shifter lever

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gen 1 Thx, what am I looking for ? It seem to not be fully in gauging:ummm: what is the base line of what I am looking for ?

Gen 1 Thx, what am I looking for ? It seem to not be fully in gauging:ummm: what is the base line of what I am looking for ?
Different strokes for---I loosen the 2- 10mm nuts then turn the rod until it gets tight and then turn opposite direction for a little slack and play.Then retighten the 2 10mm nuts.

Not sure what you mean by engaging? Adjusting the linkage just changes the pedal height.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean by engaging? Adjusting the linkage just changes the pedal height.
Exactly.
Moving the shift lever has Nothing to do with how well the clutch engages when you pull in the clutch lever, our clutch is Hydraulic and doesn't have any way to adjust it.
Turning the Shift lever linkage up or down just moves it up or down.

Attachments

• Vmax-shift-lever-assembly.jpg
    Vmax-shift-lever-assembly.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
If i remember right the manual says the shift rod length is 30-34mm. That doesn't give much adjustment. If you get outside of that range the lever angle may make if it more (or less) difficult to shift. You can get more by pulling the assembly off and adjusting at the shifter itself. I had to do this due to new bigger boots.

Dale #2592

Thx I adjusted it, changed oil n filter to 20-50, turned idle up some, new tires would bark between shifts(think idle was too low). shifting is noisey, compared to my kz650.

Thx I adjusted it, changed oil n filter to 20-50, turned idle up some, new tires would bark between shifts(think idle was too low). shifting is noisey, compared to my kz650.
Try some Shell Rotella T 15W40 on your next oil change.
I've been using it for years and it works great for our high HP/Torque Vmax and shifts are smoother than with most other oils.

thx I bought it with synthetic in it, then swapped in rotella, the dealership that did the tires said they only use 20-50 because it is so hot in Texas. so this morning I put in castrol semi synthetic 20-50. two dealerships and a friend test rode bike and said nothing is wrong with shifter. it seems to me like clutch may not be fully dis-engauging or something . of course I am the only one noticing this

I used Rotella T 15W40 when I lived in NC and rode in temps up to about 105 F and it worked fine.
But even if I used 20W50, I'd stick with a Heavy Duty Non-synthetic oil.

thx I bought it with synthetic in it, then swapped in rotella, the dealership that did the tires said they only use 20-50 because it is so hot in Texas. so this morning I put in castrol semi synthetic 20-50. two dealerships and a friend test rode bike and said nothing is wrong with shifter. it seems to me like clutch may not be fully dis-engauging or something . of course I am the only one noticing this

Maybe you are not moving the lever with your foot as much as you think you are and you are just catching the next gear barely.

If i remember right the manual says the shift rod length is 30-34mm. That doesn't give much adjustment. If you get outside of that range the lever angle may make if it more (or less) difficult to shift. You can get more by pulling the assembly off and adjusting at the shifter itself. I had to do this due to new bigger boots.

Dale #2592
With my older boots I had the shift lever a 1/2" (or slightly less) below horizontal, I picked up some new boots that are for touring/ adventure touring and the toe is much thicker so I will probably move it up some. I'm running Rotella 15w40 oil as well.

the clutch lever pulls all the way to handle bar grip, is it supposed to be like that ? or more like brake lever ? Thx I will try to put more punch into my shifts switched to sneakers to get a better feel.

3 months of 120 degrees----rotella 15w/40 and a worley radiator. Fan button installed and I never get over 1/2 on the temp gauge.

Latest posts

Back