Exhaust leak, No top end power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ameer Baddar

Reaction score
I was working on my exhaust and removed the old gaskets hoping to do a cleaner job but i havent found gaskets yet so i installed the exhaust can back but now obviously there is a leak at all four pipes where they connect to each other. the bike seemed to run fine with a little power loss at low end. now i've installed new clamps to make the pipes fit together better but there's still a small leak, low end is way better but top end is just a huge flat spot and i cant feel the vboost anymore, at full throttle the bike doesnt accelerate and it doesnt go faster than 85mph. will installing new gaskets fix this as i think it's running leaner due to more air coming out of the exhaust?

Gasket Silencers.jpg
Don't know what it would take to get to Cairo but here is the part number from Boats.net. These are the one for a 91.

I wouldnt run it too long without gaskets. Ive always been told that it can warp valves.

i'm running the stock exhaust, the motorcycle started losing top end gradually so i'm guessing spark plugs got fouled? it's still got the kick at lower RPMs and midrange is sometimes fine but when i get near to 6 or 7k rpms it just wont accelerate. i guess i'll have to find a way to find those gaskets or have someone custom build them for me.

forgot to mention that it sometimes misfires and idle is a bit rough, going to change the plugs tomorrow and see if it solves the problem. Traumahawk the pipes fit together with the clamps i installed, the exhaust leak is really minor so i dont think it may harm my valves, i ran my 600f4i with a straight pipe for a year with no problem.

OK. ...that makes sense.....I didn't know how bad it was.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I have done a lot of 1/4 mile drag racing with open headers and it does burn the valves. Just note that this is constant wide open throttle though.

a new set of spark plugs solved the problem, it's better than ever now from low end all the way to top end. thanks everyone who tried to help.

By the way sometimes a piece of aluminum tape can work wonders for a temporary fix on header connections

Pretty sure open header won't hurt valves. Running NO header will. I ran my bandit with an open meg forever.

I ran my 600f4i with open headers for a year with no problems rather than losing alot of low end power, i ran the vmax with open headers and plugs went bad 2 days later, i think it gets too lean or rich i'm not sure.

Latest posts

Back