carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djvmax07

Reaction score
I have full voo doo exhaust morleys jet kit. when i fire the bike up im smelling gas and or alot of exhaust fumes. what should I check? the a/f are 3 turns out and bike runs strong just hate the strong gas smell..

thanks

Will check on needles, what should the needles be set at? I have mikuni 157.5 mains.

2.5 turns will try that tomorrow. and check needles, turn the a/f to the right until seated and then back off 2.5 turns? A turn is full rotation of the screwdriver?

thanks for all the info...

If you have a stage 1 kit with tapered needles and you are using mikuni 157.5
which are mikuni jets then the needkes you are using are meant to be used on the main jets in the kit. If i remember correctly when i used kits with tapered needles they would not seat into stock mikuni jets and "bleed". This is why they used main jets in their kits to compensate and match the tapered needle ends.
If you take a stock mikuni jet with a needle from a jet kit and insert it you will see and feel that it has a little "play".
Hope that helps.

If your running 157.5 jets.....and needles on the 3rd or 4th clip.....your running way too rich. I'm at 1100 feet.....and I got the best hp. ..dyno tuned.....with 150 mains....and needles (stage 1's) first clip from the blunt end.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I'm at 730 feet. should I changed the mains to 150? I used morleys jet kit and the lowest main in the kit is 155 would that work should I go ahead and get the 150's?

thanks for all the info guys

I would get the 150s. ....and possibly 152s just to have on hand. But the 150s should do it.

I'm higher up (3500') and I came all the way down from DJ170 jets and needles on 2nd notch from blunt end and it was literally drowning itself from 4k - 5.5k. This setup was according to the DJ jet kit instruction page.

The MK150s and my stage 1 needles on the leanest notch and it's still rich up here. After the Sturgis rally ends I'll be out on the road to see how the 145 and 147.5 jets work. I dont mind it a touch lean as my touring often gets me well over 6000'.

I have to thank Eric for all the guidance in setting these carbs up, they do like to be leaner than I would have assumed.

Try the stock 152.5 mains. Stage 7 needles?

Dale
Yep....it should be the stage 7 needles.....that's what Sean uses in his kit. I would also have the needles 2-3 clip from the blunt end. Try it in the 3rd clip first....and if it runs OK. .. then move it to the 2nd clip. A vmax really likes to run lean. Asher C made his best hp. ..126....with 150s and the needles at 2.5 from the blunt end. He is between 600 and 700 elevation.

Was looking at the morleys kit today the lowest jet I have is 155. guess i will with sean and get some 150's. what size is stock?

never mind I see that stock mains are 152.5. think I will change back to 152.5 and check the clip on the needles. thanks guys

Latest posts

Back