This is hilarious and so stupid

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
a guy on a tech list asks about platinum spark pugs or a superior plug than the regular stock ones, here are the answers he got:

"Anyone tried platinum,if offered,what brand.. where can I get
Iridium? plug part # please...Tell me about em.Better?Thanx Randy"

1- first answer "Randy they last longer, cost more, but something to consider. Make sure
you use anti-seize on threads. I have seen a couple bikes that this
wasn't done. Plugs had been in so long guy didn't remember when they
were changed. Threads were ruined and head had to be fixed. When you
have dissimilar metals, always use anti-seize. SS, when using bolts and
nuts if you don't, never get them apart".THIS IS TRUE FOR ANY SPARK PLUG installed on aluminum heads and has nothing to do with what kind of plug!
My comment:
this has nothing to do with the the question asked, using anti-seize is good for all spark plugs to protect the threads on the motor head

2- answer:"don't know didly about how a platinum plug performs but i have seen a bunch of em come apart inside motors with aluminum heads at work over the years..."
My answer: this is because the son of the B that installed the spark plugs
tightened them too much and has nothing to do with the original question, this is more like a house wife answering the question:)

3- answer:"dear sir, this tip was worth joining the board. drive safe..." WOW I'll tell all my neighbors to join immediately!

My comments: What a bunch of crap and stupidity, no one answered the first guys question, he probably thinks that if he uses Iridium plugs they will break and destroy his motor.
the straight answer to the original question is:

YES you can use iridium plugs, they cost more, last longer and demand less power to produce a spark.
I have used them since I bought the bike new and never had any problem at all!!!
________
Volvo D5 engine

Last edited:
Ibrahim, I"ve used both. No difference in power, torque or mileage. The only difference I see is that they're less likely to foul. I use platinums, about $1.50 a piece.

What platinum are you using for $1.50 ? ( brand & part #) Man Iridium is $6.50 each, I guess that is why they make the bike feel smooth:)

maleko89 said:
Ibrahim, I"ve used both. No difference in power, torque or mileage. The only difference I see is that they're less likely to foul. I use platinums, about $1.50 a piece.
________
silversurfer vaporizer

Last edited:
I usually get them at Advance or O'Reilly's. It's cheaper yet if you only put two in. :)

Just my opinion but the only benefit in iridium or platinum is longer life. They do last longer under ideal conditions.
Spark is spark though and a function of the gap and the voltage applied; not the type of metal used...

They may foul less because of how hot the little bitty tip runs.....

You definitely do not want to use iridium/platinum in any forced induction or nitrous application...or any application where detonation is likely...they will self destruct eventually because the small tips hold heat in a more concentrated area and cause the porcelain to break.........

Under normal use they are great if you want to spend the money....

Just my opinion though mixed with a lot of F/I experience....

Back