The chain drive project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
I have thought about this several times but really had no real desire to pull apart my own bikes for the sake of a chain. But that has now changed a little as a situation has arisen where I basically have some parts at my disposal to play around with.
I'll document as I go for interests sake, It will be no hack job with shitty welded parts but properly machined to work right the first time with easy to remove front and rear sprockets.
Got some parts on the way and we'll be into it...

Sweet, I'll be watching as well.
Good Luck with this project, I can't wait to see the progress !!!

Might as well post pics of what I have seen done (can email you the full size images if desired).

Attachments

• External Chain Conversion Pic 1.jpg
    External Chain Conversion Pic 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 244
  • External Chain Conversion Pic 2.jpg
    External Chain Conversion Pic 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 214
  • External Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    External Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 216
  • EFI Tank and Pump - Chaindrive 2.jpg
    EFI Tank and Pump - Chaindrive 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Custom Trans.jpg
    Custom Trans.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Ed W. Tractor Engine Pre-Paint 4.jpg
    Ed W. Tractor Engine Pre-Paint 4.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Middle Gear.JPG
    Middle Gear.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Middle Gear w-Cover.JPG
    Middle Gear w-Cover.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 215
  • temp 008.jpg
    temp 008.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 223
  • Chain Drive.jpg
    Chain Drive.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 257
  • temp 018.jpg
    temp 018.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 230
  • V-Max1.jpg
    V-Max1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Chain Drive FZR Conversion.jpg
    Chain Drive FZR Conversion.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Chain Drive 0 Wide Conversion.jpg
    Chain Drive 0 Wide Conversion.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 1570 Chain Drive 2.jpg
    1570 Chain Drive 2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 1570 Chain Drive 1.jpg
    1570 Chain Drive 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 244
  • P1014730.jpg
    P1014730.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 257
  • temp 017.jpg
    temp 017.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 204
Oh snap!!!! I would be interested! May have to begin collecting extra engine parts.

Well, if this gen 2 engine I am taking apart right now is junked out we may consider doing a chain drive on it too! I did look at the rear setup in some detail and think I can do an extended version of one if a customer wanted it. I just don't have a core to use!

I pulled the junked engine out of the bike that our apprentice bought and split the cases.
Well, shit! The sump looked like a hand grenade had detonated and all the shrapnel ended up in it.
The damage has gone into the water jackets and obviously it really is toast which is fine by me as I'll use it as my first test piece to mill the cases and see how the sprocket sits
The trans is perfect and I already have a design in mind to make the sprocket set-up.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
A little JB Weld and you should be good to go! I'm sure you will design/fabricate one hell of a sweet chain-drive setup!

Got some engine cases from fleabay for $30:punk: already here now and a complete lower engine from a Venture with only 3 K on it for about 250.
But I goofed, I didn't read the ad clearly and forgot my own research as it's the later Venture motor, however I don't think all is lost as I'm pretty sure bits will swap out. I have a plan to use the crank, pistons and liners out of it into the Vmax cases I bought which should build me the chain drive motor so I can swap out my own unmolested current engine which is fine.

I got some of the bits already made for the project and I'll have a sprocket/drive ready in the next couple of days.

Here is where I'm at today, just got to do the internal splines.
This will be hardened when I have finished machining it.

Attachments

• 006 (Large) (2).jpg
    006 (Large) (2).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 207
Looks good so far. BUT, looks like you had too make a flange and could have attached the sprocket with a spline to make it replaceable?

Looks good so far. BUT, looks like you had too make a flange and could have attached the sprocket with a spline to make it replaceable?

That's optional, obviously it's no big deal for me to replace what I have made easily and that's why I made it as such.
If they were made for sale then there's two options but the extra cost for option two doesn't really become cost effective until about the 3rd time it is replaced.
A third option is to use option one and then have us put a new sprocket onto the original core later on which is doable.

In any of the situations it all comes apart without splitting the cases again.

Not having to split the case is a great option! Being able to get an off the shelf sprocket would have been ideal but far from a requirement.

Did a test cut on the dud case to check how much milling of the case I need.
It's somewhat less than I originally thought so this should be less invasive than some of the others I've looked at so far.

Attachments

• 019 (Large).jpg
    019 (Large).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 212
Got the other case half done,

Attachments

• 006 (Large).jpg
    006 (Large).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 193
Back