Another EFI project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished putting two wiring harnesses together that was pretty straight forward. Had to redo a few things and make some changes along the way. Trying to make this as plug and play as possible. One other thing I have added is a fast idle solenoid for warmup. Also wired in every sensor you can IAT, CLT, MAP with altitude compensation, EGO and of course a TPS. This should be a self-tuning system if it works properly.
Been spending the last few weeks figuring out the tuning program it has been a little mind boggling to say the least. Having trouble getting the ignition set up to recognize the input from the pickup on the bike. Does anyone know what type of pickup they use on the Vmax? Otherwise I may just have to plug into a coil for fuel control only. Theoretically if I can use the pickup then I should be able to do a lot of other things with the ECU, like control ignition, use the retard with nitrous, use a shift limiter and a launch limiter (that’s what I’m talking about).

I would say get with Dingy. He set up the Ignitech ECU.....and might be able to answer your questions. The Ignitech, actually has all of those capabilities, and might be able to run the EFI.....or yall might be able to meld the 2 systems. I will send his personal email a link to this thread.

Eric

hey thanks, i can just use the coil negative but I'm not sure how the ignition kill shifter or the dynatec lunch limiter will work with the microsquirt.

Still plugging away! Finished up the fast idle bracket, did some test fitting for the fuse and relay bracket that will sit under the pass seat along with the Bluetooth dongle.
Still learning about the software program and setting up the Bluetooth app. The app does some nice features along with being able to monitor everything it will data log and send a file online that can be downloaded into a log viewer program.
Here is a crazy idea, wanted to have the throttle bodies synchronized before I start tuning on the bike one less thing to figure out. So I cut a plate to bolt onto one of the intake manifolds blocked off the vboost hole then hooked it up to a vacuum pump. The trick was to do each one in order, using the MAP sensor and the tuning program I was able to adjust each one to within 0.2 kpa.
Right now have everything partially hooked up to the bike checking for leaks making sure the injectors are working. Having some issues with the fuel pump PWM not sure what is going on there maybe the tach signal. Just want to get as many bugs out of this thing before I do the operation. Can’t have my sled down in the middle of riding season.

Attachments

• IMAG0256 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0256 (Custom).jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0257 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0257 (Custom).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG0258 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0258 (Custom).jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0644 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0644 (Custom).JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0647 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0647 (Custom).JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0649 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0649 (Custom).JPG
    142 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0651 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0651 (Custom).JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0653 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0653 (Custom).JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0255 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0255 (Custom).jpg
    146 KB · Views: 89
If you know anybody that has a understanding of german, try Googling streetmax v max . Looks like they have some EFI units. Wish I knew german.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Not german but Dutch instead. The company belongs to Marcel and it's pretty close to me. They've been making those sets for sometime already.

Installation on bike complete, everything actually fit except for one little miscalculation. The front TB bracket where the throttle position sensor attaches was hitting the clamp on the rubber boot so had to turn the clamp sideways and nip off the part of the boot that comes out over the clamp. Was surprised that my ram air scoops fit over the fuel rails (everybody gets lucky once in a while).
Got the bike to start and idle okay, but had a problem with the ECU doing resets randomly that would make the motor do a little hiccup. Took a while to figure that one out checking grounds thought I might have had some interference from the coils being so close because the ECU sits where the old pump was. Finally was at the point where I would replace the battery and the problem went away.
Went out for a couple off test flights and got some data logs though the Bluetooth that works with my phone. Information overload with the GPS on I also get speed and acceleration data. Right now the bike seems to idle a little rich when warm and I have a lean spot at about 5k with light load. Once I get that a little closer will use the laptop on a ride to let it auto tune the ECU. No more that sounds about right.
Will update when I have a chance to go on some more rides. Eventually want to tweak the fuel map so it will get a bit more fuel right when the v-boast opens should put some extra kick with that. Once everything is going good will get the nitrous set up will be nice to use a dry system and let the ECU do the fuel increase. Not sure if I want to change the fogger set up to a single line because I don’t need one for fuel but the other option is using the ECU to control the nitrous solenoids I could make it a two stage.
My winter project is to get the other prototype fuel injection system built and set up. If anyone has or knows someone with a dead set of carbs. I am looking for the throttle shafts and butterflies along with all the linkage and brackets.

Attachments

• IMAG0318 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0318 (Custom).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0313 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0313 (Custom).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0310 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0310 (Custom).jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0314 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0314 (Custom).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0679 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0679 (Custom).JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0306 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0306 (Custom).jpg
    182 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0304 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0304 (Custom).jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0665 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0665 (Custom).JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0658 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0658 (Custom).JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 70
That is a good looking system. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

No pic's this time. haven't had as much time to work on this but making progress getting a good fuel map set up. Then can make adjustments to the startup and warmup setting. Had to chase down some gremlins one was with a TPS sensor then swapped out the narrow band O2 sensor for a wide band to get some better reading. will also change out the fuel pump the one I used is about 3 times bigger then I need and draws to many amps.
most of the time just trying to understand the tuning software. the few test rides so far the bike makes awesome wide open power its the best its ever ran with the ram-air setup. will try to get the machine on a dyno when its setup to do final tune and get some numbers probably in the spring (weather starting to get crappy in the northwest).
I also have a doner set of carbs to cannibalize so I can put the other EFI kit together to sell, no plans to make any more then the two. maybe someone else has the time and money to take it on

Latest posts

Back