Just picked up my 85 max!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Just picked up the ol beast. The guy who owned it was definetly familiar with the max and kept it in very very good shape considering the year. No wobble anywhere in the steering and the forks and whatnot are stock/original!

Had a few questions for the gang.

1. The starter is the original 2 brush. The previous owner installed a new battery and tender a year ago and told me the bike cannot sit more than 2 days without being on the tender. Is this normal?

2. The bike runs strong and came with a supertrapp exhaust and tune to the carbs. It pulls like a 14 year old reading a playboy up until about 7-8K and then seems to hesitate in the slightest way and rebounds and pulls until redline. It does not seem to do that everytime....could it be the vboost sensor or mechanism sticking? if so how do i correct/fix this?

3. The owner keeps 14lbs of air in the front forks. Is that correct?

Thanks gang for all the help...I will post some more pics soon.

Abe

Welcome!

Sounds like a bobble when it goes from the needles to the mains. Space the needles back one. Would be nice to know what "tune" the carbs have as stock is great with slip-ons.

The battery shouldn't go dead in 2 days... I would check out the electrical forum here for more info on these. The crimp fix, R&R replacements and changing out the 2 brush for a 4 brush motor. (not cheap)

I would get rid of the flooded cell and go with a good AGM battery like Odyssey or Panasonic.

Check out the VMF links page for GREAT info.

Cheers,
Chris

FYI: you're about 2.5 hours East of me.

Welcome!

Sounds like a bobble when it goes from the needles to the mains. Space the needles back one. Would be nice to know what "tune" the carbs have as stock is great with slip-ons.

The battery shouldn't go dead in 2 days... I would check out the electrical forum here for more info on these. The crimp fix, R&R replacements and changing out the 2 brush for a 4 brush motor. (not cheap)

I would get rid of the flooded cell and go with a good AGM battery like Odyssey or Panasonic.

Check out the VMF links page for GREAT info.

Cheers,
Chris

FYI: you're about 2.5 hours East of me.

We should meet up one day before it gets too cold...

How do I adjust the booble from the needle to the main? Sorry this is all new to me.

I would replace the stock Yuasa or any liquid cell battery in there and get a maintenance free gel battery.

14 psi in stock forks is fine.

For a cut out that high up in rpm band I would check sync, float level, float bowl vents, ignition wires, plugs. Carb boots too. Vboost adjustment and sync would be good to check too.

We are now running the large battery from Diehard in an AGM version. So much bigger battery and even more power then the other AGMs that direct fit the box. It's a stocking battery at any sears auto center.

Sean

We are now running the large battery from Diehard in an AGM version. So much bigger battery and even more power then the other AGMs that direct fit the box. It's a stocking battery at any sears auto center.

Sean

Huh?

Is this a drop in then?:confused2:

I have an '02 and when I had the original battery it could sit for a few days at most. Replaced it with an Odyssey and now it can sit all winter and it'll fire right up like it was ran the day before. On an older bike I would definately do the simpler electrical "fixes" before anything else.

I usually run 10 psi in my forks so 14 shouldn't be a problem. Before you ride I would definately check tire and shock pressures as that seems to make a big difference in the wobble for me anyway. Odds are you will experience it at some point but the key is to hang on to the bars and not panic! :biglaugh:

I RUN 3 LBS. BECAUSE THATS MY LUCKY NUMBER !:punk: FORK TUBES ARE SLID UP AN INCH TO LOWER THE FRONT END . AND 33 LBS. OF AIR IN MY TIRE'S , OBVIOUSLY I'M VERY SUPERSTITIOUS ! :rofl_200:

:confused2::confused2:
Forgot to mention the original lives on ..... and 28 years later , welcome to the club. Enuff said end of story :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
I DONT GET IT ?????:ummm::confused2:

Back