are just born to live on two wheels:punk:

You know... I've been riding on the street since I was 15 years old. I started out on a 1976 Suzuki GT380 "2-stroke" that I still have, then a $300 1979 KZ1000st, then a Yamaha Seca II, then a new '96 FZR600 "almost killed myself from a tank-slapping high-side at around 85MPH"
worthy00.gif
, then a brand spanking new 2000 R6. After marriage, a move overseas for a while, and Kids, I finally got my MAX. I would have to say after all the miles and years of riding and being with or without a bike, whether it be 1 mile or 100,000 miles I'm grateful in having a chance to ride and there is ALWAYS a smile on my face.:eusa_dance: Some of us are just born to live on two wheels:punk:

+1

Yamaha Seca II was the first bike I owned - back in the late 90's - sweet ride for a first bike...

1994 Yellow Seca II
Great bike! Sounded great with the 4 into 1 Vance and Hines

Only issue I can see with leaving plugs in aluminum heads that many years is you might end up galling the threads when extracting them. And then you're into some fun.
Predecessor to the Seca II was the XJ900RL or Seca 900. I enjoy my second bought new in high school, 1984 XJ750RL. I remember changing my plugs a year after the move from leaded fuel to unleaded. Plugs burnt nice and tan with leaded, then moved leaner and closer to bone white with unleaded.

Anyone have any input or thoughts on running 110 octane through the max? I usually use it for winter storage. We have a 110 pump just down the road from my house.

Reason???

A lot of people think that a higher octane gas will have more "power" in it, and so want to burn it. Actually a higher octane fuel burns SLOWER....to resist detonation. Since it will burn slower....you will effectively get less power out of it. So run the minimum octane that you can without hearing detonation.

The Vmax was designed to run on 87 octane.....so 90% of the people on this forum all agree, run 87.

Understand... I do notice that when running, it does idle and have a little better throttle response. As we all know today the gasoline we get is crap. In high school I was a full service attendant at a gas station. Today's gas does not smell like the old stuff.

Understand... I do notice that when running, it does idle and have a little better throttle response. As we all know today the gasoline we get is crap. In high school I was a full service attendant at a gas station. Today's gas does not smell like the old stuff.

I completely understand, one of my first jobs was working at a full service gas station. Yep, the stuff today doesnt even compare.

Here is an example to show how particular the Vmax is. I'm currently running the ignitech ignition system (which has programmable timing), and had 87 octane fuel in the tank. The bike was at the dyno and I decided to play. I increased the timing 2-3 degrees across the board....and picked up almost 2 hp. I increased the timing to 5 degrees across the board...and LOST 4 hp.

Little things mean a lot to a Vmax.

OK to use that 110 octane for winter storage, and get less separation during the OFF months than normal 10% E schitt......provided the 110 octane is non-E fuel, and you can not get any non-E fuel with a lesser octane rating.

Around here, most non-E pumps have a 91-93 octane rating shown on their stickers. I fill up my Vmaxes with it on occasion, and can actually hear a difference in how they idle too...the non-E bringing back much more of the loping idle qualities on my 85 that I remember from back when it was a much newer bike.

We also have a station here that offers ethanol free 87. At least that's what they say.

OK to use that 110 octane for winter storage, and get less separation during the OFF months than normal 10% E schitt......provided the 110 octane is non-E fuel, and you can not get any non-E fuel with a lesser octane rating.

Around here, most non-E pumps have a 91-93 octane rating shown on their stickers. I fill up my Vmaxes with it on occasion, and can actually hear a difference in how they idle too...the non-E bringing back much more of the loping idle qualities on my 85 that I remember from back when it was a much newer bike.

Same here mixed the 110 with 91 and after a while the idle lope came back.

Latest posts

Back