Valve shims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
When you need em, make em,

Attachments

• 002 (Large).jpg
    002 (Large).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 69
Needs to be some hard super smooth stuff for sure or it will eat the cam lobes up in a hurry!

What's the process?

To cut the proper diameter?

And make them the proper thickness?

Or do you buy stock that's already the proper thickness?

Sounds like it would be out if reach for most folks probably ???

The process is not that complicated. I use to grind them myself also. The are
hardened through all and thats not regular metal for sure.´

They are cold rolled materials and Japs mostly use metal powder technology
which is similar to CARBIDE manufactering.

He just ordered a correct material. He then gind them to the required diameter.
Then using the surface grinder he archived the correct thickness.

They should be as hard as rockwell scale goes so 62-68 HRC. The Brinell scale ist mostly used here.

Nice work Steve but the surface roughness should be a bit better as Sean stated.
As far as I can see you have now archived something arund Ra 1.5 which coresponds
with fine surface grinding. You should get yourself a diamond grinding wheel and try to grind
them around 0.5 Ra.

Funny how we might assume things and jump to conclusions.

The shims in the picture are soft, have approx. .1 mm to .15 be finished surface ground after double Nitriding.

After 36 years as an engineer I'm pretty sure I can deal with a few shims...

I may be only 10 years as design engineer, CAD and CAM engineer and curently the workshop
engineer with precision micro endmills manufacture(0.2mm) but I do not have the telepatic abilities to read your mind. I saw a picture and gave you my toughts.
Sorry for being wrong Steve...no harm was planned...

Anyway, they are soft and not finished. Cool!

I am sure they will turn out just fine but as noted the in process pics sure need some more to be complete. I bet they will be very nice when complete. Wonder what kind of cost you'd have in them? I'd like to get a few of the uncommon sizes made but not wanting to spend a fortune to do it. The aftermarket shims (and even Yamaha) only come in .5mm increments and would love to get more variotions in between for a finer adjustment. They did this at the factory when first setting these engines up but don't offer it for later use.

Got them back from Nitriding and cleaned up one face on most of them and will do the final sizing on the weekend when I have a bit of spare time

Attachments

• 001 (Large).jpg
    001 (Large).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 012 (Large).jpg
    012 (Large).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Back